Ruger Mini-14

Ruger Mini-14

Postby OmegaMan » Wed May 21, 2008 12:06 am

I don't know how many firearm enthusiasts we have here, but I am considering picking up a Ruger Mini-14. I've heard they have questionable accuracy past 100 yards, but the new models are getting much better. Bass Pro here in Maryland is selling them for $660, down from $730 a couple weeks ago. I know most gun fanatics insist on spending the extra money for an AR-15, but I can't convince the Mrs to drop that kind of cash considering we have two little ones in diapers.

Interesting note, the Mini-14 is not classified in the same category as an AR-15 and does not require the waiting period. Didn't figure that would be the case in Maryland.

Anyone care to share their experiences with the Mini-14?

OmegaMan

Postby webmaster » Wed May 21, 2008 12:09 am

Can't speak to that necessarily but the husband is looking to get an M-1 Garand soon. He's also looking into a revolver of some sort. Good drop in price though.

webmaster
Administrator

Mini-14

Postby kip_66 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:52 pm

The Mini-14 is nice but mostly from a historical point of view.
There are alot better weapons out there and may not
cost as much.

Kip
U.S. ARMY (Ret.)

Kip Gerringer
OpsConsulting
Director of Operations
Intelligence Division
kip_66
Registered Member

Free Garands

Postby 99-9X » Mon May 18, 2009 1:39 pm

If you're active duty Navy, and a decent shot, the Navy awards M-1 Garands as trophy rifles at the Fleet Forces Command (Atlantic) Rifle and Pistol Championships. They're held each year at NAS Oceana Annex Dam Neck. The 2009 matches are going on right now (May 15-29th). Great time and lots of shooting if you can get down there. http://www.usnst.org for more info.

99-9X
Registered Member

Mini-14

Postby iscin6 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 pm

The Mini-14 is not an accurate rifle, nor was it designed to be. Honestly, if you want the .223/5.56 rifle look into building your own ar-15, you will be much happier and spend about the same ammount of money. I just built my AR and have about $700 into it. The parts you need (and approx prices) are a lower receiver ($100 essential arms) which is the only part that requires an FFL (dealer). For the rest you can get a kit which is what I did, or get each part seperately. I got my kit through Del-Ton ($450 shipped). Living here in California I had to get a part that keeps the magazine in place and a 10 round mag which cost a little extra. Depending on if you want the iron sights or a "flat-top" and optics you can keep things easily at or below the cost of a mini-14 for far better accuracy and reliability, the only problem is that you wont be able to look like Hanibal or Face-Man on the A-Team when you go to the range.

Just my $.02

iscin6
Registered Member

Postby Mike Szilard » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:15 pm

The other option for M-1's is the CMP. If you're in P-cola, the drive to Alabama might not be too bad and a good way to choose your own gun.

Mike Szilard
Registered Member

Re: Ruger Mini-14

Postby Andeson » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 am

I own a newer model Mini-30 in 7.62×39 and love it. I like the light weight of the composite stock and the durability of the stainless finish. I have hunted both hogs and deer with it and have been successful in both cases (dropped them in their tracks at 50 yds). I opted for a holographic sight maounted on a picatinny rail as apposed to a scope it does limit the range as to yardage because basically its the same as a steel sight I just like the low light capability and the sight picture of a pinpoint red dot that I get. Overall I agree with your information. The Ranch Rifle is a good durable gun.

Andeson
Registered Member

Return to Firearms