Sept 2009 Selection Boards

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:20 am

What's the benefit from the Navy's point of view for selecting someone for SWO/IW and not straight IW, or for selecting someone for IW and not SWO/IW?

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:20 pm

The Navy "hires" people to fill documented vacancies, which are called "billets." We "hire" new Ensigns to fill Ensign billets. The IW community has roughly 90 Ensign billets and therefore "hires" roughly 45 new Ensigns each year (Ensign billets divided by 2 (years), which is the length of time one is an Ensign). The IW Option program is designed to fill ENS and LTjg SWO requirements and then IW LT requirements (a guaranteed lateral transfer, if you will). The more Ensign billets, the more direct accessions we get. Unfortunately, when people write requirements, they write them for LCDR and up without regard to the fact that LCDRs are not built overnight,l they start out as ENSs. CNO/CNP has all but given us a mandate to fix this problem, which exists to varying degrees in every community.

To answer your specific question, both programs are good for the Navy because they satisfy requirements. If our billet pyramid was ideal, we would need much fewer lateral transfers and option officers. Being that it is far from optimal, we are very much dependent on the same to satisfy our LT and above requirements.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby jboomgaarden » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Got the call from my Officer Recruiter today saying that I was professionally rec'd for IW. I had submitted my package around August 25th for the September boards. Extremely pumped about the upcoming life change, though I know the first 12 weeks will be hard as hell at OCS!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Congratulations

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby mla296 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 pm

I was also just notified by my OR that I was pro rec'd for BDCP IW. I am very excited and can't wait to enter OCS.

mla296
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 pm

mla296 wrote:I was also just notified by my OR that I was pro rec'd for BDCP IW. I am very excited and can't wait to enter OCS.

Congrats and good luck!

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby Henderson540 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Just found out last night I recieved my pro-rec from the October IW board!

This was my second attempt and I had a lot of help from users who frequent this forum and AirWarriors. Don't think I would have gotten the go without them.

I'm really looking forward to being a part this community :cool:

Henderson540
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Henderson540 wrote:Just found out last night I recieved my pro-rec from the October IW board!

This was my second attempt and I had a lot of help from users who frequent this forum and AirWarriors. Don't think I would have gotten the go without them.

Congratulations on your selection

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Congrats

Postby jboomgaarden » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Henderson540 wrote:Just found out last night I recieved my pro-rec from the October IW board!

Congrats man! I was pro-rec'd September for IW and just got my FS Letter today (06 Dec 2009 class), so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait for you!

jboomgaarden
Registered Member

Previous

Return to OCS