CYBER WARFARE ENGINEER ESTABLISHED

This forum is for discussions about cyber warfare

Postby supertgrl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 pm

breimer273 wrote:I am currently in ROTC and have been selected for COSR. I commission in May and I have also heard that we have to go through an interview. Although I have not heard any information about this interview. Can someone provide me with some information on when this interview will be/what kind of information will be covered during this interview?

Glad to finally see another ROTC COSR Midshipman. I actually do have a question for Breimer273, did you're month at NCDOC this past summer count as your 1/c cruise?

supertgrl
Registered Member

Postby OneShot » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:46 am

Hey guys!

I'm attempting to join the Navy as an Officer first and foremost. I was applying to the Nuclear Engineering Program as an officer but the Cyberwarfare Engineer rate came up on my radar and I am now pursuing that because I believe that suits me much better. I don't know what Gods plan is for me so I am just patiently following each day while continuing to move forward with my dreams of becoming a Naval Officer.

I just graduated in April 2011 with a B.S. in Computer Science at 20 years old with a ~ 3.3 GPA. My last year of college I was Student Body President and never missing a workout I took 24 credit hours of classroom classes making it on the deans list and it was easy for me -- I'm very motivated. I workout 5-6 days every single week (never missed a workout ~ 2 years). I am full of integrity and honesty and above all loyalty for this country. I was born a driven leader and I intend to lead. Leadership, personal image, confidence, public relation, high academics, extracurricular, physique, motivation -- I have it. I've been trying striving to become the poster child for what the Navy is looking for. That's the quick idea of my current officer's package.

With that quick summarized backstory of mine, can any of you comment on whether this community would suit me well? Am I too young to become a Cyberwarfare naval officer?

Thank you all for your time! I didn't know where else to go to get inside information.

-Zach

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:49 am

OneShot wrote:Hey guys!

I'm attempting to join the Navy as an Officer first and foremost. I was applying to the Nuclear Engineering Program as an officer but the Cyberwarfare Engineer rate came up on my radar and I am now pursuing that because I believe that suits me much better. I don't know what Gods plan is for me so I am just patiently following each day while continuing to move forward with my dreams of becoming a Naval Officer.

-Zach

If you haven't already, recommend you contact your nearest officer recruiter. They should be able to provide eligibility information, and the process for application.

Computer Science is an accepted major; you'll find that the community is really looking for applicants with educational/work experience with hard-core software and computer engineering. If your application passes the initial screening, you can expect a technical interview via phone. If you pass that wicket, you may be invited to Fort Meade for a personal interview.

The Navy brings in Cyber Warfare Engineers via two paths right now: NROTC and Direct Commission (likely the path you would choose). There are very few quotas for Direct Commission each year (<5).

Your officer recruiter should be able to reach back to Navy Recruiting Command for more program information. Hope that helps.

R/,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby donesirdone » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

breimer, another COSR midn here. How was NCDOC? what did they have you doing/learning?
I spent my summer at an Air Force school, would have loved another MID there.

donesirdone
Registered Member

Postby Moonpie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:30 pm

IW OCM wrote:If you haven't already, recommend you contact your nearest officer recruiter. They should be able to provide eligibility information, and the process for application.

Computer Science is an accepted major; you'll find that the community is really looking for applicants with educational/work experience with hard-core software and computer engineering. If your application passes the initial screening, you can expect a technical interview via phone. If you pass that wicket, you may be invited to Fort Meade for a personal interview.

The Navy brings in Cyber Warfare Engineers via two paths right now: NROTC and Direct Commission (likely the path you would choose). There are very few quotas for Direct Commission each year (<5).

Your officer recruiter should be able to reach back to Navy Recruiting Command for more program information. Hope that helps.

R/,

IW OCM

IW OCM,

Could you please clarify a few details regarding the BDCP?

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA%20121%20MAY%202011.PDF

On page two of the above link, section b seems to state that post graduates are eligible for BDCP (given an appropriate degree of course). Can you verify that post graduates are eligible for BDCP?

Thank you!

Moonpie
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Moonpie wrote:IW OCM,

Could you please clarify a few details regarding the BDCP?

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA%20121%20MAY%202011.PDF

On page two of the above link, section b seems to state that post graduates are eligible for BDCP (given an appropriate degree of course). Can you verify that post graduates are eligible for BDCP?

Thank you!

Moonpie,

CNRC (specifically the N3 shop) is a better source of gouge relating to BDCP; it is a new source for CWE. Given current fiscal landscape, not sure about the future viability of BDCP as a commissioning source for CWE. The document you quote does allow for post graduates.

R/,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby Pirate89 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 am

IW OCM wrote:If you haven't already, recommend you contact your nearest officer recruiter. They should be able to provide eligibility information, and the process for application.

R/,

IW OCM

I am CTN seeking a commission in this program, have the quotas been filled for FY12 or FY13 in the CWE direct commissioning program? I have a BS in Computer Science and enrolled at John Hopkins for my Masters in Information Systems Engineer with a concentration in Information Assurance.

Pirate89
Registered Member

Postby Sleeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Pirate89 wrote:I am CTN seeking a commission in this program, have the quotas been filled for FY12 or FY13 in the CWE direct commissioning program? I have a BS in Computer Science and enrolled at John Hopkins for my Masters in Information Systems Engineer with a concentration in Information Assurance.

FY12 is done, but you can certainly start applying for FY13 now. Work through your Career Counselor to submit a package.

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby breimer273 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

supertgrl wrote:Glad to finally see another ROTC COSR Midshipman. I actually do have a question for Breimer273, did you're month at NCDOC this past summer count as your 1/c cruise?

Not sure why I didn't see these posts here earlier. Anyway, although this may not apply to the people who asked these questions any more I will answer them for anyone else looking here for information. Since I last posted about COSR I have been commissioned as an 1840 (CWE). My cruise at NCDOC did count as my 1/c cruise although, from my understanding that was not the original intention for my cruise so they may have a different option for anyone looking to go this route now. As for what I actually did, I can not get into the specifics. I can say that I was working on a project relating to software development. It also was not anything like your typical 1/c cruise. I "worked" 0700-1500 M-F and that was it. It really was like being at an internship. I learned a lot of things about the IW community though.

Quota wise, so far there have only been two (2) 1840s selected from ROTC ever. Everyone else has gone through OCS or ODS. There are currently a total of seven (7) 1840s and I believe they are only planning on selecting a total of five (5) for each fiscal year. That means if you are sincerely interested in this the competition is tough. I hope this will answer some of your questions.

breimer273
Registered Member

Postby bubblehead » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Any chance of 1840 opening up in the Reserve?

How similar are 1840's with 1825's?

bubblehead
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cyber