After OCS

After OCS

Postby jboomgaarden » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 pm

I was recently professionally recommended for the IW community and am trying to get a bit more information about what takes place after graduating from Officer Candidate School.

Can anyone tell me what the typical time frame is between graduating from OCS and reporting for duty at the Navy Information Warfare Officer Basic Course in Pensacola, Florida? Just wondering if I'll have any leave after the 12 weeks at OCS to make the trip down to Florida or if I'll have to fly down right away.

Also, what are the typical living arrangements at the Navy Information Warfare Officer Basic Course in Pensacola, Florida? Wondering if I'll be in barracks or if my wife will be able to join me during that time there, prior to being initially assigned to my first duty station.

Thanks for any insight on this!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

congrats!

Postby mokotoy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 pm

After graduating OCS, IWBC wouldn't usually start right after you graduate since the classes start at certain dates.

As far as travel, you have a choice to either fly or drive to Pensacola. You will have a report date and if you choose to drive you'd usually get a few days of authorized travel depending on where you're coming from. I'm currently attending IWBC. I drove to Pensacola from Seattle and I was given 9 days.

Living arrangements- I'm by myself so I'm staying at the BOQ, so if you're by yourself you'll be staying there as well. I'm not sure about your wife though, I know a couple of the guys in my class have their family here but I don't know what their situation is. I'm sure you can if you wanted to I'm just not sure if the Navy will pay for it. Maybe someone else has the answer for that.

mokotoy
Registered Member

thanks

Postby jboomgaarden » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks mokotoy for the info. I'd love to hear a few others' stories/experiences on these questions.

To expand a bit...for those that didn't go straight from OCS to IWBC because the class start date wasn't close (had more than a week or two in between), what were you required to do as a newly commissioned officer during that lapse time? Did you have to take leave?

Thanks!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:06 am

My IWBC class date was about 2 weeks after my OCS graduation date. OCS tried to detach me and fly me directly to Pensacola, despite the fact that I tried to explain to them my report no earlier date wasn't for another 2 weeks. I was asking the person arranging the flights if I could just set up a flight from Philly to Pensacola for 2 weeks later rather than a flight from Newport to Pensacola right now. She wasn't very cooperative. Finally, some other woman in the office told me she could help me, and we set it up (and I might add I saved the taxpayers about $300). I took leave in PA for those 2 weeks.

As for your family, the CBQ you'll be staying in (that's Combined Bachelor Quarters... both officers and enlisted stay at the same one) does allow family/guests, but only if they're over a certain age (i.e. no small children). You'll probably have to register them at the front desk, too. I could call the CBQ on the Pensacola Naval Air Station to ask directly to verify prior to bringing your family down there.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 pm

The other option, which I did, was to get a non-availability stamp from the BOQ in P-cola. They used to hand them out, no questions asked, due to the run down nature of the BOQ. Then I took the 58 bucks a day (or 1700ish a month) and found a nice furnished rental out in town. In our class, only 2 guys ended up in the Q, with folks spread from Destin to Perdido Key...

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

No CNA's

Postby 99-9X » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Tried for the Cert. of Non-availability, but they've stopped doing it. The Q here sucks...not because of the quarters...they're now pretty decent, but the staff here is completely bitter and mean. Nobody in my class had a good time checking in, with many having to change rooms after they'd checked in. The suites are $54 a night, and the Navy covers it completely (along with $49 a day of per diem). The suites have a living room, a kitchen, bedroom and bath (and some have washer/dryer and stove). Just hope you don't have to deal with the staff here.

99-9X
Registered Member

Thanks

Postby jboomgaarden » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info everyone!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby Mack » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:19 pm

This was about 12 years ago but when I was there, I couldn't get a CNA either, however I found that I could live quite well on the per diem alone. I rented an extra room from some NFOs that were there long term and lived in a nice house just out the back gate to Cory station (much closer than the Pensacola base Q). Perhaps I just got lucky but there are probably similar room for rent opportunities out there.

I got lucky again when I went back for department head school and got put in a DV room in the enlisted quarters setup for Master Chiefs (on the Pcola base). Long story behind how I pulled this one off but it was a great room.

I didn't take my family either time.

Mack
Registered Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Basically if you have a few weeks between OCS and IW Basic, you can OHARP back at your home for a maximum of 90 days. If for some reason it is longer than that (not sure how far apart classes are now) they can send you on to your ultimate PCS station and then fly back to P-cola for class.

The barracks are pretty good now (just make sure you get in the new building) but the wireless internet there is absolutely horrible.

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 pm

I had three months between OCS and IWBC. The gap was filled with OHARP (Officer Hometown Area Recruiting Program) and leave.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Next

Return to OCS