Resume?

Resume?

Postby mav2005 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm thinking about applying for a commission and I'd like to know if there is a place in the application for my resume? I do not have a technical degree (management degree), but I do have five years of systems administration experience.

Is there a place in the application that I could showcase my IT experience?

mav2005
Registered Member

Postby Pwlk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:52 pm

mav2005 wrote:I'm thinking about applying for a commission and I'd like to know if there is a place in the application for my resume? I do not have a technical degree (management degree), but I do have five years of systems administration experience.

Is there a place in the application that I could showcase my IT experience?

You could get letters of recommendation from your employer at the time. Or possibly you could write about those experiences in part of your motivational statement.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:15 pm

A good part of the application is a lot like a resume. There are places for your work history, what skills you have, licenses and certs and such, and education.

If there's anything else that's important, you can probably work it into your motivational statement. There also might be a space for remarks, as well.

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby bene1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Agree with the last two posts... there are plenty of opps within the app packet to fully share your experience and knowledge.

Also, IMHO, keep in mind that a lot of people applying have the same type of degree/experience, since its a specific field. Sometimes the more important information (not that a specific degree isn't beneficial) is what else you have to offer. They definately look at the whole person approach- so make sure to highlight all of the other attributes and experiences you have that aren't necessary directly linked to a technical degree, but would speak to your already established quality and your future potential to be a great officer. Leadership, volunteer exp, athletics, GPA, etc.

Though I have no knowledge of how exactly the board chooses, I'd say soemtimes these aspects can carry more weight than just a specific degree. From my own experience, I applied and only have a BA in Literature and History, and I was choosen.

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

bene1
Registered Member

Return to OCS