Sept 2009 Selection Boards

Sept 2009 Selection Boards

Postby jboomgaarden » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:21 am

Hoping to hear back this week regarding the Selection Board results for September. Managed to get my package sent off late August....

Applied: IW / Intel / SWO IP

OAR: 63
B.S. Degree Computer Science / Minor Math from North Dakota State University (GPA 3.9)

Little worried about LORs since many people seem to have officers or political members down, whereas I simply have a couple past employers and my professor/advisor during college.

I didn't do a PRT prior to sending my package? Was told that it wasn't necessary...

Had a Minor In Consumption on my record when I was 19 and a speeding ticket a couple years ago. Hopefully they won't dock me too much for that.

Patiently waiting the results!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:51 am

If they know you well and write a good recommendation I wouldn't worry about it. My recommendation letters were written by my former professors.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am

How much of a factor is age?

My recruiter seemed to think that me being selected was a bit of a long shot since I'm relatively young (22).

Is this an issue, or was he possibly being kind and not getting my hopes up because of something else in my package. I do have a rather low GPA (3.07).

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby jboomgaarden » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

jsmcmurrayjr wrote:How much of a factor is age?

My recruiter seemed to think that me being selected was a bit of a long shot since I'm relatively young (22).

Is this an issue, or was he possibly being kind and not getting my hopes up because of something else in my package. I do have a rather low GPA (3.07).

I've never heard of age being a factor, though most of the posts I've seen on here are from applicants a bit older than 22. Don't let it deter you however! If you can make a strong package, then by all means try applying.

Another thing you could think about is going regular enlisted with the idea of applying for an officer in a couple years (if possible). I'm pretty sure they have specific programs for enlisted wanting to become officers.

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby VQ Bubba » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:23 pm

jboomgaarden wrote:I've never heard of age being a factor, though most of the posts I've seen on here are from applicants a bit older than 22. Don't let it deter you however! If you can make a strong package, then by all means try applying.

Another thing you could think about is going regular enlisted with the idea of applying for an officer in a couple years (if possible). I'm pretty sure they have specific programs for enlisted wanting to become officers.

Bit of advice...spend at least a day in the navy before you start advising others (with a college degree no less) to enlist in the hope of securing an officer slot.:cool:

A skill set you have to learn if you earn your commission is to know when you do not know enough to adequately answer a question...speculation can get you into trouble.

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 pm

I've read a bit about the differences between officer life and enlisted life, and talked to a few enlisted folk and a few officers.

Nearly unanimously, the officers liked their jobs and the enlisted people (from all branches) told me to go to college and become an officer. The one exception was an enlisted recruiter :D

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't think I'll enlist.

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 pm

jboomgaarden wrote:Another thing you could think about is going regular enlisted with the idea of applying for an officer in a couple years (if possible). I'm pretty sure they have specific programs for enlisted wanting to become officers.

I just returned from Iraq and was very surprised at the number of Enlisted Sailors with bachelor's degrees. While researching the Enlisted to Officer programs for one of my Sailors, I found out the programs are extremely competitive. For Intel, only two Sailors are selected each year for Seaman-to-Admiral. The only other program I know of is applying straight to OCS. I'm not sure if Enlisted are placed in a separate candidate pool than civilians for OCS.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby jboomgaarden » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 pm

VQ Bubba wrote:Bit of advice...spend at least a day in the navy before you start advising others (with a college degree no less) to enlist in the hope of securing an officer slot.:cool:

A skill set you have to learn if you earn your commission is to know when you do not know enough to adequately answer a question...speculation can get you into trouble.

Well put sir. I should have been less speculative and more specific about the information I was posting on here, as I have no prior military experience.

jsmcmurrayjr, What I should have said was my Officer Recruiter had mentioned the Navy Seaman-to-Admiral program and that if you are interested, this is something you should discuss with your recruiter and potentially with others that have been in or through the program.

Either way, don't be discouraged by your age. If the OR thinks you still have a shot, a good package, and this is something you believe in then by all means you should apply.

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 pm

jboomgaarden wrote:jsmcmurrayjr, What I should have said was my Officer Recruiter had mentioned the Navy Seaman-to-Admiral program and that if you are interested, this is something you should discuss with your recruiter and potentially with others that have been in or through the program.

The general wisdom is: Do not enlist for the sole purpose of becoming an officer. It is actually quite a bit more difficult to get commissioned "from the inside" than through an off the street program.

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby jboomgaarden » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:28 pm

HH-60H wrote:The general wisdom is: Do not enlist for the sole purpose of becoming an officer. It is actually quite a bit more difficult to get commissioned "from the inside" than through an off the street program.

Good info to know!

Could you explain a bit as to why that is the case at all if you know? I'm just curious as I would think they would want those with Navy backgrounds to step into Officer positions if they've proven themselves as qualified leaders already, but that's just my own thought process and I'd be glad to hear others' views.

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Next

Return to OCS