3yr Initial Tour now 2yrs?

3yr Initial Tour now 2yrs?

Postby Schlag » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Hey, has anyone heard if the 3yr initial tour at the big four has turned into a 2yr tour w/o an ORDMOD?

We just had 5 people that hit their 2yr mark disappear overnight on orders.

....to say the least, XO was not pleased... lol

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Pwlk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Schlag wrote:Hey, has anyone heard if the 3yr initial tour at the big four has turned into a 2yr tour w/o an ORDMOD?

We just had 5 people that hit their 2yr mark disappear overnight on orders.

....to say the least, XO was not pleased... lol

The way I have seen/heard it is minimum two years, but if you get your pin and XO gives thumbs up, somewhere in that third year, pack up and move on. Not sure I have seen anyone leave right at the two year mark, probably average around the 30 month mark.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 am

i'm interested to see where they put them, especially when the new enhanced carrier deployment schedule rolls out (7 years for enlisted, 3 for officers).

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:48 am

This is drastically different than what the leadership was briefing just a year or two ago with the proposal to go to a five year initial tour (give two solid years for qualification and training and then three years return on the investment for the NSA site and/or riding in a DIRSUP role). So now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction. I know right now I've been told that my replacement on the ship is already penciled in, and she will be leaving her command right around the 2 year point, but she's a spousal co-location.

BT BT

Yoshi, what did you mean about this "carrier deployment" comment? Did you mean "career deployment?"

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Not sure of the orders for each member that received orders overnight, but I think I've been hearing that most of them were PCS Afloat (mix of DDG/CVN depending on paygrade).

It's kind of interesting though because some of the people that were "grabbed" are in a DSO billet already. The command certainly hasn't been happy about that because they weren't able to get a return on investment after spending at least 1.5 years training them in IWO/IDWO and DSO only to maybe get one deployment out of them.

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:16 am

Same problem, different generation. When I was finishing up my training to ride subsurface DSO we had so many in the program that the DIRSUP DH was talking it up how we were only going to have to make one deployment before getting pulled to the NSA/shore support side. That only happened for a few folks, and then those of us who were left did two, three, and sometimes more. I was sending people back to sea after having done their two deployments because the command wouldn't let me put people on UI rides until after they were fully qualified everywhere else... which meant the old guard had to keep doing all the rides. I think for a 5 month period there were zero (0) U/I's riding to get qualified... which should NEVER happen. Letting people go at the 2 year mark would only create a similar problem, or make an already existing problem even worse.

I also never really understood why the community is so keen on sending folks who already did surface or sub DIRSUP to a PCS afloat billet. There are plenty who didn't get that experience as a first tour. I think that's another discussion, though.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner