SWO/IP Option: When will I convert

SWO/IP Option: When will I convert

Postby SandSailor86 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 am

As with everything in the Navy, procedures change. When I began this process STA-21 SWO/IP's were to complete their initial tour (24months) and redesignate IP upon completion of the SWO qualification. Now I'm curious as to when I will get to move on in my career path and redesignate to IP. I've heard now and I've heard after my next DIVO tour.

I assume I should be grandfathered in...

Here is what I know and a little background of my timeline:
STA-21 FY09 Selectee (Selected and signed NOV 2008)
Began BOOST/NSI FEB09
Began College AUG09
GRAD/Commissioned 05MAY2012
Currently Serving a 30 month SWO DIVO tour as COMMO

DEC 09 MILPERSMAN 1212-050 INFORMATION PROFESSIONAL (IP) OPTION was released. It now stipulates two DIVO tours and requires member to be within 6 months of promotion to O-3 prior to redesignation.

When I began this MILPERSMAN was not in effect, now I'm left wondering where I fall. Am I destined to be a SWO for another tour or do I get to continue on my career path and contribute to the cyber front?

I've really been looking forward to working on my IDW during our next deployment as my shipmates are working on their EOOW... That is if I am redesignated in time. If not, I'll just work on TAO and hope I'm slated for a second tour that applies to the IP world.

SandSailor86
Registered Member

Postby Schlag » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 am

I was a SWO-IW who became an IW last year.

The MILPERSMAN will prevail. When I became a SWO-IW it was actually even quicker to make the transition (get your pin, then lat transfer). Over the course of my tour, it lengthened to complete 1 tour, and then complete 2 tours (or so the SWO Detailers interpreted).

In reality, the MILPERSMAN (at least when I transitioned) said to execute at the 3.5 YCS mark but you could negotiate orders as soon as 3 YCS. Now, I was a Fallen Angel and my flight school time burned up a lot of my SWO time so I only had to do one tour because of timing. But my transfer was IAW the MILPERSMAN.

First thing to do would be to check your record and make sure you have the SWO-IP AQD in your record. That was another fun little thing I stumbled upon. I didn't have the SWO-IW AQD in my record after redesignation from flight school; to which the SWO Detailers said "tough, looks like you're a SWO now, bitch". If you don't have the SWO-IP AQD, recommend you reach out to the IP OCM. The IW OCM at the time went and retroactively put the SWO-IW AQD in my record to flag my record and save me from the SWOs.

Once your record is flagged, the lat transfer is automatic and you'll get a memo from PERS-8 at between 3-3.5 YCS that will administratively change your designator from 1110 to 1820.

From what you've said, it sounds like you'll have some more SWO time. To be honest, I'd take advantage of your time on the ship and knock out an advanced qual (TAO/EOOW). I think that'll help you in the long run and in my opinion add more to your professional development as an Officer. At least as an IW, I found my SWO experiences burned up about 50% of the IWO/IDWO PQS once I finally made the transfer.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby SandSailor86 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks for the reply! I checked my record and I do have IP listed in my AQD, but I noticed that my formal education block is blank. Good thing you recommended I check on the AQD or I wouldn't have caught this just yet.

I have considered if I do have to continue on as SWO a little longer that I would work on the TAO qual before I transfer and look for an IPish billet for a second tour or fleet up to stay onboard my current command. If/when I do slate for a second SWO tour would I gap the billet once I redesignate after only 11 months into the tour? If so I would be more inclined to have a conversation with my CO to see about the fleet up option, while giving him a heads up on this.

I have also considered CICO on a big deck for a second SWO tour just so I can stay closer to the IP community.

Once I earn the SWO pin I will have a conversation with the detailer and my CO, but I look forward to any additional advice or comments.

SandSailor86
Registered Member

Postby Schlag » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 am

Just based on my experiences, I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to an IP-type billet. I was a Engineering Divo during my time as a SWO and thought that I'd be behind the powercurve when I transferred to IW. As it was, I was able to quickly get my 1810 and IDWO qual once I made it to my command because I found a lot of my Engineering experience was actually quite relevant to what I was to do as an IW Officer.

The IW OCM might be able to give you some insight as to how SWO-IW are handled and whether they actually do PCS to another ship. I would think that it would make the most sense to remain onboard, but if nothing else, I can almost guarantee the detailer will keep you in the same homeport if you do go to a second ship for second tour.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Re: SWO/IP Option: When will I convert

Postby SandSailor86 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 am

The subject has come back to surface with my DH's while discussing various career options (It is FITREP time). I decided to contact the detailer today to get a straight answer so that I can relay the info to my CoC and we can realistically evaluate my career options at this time. Plus, I'm sure their is someone else out there that this may apply to. I'll be sure to post back when I have the answer.

SandSailor86
Registered Member

Postby Schlag » Sun May 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Be sure to contact your prospective designator detailer (in this case your IP Detailer) because the SWO detailers were less than willing to help me out when I was going through the process. In fact, they tried to forget about the whole option thing and detail me to a 2nd tour Divo job.

Definitive reference for all option programs are as follow:

MILPERSMAN 1212-040: Engineering Duty (ED) Option Program
MILPERSMAN 1212-050: Information Professional (IP) Option Program
MILPERSMAN 1212-060: Information Warfare (IW) Option Program
MILPERSMAN 1212-070: Oceanography (OCEAN) Option Program
MILPERSMAN 1212-080: Intelligence (INTEL) Option Program

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby SandSailor86 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 am

Absolutely! I contacted the IP detailer because I assumed the SWO detailer would right it off. The IP detailer said normally he would say, "YES you have to do two SWO tours", but he said given my timeline he will have to engage the SWO detailer and figure out where I land. Hopefully he has better luck with the SWO detailer than I would of on my own.

SandSailor86
Registered Member

Postby SandSailor86 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:01 am

I received an answer of sorts:

"It shouldn't make much of a difference. You have the AQD for SWO/IP in your record (LOB, to be precise), which will mean you will be tracked for conversion to IP at the proper time."

I still have no definition of "the proper time," but I'm assuming this just means needs of the Navy. So, the second tour is still up in the air. I guess I'll plan for uncertainty in my future.

SandSailor86
Registered Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner