New SWO Qual Instruction --- Removal of 1810s From Eligibility

Re: New SWO Qual Instruction --- Removal of 1810s From Eligi

Postby Mjölnir » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:52 pm

The CO on the DDG I was assigned did a walkthrough prior to the boards. Each he limited to one hour -- "If you can't convince me in an hour you know what you are talking about, you probably don't" He told me as we began the walkthrough that he knew I knew everything topside (I had done a decent job as OPS for about 6 months), we spent 45 minutes in Main 1 ... wow.

My board was big picture Navy doctrine, how does the Surface for integrate into the larger picture, how do things work get done etc.

For TAO, that was a different story, that board was three hours & very in-depth.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, our command did all of us a big favor and actually sent a list out of topics that each person will stick. So far they've done a pretty good job staying inside their topic swim lanes, but the topics are VARIED, to say the least (as you'd expect). Because we have the topic list the DHs are less inclined to help us during a "kiss the ring" scenario, although it probably strokes their ego a little, which can't hurt.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 am

It's less about getting help during a pre-board and more about showing that you care about the board. They might not help, but they will at least give you things to lookup. Or they might say nothing, make you feel like crap at the end and then think to themselves "well, those are all questions that I don't have to ask him and now we can have fun at the board."

Despite the randomness of my board, the debrief I got from CHENG (my DH at the time) and the CO & XO was that it was one of the best they saw because they could go into areas that they had never thought about going into during a board. I told them I felt like I got more right in college than at that board. They said that they knew it wasn't going to be do anyone any good to ask the normal questions because I already knew the answers. They wanted to see what I didn't know and how I handled not knowing something.

Despite the pain and hazing, I'm really glad that I did the process. It also put things in perspective when I came around and had to do IWO/IDWO.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Done and done... I wonder if anyone else is going to slip in there and finish their pins before the 31 December deadline. Thanks for all the advice!

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Sum1 wrote:Done and done... I wonder if anyone else is going to slip in there and finish their pins before the 31 December deadline. Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats! Wear it with pride!

Not to knock our own new pin, but I'm sure you sense of accomplishment is peaked by qualifying as a Surface Warfare Officer!

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Yea, not to devalue our pin, but this one took a lot more effort, and frankly, I've basically been a SWO for more than two years. My OPS (a good friend, actually) make the joke after the board that now I should make people call me I-SWO instead of IWO.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:26 pm

"Comevil - Not to knock our own new pin, but I'm sure you sense of accomplishment is peaked by qualifying as a Surface Warfare Officer!
Sum1 - Yea, not to devalue our pin, but this one took a lot more effort, and frankly, I've basically been a SWO for more than two years"

A little history - when the SWO pin came out, the SWO's hated it. They thought it was a joke and that it did not mean much. It was not until they, as a community, decided to make it mean something - several years later. If you look at many of the posts on this website, it is about how to get the answers to the questions in the carious PQS books. What websites have what information. The IDWO pin will become a useless check in the block until such time as the IDC decided to make it mean something.

I was very proud when I earned my SWO pin. Took two boards, each one over 2 1/2 hours long. Sample questions were to be able to determine at what range an Exocet missile would be detected, what system would see it first, and then, using the ships self defense doctrine, explain how to engage it, discussing the caps/lims of each system. I screwed up engineering and my second board was all about engineering. At the end, I truely knew the ships front and backwards. up and down. At my second ship, the weapon systems were different, as was engineering, but the foundation was so solid, it tok no time to get up to speed. Heck, when I went back to sea as a CDR, I was still able to apply the knowledge I had learned.

Are we doing that with the IDWO boards? I sat on a few, and the JOs get pissed that I don;t ask questions form the book, but expect them to be able to apply all the aspects of the information together and step through a problem. Is that what we, as a Corps, are doing. Until we make the standard high, and fail people ( and some have failed), the insignia and the IDC will not get respect.

OK, rant over, but I think that the IDC is at a tipping point, and it is up the the iron LCDRs (to steal an Army idea) to make the IDWO pin into something worthwhile. Just as it was the LTs and LCDRs who did it in the SWO community. The CDRs and CAPTs can help, should help, must help. But, so long as folks, like me, are wearing their insignia because of a test (there had to be a staring point somewhere), the standard will be questions.

By the way, since the pin was created, there have only been two people outside the IDC who have earned the IDWO pin, of over 100 applications to be exempt. The exemption standard is very high.

Congrats on earning the SWO pin, no small feat.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks,

Interesting about the exceptions... I didn't know that was possible. Would it be too forward to ask what the two people with approved exceptions were doing to get the waiver?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:18 am

Sum1 wrote:Would it be too forward to ask what the two people with approved exceptions were doing to get the waiver?

Wearing three stars?

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:57 pm

O-4's hate me wrote:
Sum1 wrote:Would it be too forward to ask what the two people with approved exceptions were doing to get the waiver?

Wearing three stars?

Wasn't that just a farce? All due respect to VADM Card, but I would have rather seen him say something like, " I am honored to be a part of the IDC and have been given the unique opportunity to lead this nascent community for the next 2-3 years. But I am not an IDC Officer and will never have the requisite knowledge to qualify as an IDWO." Instead he "completed" the PQS and had a "board" as if it was all legitimate and routine. And we wonder why the qualification lacks respect.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner