SWO/IP possible not fit for sea duty...Then what?

SWO/IP possible not fit for sea duty...Then what?

Postby sum25guy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 am

Hello all,

I'm a SWO/IP and a little way into my SWO tour and enjoying every bit of it!

I had an accident two years ago that caused severe re-occurring migraines, but had a nerve block to help stop them. My condition improved and I received a waiver to commission because of this.

I still get them from time to time, but not like before. The frequency and intensity is growing though. I am dealing with it for now.

My question is, if I go to DOC and request to see a neurologist to get a nerve block again am I possibly risking my fitness for sea duty?

I like where I'm at now and I want to earn my SWO Pin before I carry on to the IP community, but if I am no longer deemed fit for sea duty will I be discharged or rather allowed to carry on as an IP without earning my SWO pin?

I just wanted to put the question out their because I love the Navy (almost 8 years in) and do not want to mess up a potential 30 year career. I plan to suck it up as long as possible, but eventually it will turn to the point where it becomes obvious and I want to have all bases covered.

Thanks for any input!

sum25guy
Registered Member

Postby Snake » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am

Are you willing to risk your health for a SWO pin?

Go see the doctor. Seriously, nobody else is going to take care of you; you need to look out for numero uno here.

Snake
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:31 am

Snake wrote:Are you willing to risk your health for a SWO pin?

Go see the doctor. Seriously, nobody else is going to take care of you; you need to look out for numero uno here.

What Snake said.

Not to mention, my wife suffers from the same. She saw the doc, got some pills to take when she feels one coming on, problem solved...

BL: Got see the doc!

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby sum25guy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 pm

It isn't just that I feel a SWO pin is more important than my health, I feel like I can manage for now... I just worry about it effecting my entire career. Will it lead to a discharge... that is my fear. If things do get worse and I decide to go to DOC will it be possible to continue on as an IP with out fulfilling the SWO part of my SWO/IP contract?

Ultimately when worse comes to worst I will have to see the DOC, but when I do I just wonder what I'm in for career wise :confused:

My best hope is that the migraines stay manageable till I earn my pin and simply carry on smartly from there on.

sum25guy
Registered Member

Postby Wolfpack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Go see the doc, no pin is worth jeopardizing your health. If you get a med down on sea duty, then figure out your options. Remember, there is still sea duty and the requirement to deploy around the world as an IP.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 pm

sum25guy wrote:If things do get worse and I decide to go to DOC will it be possible to continue on as an IP with out fulfilling the SWO part of my SWO/IP contract?

Anything is possible. There are waivers for everything, but you should definitely get checked out. You don't want to end up in a situation where the condition degrades and you could potentially put yourself and others on the ship at risk when things kick into high gear during an emergency.

IPs can't promote without completing "operational" tours at LCDR, CDR, and CAPT. The majority of the OP tours are on ship, but there are some on land in overseas location such as Bahrain and Naples. There's a medical screening for overseas similar to sea-duty.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby sum25guy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am

Thanks for all the replies and the concern. The other day I had a HM3 buzz on the door down in RADIO to see if I was free to get a shot.. While I was in medical I talked 'about' Migraines to Doc with out initially telling him it was for me. Then he asked "why do you have a guy trying to get off the boat?" So, I told him, "no it is for me... I'm trying to see what I can get treated and stay on the boat."

He assured me the only way I would be found unfit for sea duty is if it affected my vision (which it did in the past, but not since the nerve block) or if I really wanted to press the issue to get to shore duty.

To say the least, I'm relieved! Now I have some new meds to help out when the headaches come on and I am not in danger of leaving the ship.

One last note, it wan't just the pin, or the pride... people count on me here and as long as I can do the job I don't want to let them down. Now I know I will be able to do that my entire tour.

Thanks again!

sum25guy
Registered Member

Return to Detailer/Community Management Corner