OCS Resources

Postby Sum1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 am

Because OCS has moved from P-cola to Newport many of the details of that site are off now. Chow hall procedures are "modified" for the Newport chow hall because it's shared by a number of different schools/people, so for example, you're no longer allowed to be ballistic once you step inside the chow hall.

There are still good parts to it... such as details about the level of preparation necessary for RLP, etc, etc.

I think the only people who would really be upset that it "gave away" too much would be individuals who didn't have the chance to read something like that prior to going themselves. Does that mean it was wrong to post it? I don't think so. I think if it helps a candidate prepare themselves mentally for what they're going to experience, it's all the better. Plus, let's face it, the level of stress is so high there anyway that I don't think a few details about an evolution (that you will undoubtedly forget once it gets going) is that big of a deal.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby OmegaMan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Sum1 wrote:Chow hall procedures are "modified" for the Newport chow hall because it's shared by a number of different schools/people, so for example, you're no longer allowed to be ballistic once you step inside the chow hall.

Say it ain't so!!! Chow hall was the best part of the day, our class looked forward to it.

OmegaMan

Postby webmaster » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Our class not so much. We usually ended up in the grass before and after chow

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby OmegaMan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Same here. You know the old adage that there are smart classes and strong classes, we were a strong class. But you must admit that the Drill Instructors were pretty funny, or maybe I just have a strange sense of humor...

OmegaMan

Postby webmaster » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm

My drill instructor was Gunny Jones and he was hysterical

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:45 pm

We got dropped before every meal for the first 3-4 weeks, but it tapered off after a while. Also, after meals you got an unofficial 30 minute grace period where the DIs would actually let you digest some of the food before they started beating on you again.

Chow hall procedures still exist, but like I said, I was told they were modified slightly from P-cola. For example, the "chow hall deck" is always clear... you never once said it wasn't. The one or two times we ended up waiting outside was because there just wasn't a place to sit yet (due to the fact that you're sharing the chow hall with STA-21/NSI, ODS, OIS, NAPS, regular Navy personnel, DoN civilians, etc, etc, etc).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby gtwhitegold » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm

I just hope that I am not the knucklehead who gets fed up and tells the DI that he is the same paygrade as I am, he can get off of his high horse and work for a change.

My luck I will get a Staff Sergeant as my DI so the opportunity will arise.

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:33 pm

I particularly enjoyed the day the chow hall workers yelled at our DI for bringing us into the chow hall covered in mud (and getting it all over the tables and chairs) after a particularly viscious SUYA workout.

Chow Hall really was one of the more memorable parts of OCS for me.

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 pm

gtwhitegold wrote:I just hope that I am not the knucklehead who gets fed up and tells the DI that he is the same paygrade as I am, he can get off of his high horse and work for a change.

My luck I will get a Staff Sergeant as my DI so the opportunity will arise.

Do that, and enjoy the result. I got to watch a former Army soldier comment how Army DIs were much tougher than Marine DIs. Unfortunately for him our DI overheard him and it spread like wildfire. He quit within a week.

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 pm

I also hope that you are not the type of knucklehead that in any way believes paygrade equates to anything of importance or value to the military. This simply isn't the case. It is a common misconception that pay is commensurate with ability or function. Perhaps that was true previously, but in today's numbers-driven reality, the only way to measure worth and quality is by serving with someone. There is a distinct diffrerence between rank and paygrade. They are not the same thing. Rank is usually earned, whil paygrade is simply a function of accounting. I'm sure you will be able to resist referring to your paygrade when you realize that you aren't remotely close to your DI where rank is concerned. Rank and pay are for feeling good about yourself. Your reputation and repoire with those around you (particularly amongst those who work for you) is what people think of you. Guess which one determines your level of success as an officer? Plenty of people get promoted and get paid and remain unsuccessful, ineffectual officers. The officers that "get it" are the ones who aren't satisfied with promoting and getting paid, and truly have a desire to be an effective part of a successful effort which larger than themselves.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to OCS