IW Officer information

IW Officer information

Postby davelowp » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Hey guys I have a bachelors in information systems security from AMU and I am really interested in becoming an information warfare officer. I currently have a GPA of 3.1 and will take the ASTB on 26 Sept. I have a few questions:
How competitive is the IW field ?
What is a competitive score for the ASTB?
Do the boards still convene every month?
Having a degree in IT will help me to be a bit more competitive?

I am currently active duty with 7 months left, and I would like to make a pretty competitive pkg not only to get selected but also to stay in the Navy due to PTS and I pretty much get one chance to submit the pkg.

Thank you

David

davelowp
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 am

davelowp wrote:Hey guys I have a bachelors in information systems security from AMU and I am really interested in becoming an information warfare officer. I currently have a GPA of 3.1 and will take the ASTB on 26 Sept. I have a few questions:
How competitive is the IW field ?
What is a competitive score for the ASTB?
Do the boards still convene every month?
Having a degree in IT will help me to be a bit more competitive?

I am currently active duty with 7 months left, and I would like to make a pretty competitive pkg not only to get selected but also to stay in the Navy due to PTS and I pretty much get one chance to submit the pkg.

Thank you

David

David,

Can you provide a few more details, either posted or via PM? What is you current rate/rating? How long have you been in and what sort of tours have you completed? What other fields are you interested in, if any? Etc.

b/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby davelowp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 am

I am an AD3, been enlisted for 6 years, this is my second tour currently on shore duty. If any other choices it would be Intel, but I really want to push for the IW option. If I make 2nd this cycle it will be an automatic PTS appoval which can buy me more tries to resubmit if not selected.

Thanks

David

davelowp
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 am

I recommend contacting the new accessions detailer. He should know the quotas and chances you may have based on your info:

LT J. Disch
LDO/CWO Detailer
New Accession Detailer
IWNEWACCESSIONS@navy.mil
901-874-4113

There's also a new accessions document available for download here on the IW Detailer page:
http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/OFFICER/DETAILING/IDC_FAO/IW/Pages/default.aspx

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 am

I recommend contacting the new accessions detailer, who should know the quotas and chances you may have based on your info:

LT J. Disch
LDO/CWO Detailer
New Accession Detailer
IWNEWACCESSIONS@navy.mil
901-874-4113

There's also a new accessions document available for download here on the IW Detailer page:
http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/OFFICER/DETAILING/IDC_FAO/IW/Pages/default.aspx

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

arvizo wrote:I recommend contacting the new accessions detailer, who should know the quotas and chances you may have based on your info:

LT J. Disch
LDO/CWO Detailer
New Accession Detailer
IWNEWACCESSIONS@navy.mil
901-874-4113

Concur with Arvizo. LT Disch will be your best source for accurate answers regarding boards, selection rates, test scores, etc.

If you have general questions about IW Officer careers let me know.

Good luck!

b/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby davelowp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:49 am

Thanks guys for the quick response!! :)

Well it would be great to know a bit more about the community, how are the duty stations ?

davelowp
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 pm

davelowp wrote:Thanks guys for the quick response!! :)

Well it would be great to know a bit more about the community, how are the duty stations ?

Duty stations for an IW Officer are extremely diverse. Major U.S. duty stations are located in Maryland, Georgia, Texas, and Hawaii. Overseas duty stations include locations in Japan and the U.K. You can also go to any fleet concentration area, joint or fleet headquarters, stateside and overseas. In other words, the list is nearly endless.

Expect to start your career at one of the "magnet" sites in Maryland, Georgia, Texas, or Hawaii. After that, you really can go almost anywhere.

The same can be said for types of duty. There are many flavors of shore duty, to include joint jobs, instructor duty, staff, etc. IW Officers also have opportunities to fly, serve at sea in ships and submarines, and support Naval Special Warfare.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby davelowp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Amazing! I was really looking forward to applying and getting selected! but after that brief description now I am even more in love with the Job!!

Thank you!

Dave

davelowp
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

Additionally, there are quite a few IWOs in Bahrain, San Diego, Norfolk, Pensacola, Colorado, Japan, and DC. Then there are locations where only one billet may exist such as Key West.

At some point, most IW JOs have the opportunity to attend the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. It's a great opportunity and benefits your career if the timing is right.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Return to OCS