Transition from AF

Transition from AF

Postby tonio » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:36 am

Good evening to you all,

I just have a general question as to whether IW would be a better fit for me rather than Intel. I was preparing a package for OCS but felt that my application would not be sufficient to be selected. With a 46 OAR, and a non-technical degree I couldn't see it happening, so as a reservist in the Air Force I've crossed trained to Geospatial Intel as an Imagery Analyst with plans to submit a package in 2014 when my enlistment is up. Would the experience gained translate to Information Warfare (where I imagine SIGINT would be a better fit) or would I be better off going for Intel within the Navy? Thank you in advance and I am open to any feedback that may be provided.

tonio
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:49 am

Why not try for both? The OCS application used to allow the applicant to select three communities on the same application. I'm not positive, but listing both would seem to me to give you a better chance for selection than listing just one. Your background may perhaps be more suited to the intel side of things, but not every single person in IW is a technical guru. Good luck!

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm with Yoshi. I would put both of them on the application and see what happens.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Transition from AF

Postby IW OCM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 pm

webmaster wrote:I'm with Yoshi. I would put both of them on the application and see what happens.

This is as good a time as any to talk a little bit about the OCS process.

The number of candidates that are selected for OCS each fiscal year is driven by the Accession Plan, an internal document (i.e. not hanging off of a website) that governs how many officers are brought in each year. Each community is allotted a certain number of quotas by OPNAV N1, and Commander, Navy Recruiting Command (CNRC) typically sets a recruiting goal that is some percentage above the quotas in order to allow for attrition (~10%). The IDC communities each have their own quotas. That being the case, sometimes one community will use up their quotas before another. Thus, you may be uniquely qualified for a particular community, but are constrained by the fact that the community's quotas for that fiscal year are used up.

In the case of the IDC, a Professional Recommendation (PR) panel is held semi-annually (typically fall and spring) for OCS. Not all IDC communities participate in every OCS PR panel (see quota discussion above). While "board-like" in its look and feel, it is not a formal selection board. Members of the IDC are gathered to review applicant records and compare them against the Program Authorization, which outlines the minimum requirements for entry into a particular community. Based on the number of quotas, the PR panel recommends back to CNRC who they believe should be Final Selected (FINSEL) for OCS. CNRC action officers work with recruiters to ensure that the recommended applicants meet the other general requirements for commissioning, and then typically notify the applicants of their FINSEL status. Then the FINSEL applicants are "shipped" to OCS at the appointed time.

While the Program Authorization details the minimum requirements for entry, it is no surprise that those who just meet the minimums are usually not competitive for PR. CNRC maintains - and provides to field recruiters - a competitive profile which outlines the qualifications of a typical selectee for a specific community. The officer recruiter should be able to compare an applicants' record to the community's competitive profile and advise the prospective if their application meets or exceeds the profile.

There are normally hundreds of applicants for tens of quotas - the competition is keen.

Listing more than one community on an application has the POTENTIAL to increase the chance for selection, but only if the applicant is truly competitive and each community listed has quotas.

Hope that helps.

V/r,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby tonio » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I appreciate all of the replies, and I think it has given me a good amount of direction moving forward. There is no telling what conditions may be like in two years but I figured I would apply for IW, SWO/IW and Intel respectively.

tonio
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 pm

IW OCM wrote:CNRC maintains - and provides to field recruiters - a competitive profile which outlines the qualifications of a typical selectee for a specific community. The officer recruiter should be able to compare an applicants' record to the community's competitive profile and advise the prospective if their application meets or exceeds the profile.

Do you know off the top of your head if CNRC provides the same or similar for Officer Program Coordinators at individual commands? Also, can OPCs get access to the same databases/programs as officers/chiefs recruiting civilians?

I probably should direct these questions straight to CNRC, but I suspect they might have a different take on it because of their focus.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to OCS