BOOST dropped

BOOST dropped

Postby smash14ry » Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 am

This year's BOOST class will be the last for the Navy.

For those unfamiliar with the program, BOOST consists of a number of classes in physics, english, and precalculus and lasts 3 months. Certain Sailors selected for STA-21 (especially those with low grades in high school/college) are chosen to attend BOOST in order to gain a background in these subjects in preparation for courses in physics and calculus in college.

Word to the wise - what this means for you as an applicant:

Unless the Navy also drops the calc/physics requirement in ROTC, it would be a good idea to knock out some college courses in math in order to show the board that you're capable of passing calc and physics. If you had awful grades in calculus or physics during previous academic experience, the Navy no longer has a way to teach you the prereq's for college calc.

Pure speculation on my part...

Next year's lessons learned will show that selectees typically had more experience in college level math than non-selectees.

Cheers and good luck.

smash14ry
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Thu May 07, 2009 3:01 am

Good info...
Is this something new? Do you have a source?

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby smash14ry » Thu May 07, 2009 4:56 am

HH-60H wrote:Good info...
Is this something new? Do you have a source?

We were told by our chain of command when we got here in February that the Navy was cutting the program, the profs have their walking papers, and that the Marine Corps was deciding whether or not to keep BOOST in another location.

Our professors confirmed that BOOST is done after this push... I wish I had a document or NAVADMIN to point to, but I can't cite anything official other than that.

smash14ry
Registered Member

Return to STA-21