Working toward FY10 STA-21

Working toward FY10 STA-21

Postby Future Officer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey Everyone! :D

I am new to this, but i have been reading over many of the messages on the site and thought this would be a good place to get info. I am starting my STA-21 for FY10. I have been working on a few of the simple things before the Application opens later this month. I know this forum focuses on IW, but i thought i could still get some solid advice about the Intel option. I have all the lessoned learned from the last two years. I am concerned about what to say in my personal statement and who i "should" be getting letter of recommendation from. Can you wise men and women of the IW world offer me any advice? Thank you

Future Officer
Registered Member

Postby jaydubnavy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I was selected for the FY09 STA-21 program under the IW option, and it was my third attempt at applying over a six year period. My first two applications were riddled with letters of recommendation. I had some from Ensigns and Lieutenants, some from Commanders, and even one from an Army E-5 who fought in Vietnam and now makes military movies for PBS.

This year, I decided to whittle it down to only two letters of recommendation. One is from a former CO, who was the second female to command a DDG, and is now at the Naval Academy. She wrote my letter as a Commander, and is now a Captain. The other letter is from a retired 3-star, who used to be the Chief of Naval Personnel. This was the year I finally got selected.

I recommend limiting your letters of recommendation to those in command, or who have been in command. Other than that, maybe find an O-5 or above within the community your applying for (I believe you said Intel). Anything more would probably just be clutter.

jaydubnavy
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/index.php

Go there, read lots, search the forums, and ask questions about anything you can't find. Even though it's primarily for OCS candidates much of the gouge on the site is applicable. My name on there is CTI1Hawaii ... let me know if you have issues or concerns and I'll do what I can to help.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Letters

Postby jitter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 am

I have worked with many fine Sailors to apply for all of the Navy commissioning programs. Many of them were selected without a single letter [color="Red"](not required for any program![/color]) but they all had to work hard to obtain their goal. My number one advice would be that your focus should not be on the letters so much as on yourself. You need to sell yourself! Take the hard job and do them well and you will succeed. Even a letter from the CNO will not make a turd shine.

If you need someone to read your statement I will be happy to help.

jitter
Experienced Member

Good for you for applying; stay motivated!

Postby smash14ry » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 am

I got picked up this year also, so I'll try to add a couple points:

IRT Intel Option:

I'm not sure what traits, quals, etc. the Intel community is looking for in Sailors that apply for STA-21. If I were in your shoes as an MC (rather than an IS), I would address the reasons why you're applying for Intel and make sure you display some knowledge of the community in your personal statement.

At any rate, make sure you apply for CORE, you can always lat-transfer.

IRT Personal Statement:

This is just my humble opinion, but I think a good statement should answer these questions:

1. Why do you want to be an officer?
2. What personal qualities do you have that would make you a good officer?
3. What have you accomplished during your enlisted career that qualifies you for this program?
4. What are your goals once you're commissioned?

I would answer the first two questions directly, probably in the first paragraph of the statement. For #3, I'd make sure to relate any of the career accomplishments I listed to questions 1 and 2. Think "I've been focused on commissioning for my entire career; the fact that I've worked my ass off doing/leading X,Y, and Z proves as much." Your answer to #4 should show that you're looking ahead, not behind.

IRT Letters of Recommendation:

This was my first cycle applying, and I was selected without any letters of recommendation (other than from my CO), so I can't give any gouge based on my experience.

However, if I were one of the board members, I would care a whole lot more about what someone said about an applicant in their recommendation than the rank and title of the author. The letters I'd value most would be from people for whom an applicant previously worked, and the statements that would stand out to me would go something like "In spite of MC2's junior rank, he really stood out as a leader in my division/department/command because of X, Y, and Z."

IMO, the purpose of the letters of recommendation are to provide a fuller picture of YOU as a person and Sailor and your potential as an officer. I think that having recommendations from people who can personally verify your outstanding performance, bearing, and character adds a very human dimension to the sheaf of paper upon which your application rests. Further, I would absolutely include letters from CPOs.

Also, the board regards your CO's recommendation as the most important part of the package - write it yourself. Let your command shitcan it if the CO would rather write something different, but at least give that option.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to pm or email me.

Also, airwarriors.com (specifically this thread http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144972) is your friend.

smash14ry
Registered Member

Postby Future Officer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Sorry i haven't replied back sooner, i have been TAD. I really appreciate all the information each of you have taken your time to give me.

After reading everything, I'm not going to focus on my personal statement much more. I will check back in if i have any questions. Thanks!

Future Officer
Registered Member

Boards

Postby SK2MorganAR » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Can anyone give me advice/information on how to prepare and what to expect from the boards? I have my first (internal) one coming up May 6th.:confused:

SK2MorganAR
Registered Member

Postby smash14ry » Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 pm

NAVCRUIT 1100/3 - find it in OPNAV 1420.1a, Chapter 8.

Pretend you were a board member and ask yourself questions that would elicit some insight in regard to the categories listed in 1100/3. Come up with pithy, focused answers to each question. Every board is different, but all applicants are judged based on the criteria in that form.

I would strive to have "poised" at the top of the list of adjectives at the beginning of the page.

What I think really worked for me was the 83 slide PowerPoint presentation I prepared. I made a venn diagram with circles for leadership, management, command, and accountability; then overlaid responsibilities of an officer vice those of enlisted personnel.

smash14ry
Registered Member

Postby smash14ry » Wed May 06, 2009 11:14 pm

NAVCRUIT 1100/3 - find it in OPNAV 1420.1a, Chapter 8.

Pretend you were a board member and ask yourself questions that would elicit some insight in regard to the categories listed in 1100/3. Come up with pithy, focused answers to each question. Every board is different, but all applicants are judged based on the criteria in that form.

I would strive to have "poised" at the top of the list of adjectives at the beginning of the page.

What I think really worked for me was the 83 slide PowerPoint presentation I prepared. I made a venn diagram with circles for leadership, management, command, and accountability; then overlaid responsibilities of an officer vice those of enlisted personnel.

smash14ry
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Thu May 07, 2009 2:46 am

smash14ry wrote:What I think really worked for me was the 83 slide PowerPoint presentation I prepared. I made a venn diagram with circles for leadership, management, command, and accountability; then overlaid responsibilities of an officer vice those of enlisted personnel.

I really hope that you are joking.

HH-60H
Administrator

Next

Return to STA-21