Physics Requirement?

Never Heard Of This

Postby eswsswo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:35 pm

I've never heard of this "program authorization" form. I've worked on helping people submit OCS packages over the past few years and have had successful packages without having this particular educational check in the box. I've also seen several newly commissioned Ensigns come in to the command and none of them have completed a URL experience tour as discussed in the form. These Ensigns have been prior enlisted as well as "off the street". Either way, if this is a requirement then it needs to be written into the OPNAV instruction so everyone knows that it exists.:confused:

More "requirements" listed at http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Intelligence_Information/InfoWar/LDO+CWO+and+New+Accessions+Corner.htm

eswsswo
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 pm

eswsswo wrote:I've never heard of this "program authorization" form. I've worked on helping people submit OCS packages over the past few years and have had successful packages without having this particular educational check in the box. I've also seen several newly commissioned Ensigns come in to the command and none of them have completed a URL experience tour as discussed in the form. These Ensigns have been prior enlisted as well as "off the street". Either way, if this is a requirement then it needs to be written into the OPNAV instruction so everyone knows that it exists.:confused:

More "requirements" listed at http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Intelligence_Information/InfoWar/LDO+CWO+and+New+Accessions+Corner.htm

It is important to acknowledge that this PA highlights the SWO (IW Option) and not the direct accession to IW. The difference is that these option officers are SWOs for their first tour and then become a 1640. Think of it as a guaranteed lateral transfer from SWO at the LTjg level. Their time as a SWO DO is the URL experience referred to in the PA. The education requirement is merely a bachelors with a 2.2 and some calculus and physics...no specific major is required. FY09 is the first time we have such a program. The quota is 5 via OCS, but we are pushing to open things up to NROTC and USNA as well.

The purpose of a PA is to educate recruiters and nothing more. Great discussion...please ask more questions and offer additional recommendations...it's the only way we get better.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:28 pm

I was selected a little over a year ago with no calculus and 1 semester of calc-based physics from my first stint in college (prior to enlisting) in 2000-ish. Now, my time as a CT may have "made up" for not having the calc or physics, but I've seen others selected since then who also didn't have the "required" courses.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby concept03 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 pm

NOTE: I am pro-recd for IW and I am currently a civilian. I am not an authority on this. But I did go back to school to finish Calc 2, Physics 1 and Physics 2; even though I completed my university degree a couple of years ago. It took me a year and it sucked considering I also work 40 hours a week. But I wanted a chance to become an IW officer, so I did it.

Maybe its old, but the IW program sheet I received from my recruiter (attached) lists Calc 1, Calc 2, Physics 1, and Physics 2 under the "Required" section.

I'm sure you can get selected without it. If you don't have it, go ahead and apply, you may get in based on the "whole person" concept. Assuming you make up for it in other areas.

But honestly, these are classes that freshman and sophomores take in college. They are the foundation for a great deal of learning. If you have the means, I'd suggest taking them. It can only help you.

According to my recruiter, right now the Navy has more officer applicants than officer positions. Our poor economy probably has something to do with it. I'd imagine that if someone is applying for Nuke, that they likely also have IW either as their #2 or #3. You can guarantee that Nuke applicants have take these classes.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

concept03
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 am

concept03 wrote:NOTE: I am pro-recd for IW and I am currently a civilian. I am not an authority on this. But I did go back to school to finish Calc 2, Physics 1 and Physics 2; even though I completed my university degree a couple of years ago. It took me a year and it sucked considering I also work 40 hours a week. But I wanted a chance to become an IW officer, so I did it.

Maybe its old, but the IW program sheet I received from my recruiter (attached) lists Calc 1, Calc 2, Physics 1, and Physics 2 under the "Required" section.

I'm sure you can get selected without it. If you don't have it, go ahead and apply, you may get in based on the "whole person" concept. Assuming you make up for it in other areas.

But honestly, these are classes that freshman and sophomores take in college. They are the foundation for a great deal of learning. If you have the means, I'd suggest taking them. It can only help you.

According to my recruiter, right now the Navy has more officer applicants than officer positions. Our poor economy probably has something to do with it. I'd imagine that if someone is applying for Nuke, that they likely also have IW either as their #2 or #3. You can guarantee that Nuke applicants have take these classes.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

All of this dialogue has given us reason to move rewriting the PA to the top of our "To Do" List. It will relax the calc/physics requirement (e.g. they will not be a requirement) so as to allow the selection board more liberty to evaluate the "whole person." Rewrote it today and will submit it up the chain on Monday (we are rewriting EDO, METOC and IP at the same time). Thanks for the dialogue..."Community Management is a team sport!"

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Outstanding

Postby eswsswo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Great to see effective dialouge that produces positive results and clear communications for the community!

eswsswo
Registered Member

Postby 1610MATROS » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Great work by all hands.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Searching for the PA

Postby Franchise1278 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm new to this site and have what I hope is a simple question. I've done a search for the IW PA and have not been able to find anything. It could be that is it still in the works. If that is the case, where would I be able to find it once it has become official? My main concern with this is the physics requirement. I am minoring in Mathematics so Calc I & II will not be an issue.

Franchise1278
Registered Member

IW PA

Postby Lucy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 am

Thread is a few years back, but in case someone else comes looking

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA%20101H%20IW.PDF

No Calc/Physics required

Lucy
Registered Member

IW PA

Postby IW OCM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 pm

FYSA, the IDC PAs are currently under review. No estimate on completion just yet, but it is one of the projects we're working.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to OCS