Advice on asking for ORDMOD

Advice on asking for ORDMOD

Postby ga10 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm not at a NIOC, so senior IWs to ask about this are non-existent. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

The detailer offered me a choice between MD and HI for the new cyber units, PCSing in a little over 7 months. The job is absolutely something I would want to do, right up my alley. Choosing MD seemed like a no-brainer at first as my wife's whole family lives there and I'm familiar with the area. However, in the days since I got orders, my wife and I are realizing we're going to have some serious regrets about not jumping on an opportunity to go to HI for 3 years. We both know with the Navy, there are no guarantees I'd get offered another chance to go there, options narrow as I get more senior, and we should have taken advantage of the choice the detailer gave me.

Is it out of line to call him and respectfully ask if he would be willing to do an ORDMOD to send us to HI if spots are still available?

ga10
Registered Member

Re: Advice on asking for ORDMOD

Postby arvizo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 pm

I can't see any harm in asking. Gather your thoughts to concisely explain the change of heart. In the worst case he says no either because the HI billet has already been filled or it's too much hassle. At least that's my thought.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I think arvizo is spot on. I would make sure that you want to go to Hawaii before you call. You will not be able to go back after the ordmod and ask to get your original orders. Finally, if you expect the answer to be no, than at least you tired. There is considerable work that goes into orders, and an ordmod is not as simple as just sending out a new message. However, at the end of the day, I would at least ask (nicely). Does not cost anyhting

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Agree with Arvizo and Wolfpack. Never hurts to ask. And maybe they are having trouble find folks to fill those billets and would welcome the change.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:39 pm

If you really want to go, ask.

After my first duty station, my wife and I talked about what I would request for the next assignment. We came up with a couple of options and when I spoke to the detailer I gave him my preferences:

1. SpecEval duty
2. Duty station preference: Japan, Georgia then BAH

I got flight duty in Japan, came home and my wife then expressed some severe reservations about going overseas at the time. I called back the next day, ate some crow and got an ORDMOD to GA. It happens, but as was said before ... make sure you want the change before you ask for it.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby ga10 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, all. It's good to have a place to ask these kinds of questions when you don't have easy access to an IW chain of command right down the hall!

ga10
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:53 pm

i can't imagine you would have any trouble getting to HI for a cyber job. I know a couple of folks who were offered the same recently (cyber at both MD and HI) and passed on it (HI has a horrible school system and can be culturally difficult, while MD has traffic and is somewhat removed from the "fleet"). There are several billets to fill at both places - more billets than officers who want to/can go. From what i have seen, both places are super easy to get to, as they are our two most populous commands. You should be able to get either place any time time you want. This is especially true for MD. We are so MD heavy with billets even our CAPTs have no problems getting there. If things continue along as they are, HI and MD will be the only duty stations left (jesting, of course). If you look at where the cyber billets are going, they are mostly going to HI and MD with a few elsewhere. Personally, I find it perplexing how we add most new billets to locations which already have tons of people and are overcrowded. I understand the arguments made in support of doing so, but don't completely buy them. Larger commands/groups are inherently more inefficient. I think small teams (commands) are much more productive in many cases (better organizational focus/fidelity and no place to hide).

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 pm

So what was the outcome?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby ga10 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Done! Headed to HI!

ga10
Registered Member