FY-14 CDR Selects

Re: FY-14 CDR Selects

Postby LIVINGIW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 am

This would take the IW OCM or JO Detailer spending some time and putting it together. It sure would be great for all JO's wondering what the board looks for. The 'board precept' cop-out gets old...

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby atn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:57 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:This would take the IW OCM or JO Detailer spending some time and putting it together. It sure would be great for all JO's wondering what the board looks for. The 'board precept' cop-out gets old...

In addition to strong FITREPS, this is what the board looks for:

Promotion Board Community Briefs

atn
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Related question:

If I've reviewed my record and everything is present and accurate (FITREPs, Awards, AQDs, photo), is it still necessary/recommended to write a letter to the board?

Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby atn » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Sleeper wrote:Related question:

If I've reviewed my record and everything is present and accurate (FITREPs, Awards, AQDs, photo), is it still necessary/recommended to write a letter to the board?

If your record is otherwise in order, a letter is not required unless you desire to bring additional information to the board's attention. A letter would be appropriate if, for instance, you desired to remove yourself from consideration for selection.

Below link is germane:

Communication with Promotion Boards

Hope that's helpful.

atn
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:45 pm

atn wrote:If your record is otherwise in order, a letter is not required unless you desire to bring additional information to the board's attention. A letter would be appropriate if, for instance, you desired to remove yourself from consideration for selection.

Thanks for the reply. I ask because I've heard senior officers say that you should always submit a letter to the board to show that you are [fully engaged / a hard-charger / taking an interest in your career]. To me, that seems redundant at best, and narcissistic at worst.

Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby atn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:50 am

Sleeper wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I ask because I've heard senior officers say that you should always submit a letter to the board to show that you are [fully engaged / a hard-charger / taking an interest in your career]. To me, that seems redundant at best, and narcissistic at worst.

Our records should be able to speak for themselves without the need to re-state "Please pick me". Again, if there is something unique or additional that needs to be brought to the attention of the board, then a letter would be appropriate. Letters are also used to submit items to the board if you think the normal submission channels may have missed the board deadline (e.g. an award, late-breaking FITREP) or for letters of recommendation from a third party.

Letters to the board are typically brought to the Board President's attention at the time the record is briefed, though he/she will likely not read it at that time unless there is a special circumstance (i.e. clearing up something that is confusing elsewhere in the record).

The keys:
- Photo
- FITREP continuity on dates
- Undergrad and Grad Ed (as applicable) reflected
- Relevant AQDs (some are more relevant than others): IWO, IDWO, Joint, etc.

atn
Experienced Member

Postby JMG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 am

If you are IZ or AZ then definitely write a letter. It is self serving and narcissistic but it is another way to break out from your peers. There are many records the board has to analyze and a short time to do it. Write a letter that states why you think you are the best qualified and support your assertion(s) with facts that can be found in your record. If you do this smartly then you can provide the briefer with important highlights that the voting members should be aware of. Make the letter succinct since, again, there are a lot of records. No more than 1 page.

However, if you construct a letter that makes you look foolish or half-witted then you will diminish your chances. It's a double-edged sword.

atn wrote:The keys:
- Photo

The keys are very important but nothing is certain. An effective letter can help you...worse case is it does nothing.

JMG
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 pm

JMG wrote:If you are IZ or AZ then definitely write a letter. It is self serving and narcissistic but it is another way to break out from your peers. There are many records the board has to analyze and a short time to do it. Write a letter that states why you think you are the best qualified and support your assertion(s) with facts that can be found in your record. If you do this smartly then you can provide the briefer with important highlights that the voting members should be aware of. Make the letter succinct since, again, there are a lot of records. No more than 1 page.

However, if you construct a letter that makes you look foolish or half-witted then you will diminish your chances. It's a double-edged sword.

- Photo

The keys are very important but nothing is certain. An effective letter can help you...worse case is it does nothing.

I have never heard that advice before. Can you provide a little background on why you think that is a good idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:57 am

JMG wrote:If you are IZ or AZ then definitely write a letter. It is self serving and narcissistic but it is another way to break out from your peers. There are many records the board has to analyze and a short time to do it. Write a letter that states why you think you are the best qualified and support your assertion(s) with facts that can be found in your record. If you do this smartly then you can provide the briefer with important highlights that the voting members should be aware of. Make the letter succinct since, again, there are a lot of records. No more than 1 page.

- Photo

Writing a letter strikes me as a single act of desperation. And one that may actually signal doubt in your own record.

If the board really cared about what the member thought, than a letter would be required. Or maybe they'd invite you to brief your own record.

In reality, ALL that matters is what is in your record. Nothing else.

Disclaimer: This post was informed by common sense only. The author has never participated in the selection board process, although he would like to one day.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby JMG » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 pm

HH-60H wrote:I have never heard that advice before. Can you provide a little background on why you think that is a good idea?

Just advice I have received from post command O-5's and O-6's. Nothing gospel...just advice.

COMEVIL wrote:Writing a letter strikes me as a single act of desperation. And one that may actually signal doubt in your own record.

If you do it right then it can help you. If you do it wrong then it will come across as a single act of desperation and may actually signal doubt.

COMEVIL wrote:In reality, ALL that matters is what is in your record. Nothing else.

If this were true then all the good officers would be promoted...

JMG
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner