OCS Resources

OCS Resources

Postby Twidget » Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 am

Besides the obvious CCC and 1420.x instruction, there are many other sources of good info out there to help your hard-charging Sailors get selected.

[color="Blue"]!!Shameless Plug Alert!![/color]
One that I used a great deal prior to OCS, and served as the webmaster for is usnavyocs.com. There's some great info on putting a package together, studying for the ASTB, and anything else you can think of.

Twidget

Postby jordan » Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 pm

That is a good website. I wish it existed when I went through.

jordan
Registered Member

Postby OmegaMan » Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Good gouge, welcome aboard.

OmegaMan

Postby Twidget » Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 am

Thanks, I've already started to spread the word about this site, though I'm still unsure how I feel about it from a security standpoint. I suppose there's no risk if everyone is careful about what they share, and assume that everything is monitored.

But hey...if it's cool with the OCM, that's good enough for me!

Top-cover, a wonderful thing.

That OCS site is pretty good for applicants. I wish I would have found it while going through the process, rather than after selection. It was still a good place for gouge and to start getting to know classmates.

Twidget

Postby webmaster » Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Twidget wrote:Thanks, I've already started to spread the word about this site, though I'm still unsure how I feel about it from a security standpoint. I suppose there's no risk if everyone is careful about what they share, and assume that everything is monitored.

But hey...if it's cool with the OCM, that's good enough for me!

Top-cover, a wonderful thing.

This website is solely owned and operated by me so I remain the top cover. I also have a JAG looking at it periodically to ensure we keep ourselves out of trouble. The key word is and will always be OPSEC. As another layer of protection, the moderators will "soft delete" anything questionable. Should it be determined to be inappropriate or a security issue it will be permanently removed from the server. Should it be a security issue I will report it. Once I unscrew the code there will be a private IW forum. This forum will not be accessable to those who do not have permission to view it. The admins and super mods are the only ones who can change user group priviledges so we will be verifying those users are IWs. It still remains an unclassified forum so we do need to exercise discretion when posting.

webmaster
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:58 am

I found the above website a couple of months before I submitted my package and am still a (hopefully valuable) member of the community today. There's a great variety of folks who've been there, done that, with new individuals with absolutely no knowledge of the Navy or the OCS process. It armed me with a ton of info to bring to the Officer Program Coordinator at my last command... who unfortunately was fairly clueless.

Highly recommend Twidget's site.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby jordan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:38 am

Here's a link to thread on a sister site. One of the posters is complying many different resources into one place. One note of caution though...live by the gouge die by the gouge. That said you should carefully look at where each originated.

jordan
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 am

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Twidget » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:16 am

Here's a series of articles by a photojournalist team in Rhode Island. It appears they were given significant access to document OCS, including photos and audio recordings of RLP among other events. Very interesting if you've got time to check it out.

http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby OmegaMan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Several years back, a newly minted Ensign created a gouge site that went into excrutiating detail about OCS, down to chow hall procedures. Some folks on the Airwarriors site were upset that it gave away too much... I don't know. I read it before OCS and was still completely hosed up for the first couple of weeks. The chow hall procedures were utter nonsense until I performed them "live and uncut", resulting in many trips to the rose garden. From time to time, when I want a good chuckle, I go back and read the site. It brings back some fun memories.

Well here it is:
http://heathalvarez.com/hobbies/ocs.html

Hope not to offend any OCS purists out there. Most of it is probably outdated anyway. A picture of my drill instructor is on there, about a third of the way down on the left, screaming at the poopies on wake up wednesday. It must have been taken after I graduated, as they never wore the MARPAT uniform while I was there.

"Chow hall deck all clear, section leader":D

OmegaMan

Next

Return to OCS