FY-14 CDR Selects

FY-14 CDR Selects

Postby Twidget » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 am

Congratulations to the following selectees:

Special Duty Officer (Information Warfare)

Alexander Mark Raymond
Brandes Sean Jason
Cadena Robert C
Dudley James Carson Jr
Emmersen Tracy Lyn
Eng Christopher D
Ernest Kevin Lynn
Filanowicz David Walte
Garrison Matthew Wayne
Groenke Jonathan M
Harding Brian Albert
Jacobson Blake G
Keating Cynthia Patric
Lashmet Paul David
Low Danyelle Marie
Mclemore Andrea Joy
Newsome Andrew Thomas
Nisbett Roger D
Sisson Joseph Edward

The full message can be found here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/ALNAVS/ALN2013/ALN13035.txt

Twidget

Re: FY-14 CDR Selects

Postby CNO Guy » Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Congrats to all those selected...know several of these individuals and all well deserved!

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat May 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Congrats to all those selected.

For our friends in Millington, it would be nice to see some updated stats for this year to help guide the rest of us through. The last stats posted are from FY12.

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Just an honest question (seriously not asking with any sarcasm, cynicism, or agenda).

Overall selection % for O-5 was 59.3%. Lower than the URL of 69.9% and the IDC ranged throughout the 60's. Of the 19 IW's selected, 3 were above zone resulting in the in-zone going to a flat 50%. Within the selection group, 3 of 19 were above zone (15% of those selected). Hard to contrast against previous year numbers because only 6 O-5's were made last year, but of those 5, one was above zone (resulting in 16%).

My question is this - is the relatively high selection of above zone officers a reflection of the fact that our community accepts a large number of lateral transfers (who are potentially O-4 when they enter the community) and need more time in order to be viewed favorably as future O-5's? Or is this the result of large number of high quality officers and people were "left on the table" last year only to get picked up this year?

Like I said, not trying to start a debate about the quality of officers or community management WRT promotions. I was just curious if it's a "nature of the beast" phenomenon (lateral transfers) or if the competition is just that fierce.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat May 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Schlag wrote:Overall selection % for O-5 was 59.3%. Lower than the URL of 69.9% and the IDC ranged throughout the 60's. Of the 19 IW's selected, 3 were above zone resulting in the in-zone going to a flat 50%. Within the selection group, 3 of 19 were above zone (15% of those selected). Hard to contrast against previous year numbers because only 6 O-5's were made last year, but of those 5, one was above zone (resulting in 16%).

Selection rate and opportunity rate are not the same measurements, nor is there any need for those numbers to be equal or similar. We cannot necessarily compare the IDC opportunity rates to the URL, or even the communities within the IDC. The Navy employs a promote-to-vacancy model, and each community has its own vacancies, and thus different opportunity rates and flow points. The IDC promotion plans (in terms of # of selects, flow points and opportunity rates) are in no way linked. The different number of selects from year to year are also a function of filling vacancies (created by officers promoting or separating) within the parameters of the flow point and opportunity rates that are dictated by policy for each controlled grade.

Schlag wrote:My question is this - is the relatively high selection of above zone officers a reflection of the fact that our community accepts a large number of lateral transfers (who are potentially O-4 when they enter the community) and need more time in order to be viewed favorably as future O-5's? Or is this the result of large number of high quality officers and people were "left on the table" last year only to get picked up this year?

Without being in the tank session (which OCMs are not), it is nearly impossible to predict why a specific board made its selections. Rationale is not fed back to the OCMs (this would violate the confidentiality of board proceedings). This is one reason that statistics about who went under which career "wicket" are not promulgated - its not enough to go under a wicket; we have to go under it AND get outstanding FITREPs. What we DO know is that FITREPs are the primary lens through which the promotion board views officers' performance. We can thus conclude that those who were selected had superior FITREPs. It's difficult to compare different boards, since there are different board members at each one - each with their own background, bias, and rationale. So good officers can get left "on the table". And yes, there is a large number of high quality officers in the community - which is very encouraging.

I hope that's helpful, even if not terribly conclusive. As always, I'm very happy to make time to talk if individuals have questions.

V/r, IW OCM
901-874-3123

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 am

IW OCM wrote:Without being in the tank session (which OCMs are not), it is nearly impossible to predict why a specific board made its selections. Rationale is not fed back to the OCMs (this would violate the confidentiality of board proceedings). This is one reason that statistics about who went under which career "wicket" are not promulgated - its not enough to go under a wicket; we have to go under it AND get outstanding FITREPs.

Sir, is this to say that there won't be stats coming from the O-6 or O-5 boards?

On a somewhat (but kind of separate note), is there a list of updated "milestone" billets for the community? I've asked around my command (DH's and XO) about what is considered a "milestone" and the answers are wide and varied with some answers stating that a particular tour is an "equivalent milestone". Equivalent milestone seems to be about as clear as mud to be, but perhaps I'm not savvy enough to understand the nuance (or lack of nuance).

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Sun May 19, 2013 3:33 am

Schlag wrote:
Sir, is this to say that there won't be stats coming from the O-6 or O-5 boards?

On a somewhat (but kind of separate note), is there a list of updated "milestone" billets for the community? I've asked around my command (DH's and XO) about what is considered a "milestone" and the answers are wide and varied with some answers stating that a particular tour is an "equivalent milestone". Equivalent milestone seems to be about as clear as mud to be, but perhaps I'm not savvy enough to understand the nuance (or lack of nuance).

The stats that ARE published can be found here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/b ... fault.aspx

The OCMs will not be producing a set of separate statistics that depict which individuals performed certain assignments. The detailers may decide to do something along those lines, though I caution against incorrect analysis based on these depictions. We lack visibility on the individuals' FITREPs and the mindset of the board members. On the whole, I think we'll find that boards select individuals who have achieved the milestones outlined in our community briefs:

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/B ... riefs.aspx

The list of IW milestones is in the process of being more formally codified - the draft list is in chop enroute to our IW senior leadership - more to follow. In the meantime, the detailers are the best source of info regarding tours that garner milestone credit.
I understand fully the desire to know what path is laid out before us - we're working to increase visibility toward that end. The career path chart, community briefs, milestone listing and the advice of mentors will go a long way in mapping out a significant career.

V/r,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am

Twidget wrote:Congratulations to the following selectees:

Special Duty Officer (Information Warfare)

Alexander Mark Raymond
Brandes Sean Jason
Cadena Robert C
Dudley James Carson Jr
Emmersen Tracy Lyn
Eng Christopher D
Ernest Kevin Lynn
Filanowicz David Walte
Garrison Matthew Wayne
Groenke Jonathan M
Harding Brian Albert
Jacobson Blake G
Keating Cynthia Patric
Lashmet Paul David
Low Danyelle Marie
Mclemore Andrea Joy
Newsome Andrew Thomas
Nisbett Roger D
Sisson Joseph Edward

Time to change my name to 'O-5's hate me' as my 1610 board members all seem to be on this list!! I'm just kidding with you guys, congratulations.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby JMG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:27 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Congrats to all those selected.

For our friends in Millington, it would be nice to see some updated stats for this year to help guide the rest of us through. The last stats posted are from FY12.

v/r

COMEVIL

Although this does take some considerable man hours, it would be good information to have. These stats help set the focus for individuals to break out from their peers.

On a similar note, I have notice a lack of this type of information in the board literature. Outside of the standard/reoccurring information in the convening orders and precepts, I have noticed a lack of 'skill requirements' for IW within the convening orders. In fact, this past year had nothing listed for IDC designations. Typically there would be 'Joint experience' or 'Education and Training' added as a skill requirement that should be considered for promotion. I am not sure this ever held much weight during the selection process but it would be interesting to know if this is something that is still used. I guess the information under '[xxx] community consideration" contains some of this useful information.

JMG
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 am

Agree, JMG. Not sure who at BUPERS put this together in the past but I thought it was good insight.

Example from the last one posted on BUPERS, FY-12 CDR, is pasted below:

MILESTONE: 6/14
LDRSHP: 6/14 (XO: 2/14; OIC: 4/14)
#FC STAFF: 2/14
CSG/ESG/CPR: 5/14
CYBER EXP/ED: 5/14
SWO/AV/NAO: 6/14
OOD: 7/14
GRAD ED: 12/14
JNT ED: 12/14
JNT TOUR (IN/DONE): 2/14
GSA/IA: 4/14
SPACE CADRE: 2/14
ACQ: 2/14
LAT TRANS: 4/14

Notes: As expected, selection based on sustained superior performance in command leadership and sea/operational leadership assignments, qualifications, joint and graduate education.
- In the absence of hard breakouts as with 1/1 tours, soft breakouts and reporting senior average in comparison with command peer group is critical discriminator.
- As last stat indicates Lateral Transfers fared well and remain competitive regardless of how senior they were entering the community. The secret is timing and hitting the streets running.
- Missing college education, AQDs, FITREPs (continuity), in grade official photo. Far too many Officers wait until 23 hour or even post board adjourn to identify and pursue resolution. Review your record early, it’s your responsibility!

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner