After OCS

Postby OWIStop » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm

99-9X wrote:Tried for the Cert. of Non-availability, but they've stopped doing it. The Q here sucks...not because of the quarters...they're now pretty decent, but the staff here is completely bitter and mean. Nobody in my class had a good time checking in, with many having to change rooms after they'd checked in. The suites are $54 a night, and the Navy covers it completely (along with $49 a day of per diem). The suites have a living room, a kitchen, bedroom and bath (and some have washer/dryer and stove). Just hope you don't have to deal with the staff here.

I was at IWBC several months ago and the CBQ office nearest the football field is horrible. Unfortunately, they are the ones that are authorized to check you in to the newer rooms (which are nice, but small), BUT they also have old rooms that they could give you too. I'd def ask for a nice room.

There's another CBQ office by the ocean that have decent rooms, not as nice as the newer ones, but decent and the staff is much better. I know bc i lived in both while i was there. (I switched rooms). As far as family, you plan on bringing them to visit or stay for the duration? I don't think you'll have problems with either. My girlfriend came and stayed 12 days w/o any questions. I didn't bother to even register her. A girl/mom in my class brought her 3 boys to visit for 2 weeks and she had no problems (except for tight space).

OWIStop
Registered Member

Postby jboomgaarden » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:30 am

OWIStop wrote:As far as family, you plan on bringing them to visit or stay for the duration?

I'm hoping that my wife can come for the duration of the stay, or at least for half the time. We don't have any kids, so that shouldn't be a problem but we do have a small dog. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how things shake out!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

I doubt the dog would fly in the CBQ, but the wife should be fine.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby apexx58 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:37 pm

I am almost positive a dog would be a no go, but my wife stayed with me for the entire 11-week course. When you check-in at the Gateway Inns, tell them you request a suite. If they say there is none availible, go down 6 hours later when the shift changes an ask the new clerk. Repeat process until they give you one. We went from "none availible for 3 weeks" to being a suite 2 days later.

apexx58
Registered Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Can Girlfriends also stay in the BOQ, or is it limited to dependents?

Also, why would different clerks give different availabilities?

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby Twidget » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:05 pm

I'm in the Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (CBQ) at NAS right now. The guest book on my desk says pets are prohibited.

It also says overnight guests are limited to spouse and dependents.

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby apexx58 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:07 pm

jsmcmurrayjr wrote:Can Girlfriends also stay in the BOQ, or is it limited to dependents?

Officially, probably not. But it's a hotel room... really, who will ever know/care?

jsmcmurrayjr wrote:Also, why would different clerks give different availabilities?

Different clerks have different levels of pride in their job. Just like calling Verizon, or Comcast, or any other customer service person; They all have the power to help you get what you want, the trick is finding someone who is willing to. Persistance usually pays off: my goal is to make it more difficult for them to deal with me than it would be for them to just give me what I want and let them alone.

apexx58
Registered Member

Postby serRastusBear » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Slightly different question from where to stay in Pensacola once the time comes... I just graduated OCS on Dec. 4, and my class date for IWBC isn't until June. In the meantime, I have 6+ months of OHARP to fill in the gap, which is kind of nice on the one hand, but stinks in other respects (e.g., not doing anything related to what I'll ultimately end up doing once the IW track starts). Any suggestions on things to do in the meantime - things to read to prepare for IWBC, etc.? I've printed out some of the docs/articles from the required reading section of this forum, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else productive I can do in the meantime.

serRastusBear
Registered Member

Postby gdewaele » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:44 pm

There is no requisite knowledge needed for IWBC. Just have fun on OHARP, and if you get some experience in the IW realm in the meantime, its just a bonus.

gdewaele
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Do you have the PQS (Personnel Qualification Standard) for IWO? It has plenty of questions that can be answered via unclassified sources. That will give you a good head start if you're really motivated. The document number is NAVEDTRA 43357-2.pdf
You can find it here: https://www.portal.navy.mil/netwarcom/N1/N1%20Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx
but I'm not sure if you'll have access to that site. It requires a CAC card.

arvizo
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to OCS