Class standing at OCS?

Class standing at OCS?

Postby Henderson540 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I've been getting mixed messages from recent grads at OCS (I go in a few weeks). I was told as an IW, not to worry about class rank or jobs, and to focus on what I could handle, because the competition amongst jobs was mostly a SWO requirement. The Ensign who swore me in however said landing an important position would look good to whoever's command I applied to (if thats even how it works). I'm just mildy confused. I'm not trying to avoid any responsibilities, but it would help to know if thats an area I should or should not be concentrating on.

Academics are my strong suit, and I enjoy putting my nose to the grindstone, so I am of a mindset to get good scores regardless. I just want to know if I would be overloading my plate and if thats considered a good or bad thing? (Just trying to follow orders...)

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm

The Ensign who swore you in doesn't know what he's talking about.

Except for SWOs, who choose their orders in the order of class rank, the only thing that follows you after OCS is your commission at the end.

Sum1
Experienced Member

USNA a little different

Postby LIVINGIW » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Naval Academy differs slightly however, though it is not of concern until you are up for LCDR. It is not uncommon to see a commissioning class from USNA split up as zones are determined. Case and point, last year IW O4 zone split the Jun 2001 commissioning YG. In that case, class rank determined lineal number wich determined which side of the line folks fell... it pays to be a winner, I guess.
Would this be the same case for OCS should there be multiple folks from the same class?

On an unrelated note, I am an IW Officer up here in Newport RI through Jun. Feel free to PM me with any questions... best of luck in OCS.

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:On an unrelated note, I am an IW Officer up here in Newport RI through Jun. Feel free to PM me with any questions... best of luck in OCS.

Are you up there attending the Naval War College?

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm

It is uncommon that there are multiple IW officers in one OCS class, much less they'd get unlucky enough to have their year group split.

With only 18 OCS accessions a year you could see how this is unlikely.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Henderson540 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Sum1, there are actually two of us in this class. There are only 30+ on the facebook group and class size is up to 100 now, so for all I know there could be another.

The Ensign who swore me in made such a big deal out of the jobs and made it seem that if I wasn't gunning for Regimental Commander or Class President that my heart wasn't in the right place. I want to pull my own weight and benefit my class (there are many jobs that will need filled). However setting my sights on being top dog, unless I was best suited for the job, seemed like insanity with everything else we'd be doing.

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Starting with two IW officers doesn't mean you're going to graduate with two.

It sounds like you were talking to a recent OCS grad who was still all gung ho about it. You need to be in the right place mentally to put up with teh crap day in and day out, but ultimately what you do there isn't going to follow you into the fleet.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Twidget » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Though there are a relatively small number of accessions per, but from what I've seen IW's tend to be bunched in classes. We had 9 in my OCS class.

I can't remember if there was any consideration of class ranking when choosing orders. We all only had a choice between MD and GA, so it didn't much matter. In other classes of a large size, if there are one or two sets of more desirable orders it might make a difference.

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby enavypa » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Do your best and focus on completing the program. You will have many Fitness reports to prove that you are a competent, skilled leader before you are ever up for any board.

enavypa
Registered Member

Postby Henderson540 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 am

The new Ensign seemed more hell bent on competing with his classmates and bragging about it to me than anything. Not trying to drag him through the mud, but the experience left me feeling a bit apprehensive.

With that said, I'm so excited to join this community & to get a shot at working with some of you someday. Thanks for the guidance and all the timely responses!

Henderson540
Registered Member

Next

Return to OCS