New SWO Qual Instruction --- Removal of 1810s From Eligibility

New SWO Qual Instruction --- Removal of 1810s From Eligibility

Postby Sum1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

New COMNAVSURFPAC/COMNAVSURFLANT INSTRUCTION 1412.1, signed 25 Feb 13, removes any mention of 1810s as eligible to earn a SWO pin while PCS afloat. Enclosure 1 lists the designators Required to Qualify (116x and lat transfers), Surface LDO/CWO Required to Qualify (61xx, 640x, 641x, 649x, 71xx, 740x, 741x, 749x), and Requires COMNAVSURFOR Approved Eligibility Request (144x, 146x, 62x, 72xx). The next line specifically states "All other designators not listed are not Eligible for SWO Qualification."

There have been rumblings about this as a possibility for a while, but as someone who's 75% through the PQS process for the qualification, I'm pretty bummed. I'm going to the command in the hopes that there might be some kind of accommodation for me to finish it and still get pinned. I know we have our own pin, now, but I hate to see more opportunities drop away.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby IW 1984 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 am

Yes, I am in the same boat for my CoC just notified me today that I am no longer eligible to earn the SWO pin. I plan on still attaining the OOD (U/W) which is what many did when IWs were ineligble a few years back until the 2009 SWO Qual instruction deemed us eligible again. Hopefully the board understands because I am a little behind my year group in my PCS Afloat tour, and my YG who went as LTJGs were able to earn their pin.

IW 1984
Registered Member

Postby Mjölnir » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:30 pm

IW 1984 wrote:Hopefully the board understands because I am a little behind my year group in my PCS Afloat tour, and my YG who went as LTJGs were able to earn their pin.

You could ask your CO to note your quals but the lack of pin and policy change on your FITREP. When the time comes, you can always write a letter to the board detailing that during your PCS afloat tour was when the policy changed. If the briefer briefing your package points it out then no big deal, but you can communicate to the board anything you feel pertinent that is not in your record.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby bubblehead » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:28 am

A step in the right direction. Hopefully they will implement the same policy on subs (i.e., do not allow riders to earn their sub qual).

Bioled my blood seeing DIRSUP folks carrying around a qual card from sub to sub, getting signatures here an there and on different subs.

There is an IDWO and an EIDWS now. DIRSUP folks and associated IDC SWO ships company need to focus on those.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 am

2 sides to every arguement. Warmed my DSO heart to see the riders take interest in the sub. 12 on 12 off. If you want to use your 12 hours off to qualify on the boat, AWESOME. I challenged all my Sailors to do it. And after 4 back to back to back to back sub trips, alot of those guys had alot more underway time than the ships company.

Not saying there is anything wrong with your viewpoint, I get what you are saying. I just respectfully disagree.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby enavypa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:35 am

IWOs have been ineligible to earn Officer Dolphins per MILPERS. The new SWO instruction has no impact on enlisted riders... they should absolutely have the ability to qualify ESWS or Enlisted Dolphins. I've had several Sailors nearly qualify on multiple boats and then finally finish on another boat. This is up to the boats qualification coordinator and in many cases they've made my guys start from scratch.

enavypa
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 pm

One of my proudest accomplishments as a sub DSO was getting 7 of 8 unqualified guys their dolphins during a 3-4 month deployment. I was happy to take on some extra work to let my guys, including my Chief, finally finish. The folks back at the DIRSUP shop called it the "Great Dolphin Give-Away of 2010," but every single Sailor earned it. My next trip 5 of 8 got it during a 5 month where we were in port more than we were underway.

I'd much rather see Sailors (riders or otherwise) improving themselves by qualifying than sitting around on the mess decks watching movies and playing cards. Bubblehead... what would have boiled your blood more... the riders carrying cards around trying to get signatures, or coming up to the mess decks to see 6 riders sitting around doing nothing every time you went by? They are port and starboard 12 hours on and 12 off, so you have one extreme or another, and I can tell you that all the boats I was on appreciated that the riders came on board and contributed to the overall operations of the ship (my guys carried shore power cables and trash in every single port). To each his own. You reap what you sow, and I made it a point to emphasize "one screw, one crew." If the boat guys had a hangup about that, then that's their issue.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby TarHeel98 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm

I hate seeing PCS'ed IW's (as well as DIRSUP IW's!) lose this opportunity. It really was a great way to become a better IW. I know it sounds a bit odd to say that a SWO qualification makes you a better IW, but it really did.

TarHeel98

Postby IP Hokie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Looks like there is still a chance to get your qualification before the end of the year.

050125Z MAR 13
FM COMNAVSURFOR SAN DIEGO CA

Para 2.D.:
FOR OFFICERS IN DESIGNATORS WHOSE SWO QUALIFICATION ELIGIBILITY WAS ELIMINATED BY THE NEW INSTRUCTION, WAIVERS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR QUALIFICATIONS ALREADY IN PROGRESS THAT CAN BE COMPLETED BY 31 DEC 2013. SUBMIT WAIVER REQUESTS TO CNSP/CNSL N7 AS APPROPRIATE.

IP Hokie
Registered Member

Postby TarHeel98 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am

Good news for those who are close!

TarHeel98

Next

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner