IW Milestone Screening

IW Milestone Screening

Postby webmaster » Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 pm

Got the following from the Community Manager recently:

"We have postponed the IWO Milestone Screening Board for this Spring. Senior leadership is not yet satisfied with the completeness of the proposed milestone assignments. When the board occurs, it will screen for both sea and shore jobs. Once rescheduled, we will ensure that it is announced well in advance."

webmaster
Administrator

Postby IW OCM » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:11 am

RADM Deets has commissioned a Milestone Process Working Group. A small cadre of IWOs (O3-O6) will congregate next week (15/16 JUL) at Fort Meade to identify specific COAs for the consideration of the Community Leader. Details will be provided by RADM Deets once the optimal way ahead is identified.

Expectation is to hold the first board in FY2009.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby Twidget » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Just noticed this on the OCM's blog:
After healthy discussion and constructive debate at the IWO Community Forum over the last two days, the course of milestone screening process development has changed. The task at hand is to develop a screening process focused entirely on selecting individuals for CO positions. Proposal due to Admiral Deets within 60 days to support our SEP 2009 Command (not milestone) Screening Board. More to follow...

Does this mean the milestone screening process is being limited in scope purely to looking at near-term fill of CO billets, rather than culling the herd at the CRC/OIC/XO level?

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby IW OCM » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:31 am

That is correct. Got a few questions from people and answered them on the blog.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

IW LDO FUTURE

Postby hockeybone » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 pm

I have heard several rumblings about the LDO community stagnating at 04? What is the plan for promoting LDO's to 05. I understand 06 is going away? Every senior officer I talk to, tells me to re-des, what that tells me, we are going away, After two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, I think we are viable as Stratergic, operational and technical experts, Why are we being phased out? I have yet to hear a logical answer. Our field requires technical and operational dominated skill set. Not sure I understand the logic of getting rid of LDO's and increasing our numbers of OCS grads. R

hockeybone
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:22 pm

No one is phasing out LDOs, and if you look at the FY09 IW accession numbers posted here by the IW CM earlier this year the number of OCS grads is actually being significantly reduced.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sparkplug » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:58 am

I think that one of the big issues with IW LDOs is their ability to stay competitive about the O4 level. When compared with their LDO brethren in the line-type communities (Ops, Deck, Engineering, and Combat Systems, for example), they generally have significantly less Fleet operational time and are therefore not necessarily as competitive at board where the majority of members are URLs.

The think to remember is that while 1610s only compete against other 1610s (who likely have similar opportunities), 6440s compete against all other LDOs, who have opportunities that our LDOs do not. Sometimes its not necessarily a matter of job performance, but experience and having the right credits in your record.

If you want increased opportunities for promotion, I recommend you convert. Just looking at the promotion percentages for 6440s vs 1610s should tell the whole story.

Sparkplug
Experienced Member

Postby BTS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:54 pm

I'm not sure why the IW CM is no longer posting here (or on his blog), but when he last visited our area he was clear IRT LDO's - considering IW LDO's as a 1610 feeder path.

I, obviously, can not speak for him directly, but that was clear in his statements. Maybe it's not formal community policy????

BTS
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 pm

It's not formal policy. There are billets for IW LDOs at the O-5 and O-6 levels that are currently empty because getting promoted past O-4 for LDOs is decidedly more difficult than for a 1610. That is one of the biggest reasons our upper leadership have been encouraging LDOs to convert to 1610 if they want to stay in the Navy and still stay competitive for promotion.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner