Class standing at OCS?

Postby Sum1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 am

At OCS you're going to be in a class with 40+ highly a-type personalities. Everyone wants to be a leader, and some people take it to an extreme and think because they have bars on their collar they're somehow qualified to lead Sailors. It doesn't work that way. When he gets to the real fleet he'll figure it out himself, or a Chief will politely explain it to him behind closed doors.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby gtwhitegold » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 am

Sum1 wrote:At OCS you're going to be in a class with 40+ highly a-type personalities. Everyone wants to be a leader, and some people take it to an extreme and think because they have bars on their collar they're somehow qualified to lead Sailors. It doesn't work that way. When he gets to the real fleet he'll figure it out himself, or a Chief will politely explain it to him behind closed doors.

Amen. One Divo I had when I was in 1st div was totally that way. One good thing about going into OCS from being enlisted is that I know that I do not need to have a chip on my shoulder to excel. I have people that I can rely on for information and support.

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Postby Henderson540 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 am

I was in the DEP program when I began my second attempt at OCS. My Enlisted and Officer recruiters are both Chiefs and were wonderful mentors and communicators. Both also stressed to me that the fundamental pillar in good leadership is putting your sailors before yourself (that and leading by example!). I will do my best to take their perspective with me to the fleet :).

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 am

I think the greater accomplishment coming out of OCS is to graduate close to the numbers you start with. I'm not saying everyone should make it through but my class made it a goal to help each other to the point where we were +/- 5. With rolls into the class we graduated more than we started with.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Henderson540 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:09 am

Webmaster, when did you go through OCS? Was rolling set up the same way it is now? The setup now seems like it's easy to roll but much harder to fail out.

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby VQ Bubba » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:47 am

Henderson540 wrote:The new Ensign

The above is your primary problem...try not to listen to O-1's, especially if they are still stuck in the OCS holding pattern:rolleyes:.

I'll be honest...the last thing on my mind if you checked into my command would be to ask you what sort of rocking collateral duties you had at OCS.

Just make it through, earn the butter bars, and enjoy the Navy.

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

Henderson540 wrote:Webmaster, when did you go through OCS? Was rolling set up the same way it is now? The setup now seems like it's easy to roll but much harder to fail out.

I went through in 1999. Then it was easy to roll and fail out.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby LIVINGIW » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

I am not an OCS guy, but I imagine there is much similarity. A good midshipman does not always equal a good Officer. Senator McCain is arguably a good leader and was a good Officer, though he was barely in the top 99% of his class. In my understanding, ADM Mullen was a solid middle of the pack guy at USNA and was actually passed over for promotion to LCDR... he turned out OK... I know many lower level examples as well. A different skill set is required to succeed in training commands and the fleet.

I think, and this is my opinion, that you learn from all those around you at OCS, USNA, ROTC... good and bad. Take the good and emulate, take the bad and internalize and strive to eliminate. Hit OCS running, work hard, learn to follow, seize opportunities to lead, and focus on the relationships and encouragement of those around you. Those gunning for leadership and "stripes" will be evident and usually fall flat.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby Henderson540 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Webmaster, I think I just put two and two together and realized who you are. I meant to pm you my original question, glad I didn't double dip!

LivingIW, all well said and good stuff to think about.

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby E1-O4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

First, Welcome!

As far as where you stand in rankings, whether it's in an OCS class or any number of situations you find yourself in, it's about your attitude toward the objective. Years from now, no one but you will care if you were the honor grad from some class, or the #1 in your OCS class, or did your IDC qual faster than everyone else. Each step in life has it's milestone and a time to reflect on that accomplishment. Be proud that you were #1 yesterday, but never use what you did then to sell someone on what you can do tomorrow.

There were 4 or 5 IWOs in my OCS class. Two were deep-selected last year the remainder of us were picked up this year in-zone. Neither of those were deep-selected were promoted based on there standing in OCS 8 years ago. It was about the kick-ass job they have done in those last 8 years. They know who they are and know that I am proud of them!

I suppose the other commenter is correct, of my OCS class I had the first lineal number (probably cause I had more prior time the others, we were all prior enlisted ? it certainly wasn?t based on my being a better Officer Candidate), so had we graduated in June, for example, and there was a cut-off at some point, then I might have been in-zone a year before the others. Though someone can correct me if I am wrong, for a handful of folks with the same commissioning date (like an OCS Class) I would think that if I were in-zone, so would the other folks with the same date. Sort of like, ?This guy and all with the same commissioning date are the last in-zone.

However and here's some real wisdom.... If the difference between you and the next guy/gal for either being promoted to LCDR or not is based on your standing in your OCS class - you probably haven't impressed the board all that much.

As cache as it sounds - Be the best you can be! Don't worry about what the other guy/gal is doing.

YiNS

E1-O4
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to OCS