IW CDR/LCDR Milestone Billets

IW CDR/LCDR Milestone Billets

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:36 am

The approved IW CDR/LCDR Milestone Billets list is posted here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/o ... illets.pdf

Note the removal of the PHIBRON DIWC/CRC billets from this list.

Also, many NSW billets and some Cyber jobs were added.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Re: IW CDR/LCDR Milestone Billets

Postby JMG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Also noticed there are no XO billets listed as milestones. I assume that is a given?

It will be interesting to see how this list evolves over the next couple of years.

JMG
Registered Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:49 am

OCM can provide more, but XO jobs are separate. Consider the milestones as 'sea milestones' or equivalent. We can argue that equivalency for a long time....

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:25 am

Would it be safe to assume that completing a milestone is a pre-req for XO?

If so, it'd be redundant to list them on milestone list.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 am

I couldn't find CTF74 CRC on the milestone list. Listed in another fashion? Or perhaps it's an admission that that particular billet isn't a traditional CRC tour and isn't given the equivalent credit?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby JMG » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 am

LIVINGIW wrote:OCM can provide more, but XO jobs are separate.

Yes, Sir. If that is the case then it is more confusing than before. I am not saying it's wrong...just that I do not understand it.

Schlag wrote:Would it be safe to assume that completing a milestone is a pre-req for XO?

My current O-4 XO has not completed any of the listed milestones. Do you know if there are other XOs that have completed a listed milestone? If not then perhaps it will be a prerequisite in the future.

JMG
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Schlag wrote:Would it be safe to assume that completing a milestone is a pre-req for XO?

If so, it'd be redundant to list them on milestone list.

From my experience in working with the detailer there is no correlation between the two. Actually, it almost seems like you can do one or the other and gain equivalent credit. And given the fact that you only really do 2 tours, maybe 2.5, as a LCDR the chances are probably slim that you will do both. Although I can think of some examples of post-tour CRC's becoming XO's.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:11 am

~250 LCDRs on the IWOL + normal zone size of O4s in zone for O5 (about 35 or so) = much more time wearing O4 than 2 tours. Pretty easy to enjoy three tours, i think. A two year tour when selected (milestone), another for two years (XO/milestone) 6-12 months after pinning on, and then a final tour going into zone. The only problem with all this is the flow point timing. At some point people MUST be in zone by a certain point in their career. Best way to get them into zone consistently and in a timely manner is to thin the top first, creating opportunity all the way down, eliminating stagnation; but, we aren't that type of organization. I don't know what they plan to do to maintain flow points in accordance with statute. The URL forecast is showing flow points in excess of the statutory guidance, so i guess it doesn't really matter that much. Something's gotta give. The "good news" should be more experience/tours in each grade than previously and ultimately a better senior officer. The bad news is stagnation reduces extrinsic value (and quite possibly intrinsic) for the best talent and for the Navy, encouraging it to walk.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby TomahawkChop » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:38 am

Sum1 wrote:I couldn't find CTF74 CRC on the milestone list. Listed in another fashion? Or perhaps it's an admission that that particular billet isn't a traditional CRC tour and isn't given the equivalent credit?

Yup, it got yanked. I was going there, then had to change to another job.

TomahawkChop
Registered Member

Postby JMG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm

yoshi wrote:.... Best way to get them into zone consistently and in a timely manner is to thin the top first, creating opportunity all the way down, eliminating stagnation; but, we aren't that type of organization. I don't know what they plan to do to maintain flow points in accordance with statute. The URL forecast is showing flow points in excess of the statutory guidance, so i guess it doesn't really matter that much. Something's gotta give. The "good news" should be more experience/tours in each grade than previously and ultimately a better senior officer. The bad news is stagnation reduces extrinsic value (and quite possibly intrinsic) for the best talent and for the Navy, encouraging it to walk.

When speaking of stagnation are you ultimately saying there is little value in keeping the people at the top (at least the ones who do not advance)? If so then when would be the appropriate time for the 'stagnation' to leave? Two FOS's then "please leave because your usefulness has passed and there are younger folks behind you that are much better than you"? Is there no value to keeping senior officers who do not advance? Or are we simply concerned with getting promoted?

JMG
Registered Member

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner