SWO/IW Vice IW first

SWO/IW Vice IW first

Postby gtwhitegold » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello all, I would like to know if there are two different pools for the SWO/IW and IW options. If they are selected separately is SWO/IW or IW more competitive or are they were about the same?

Thanks,
Allen

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:02 pm

I think I read somewhere that the SWO boards look at SWO/IW packages and the IW boards look at IW packages.

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

There is a difference

Postby SHFtech » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 pm

From my recuriter: There are two sets of quota's each year, one for SWO/IW and one for IW. IW "stand alone" is more competitive as there are fewer quotas and more applicants. As the prior post indicated, there are two separate boards as they are essentially two different "ratings." Having been prior enlisted, I have no interest in SWO/IW and I'm trying to get my IW packet through. However, if you want the "traditional" Navy experience on a ship as a SWO, where you could be the Communications Officer, Engineering Officer, or anything else they need with no specific career path other then getting your SWO pin and being deployed ALL the time, then SWO/IW is for you. Keep in mind, once you convert over to IW you'll have more general Navy knowledge, but you'll be at least an O2 with less IW knowledge or qualifications than the direct line O1 IWs. In the Navy, career progression and promotions beyond O3 are extremely competitive and you need to start planning now if you want to make it a career.

I know there are many on this forum that will have differing views as some are SWO/IW's and they loved it, and as they say, different strokes for different folks. I'm just looking at it from an IW competativness persepective and I want to get into the community as fast as possible. However, SWO/IW is less competitive because there are more quotas and keep in mind your CO/XO during your SWO tour will try more than likely try and "recruit" you and keep you from going IW. Which is an option if you wanted to stay SWO.

Again, I'm not in yet (although I was prior enlisted) but I've gone over this quite a bit with some O4 friends of mine (Intel and IW) and my recruiter. From my perspective, unless your test scores are low and/or your grades are low which would require applying for the less competitive SWO/IW, I would recommend trying to get straight into the community to learn your job ASAP, get your job relevent quals (IW) and become as competitive as possible for future assignments (Post Grad School?) and promotions.

Just some insight from a fellow selectee hopeful......

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby gtwhitegold » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Well, I am not sure how competitive I would be right now.

My final GPA is 3.08 in Business
My OAR is 50, AQR is 3, PFAR is 3, FOFAR is 3.
I am an IT1 awaiting my first competitive eval. My last 3 actual evals were all non-competitive EPs (Two transfer, one frocking.)
I am still in the process of arranging for interviews.

I also have been guaranteed a LoR from a LT-SWO, CWO4-COMM, and LCDR-Supply, and I am expecting one from a 3 star.

I am awaiting interviews from the respective officers, and my command is going to arrange a pre-board for me.

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:40 pm

If you go the SWO route first you have credibility with the URL guys when you do an operational tour. In their minds that does make a difference.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby SHFtech » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Congrats on IT1, I was an IT2(SW) before I got out. I'm not a recuriter so I hope someone else responds but from navy-officer.com the average OAR is 50. My recruiter said he'd slap me if I didn't get at least a 55, which he said he felt I needed to be competitive (even though I have a Masters in IS Resource Management with a 4.0 GPA, 3.6 GPA Undergrad, 8 1/2 years prior enlisted, and 5 years corporate IT/Auditing experience). Also, the min. required GPA is a 3.0 so the higher the better right? You're still enlisted and your LOR's should pull some weight. Also, if you have your PIN (ESWS) and have done at least one sea tour (which I know you have as an IT1) then you should already get some of the respect the Webmaster was talking about with the URL folks. Prior enlisted, although not an officer, should carry some weight.

Anyway, best of luck and you already know what a SWO does so you can always put in your IW packet, see how it goes and if it's a no-go, resubmit under SWO/IW. Again, I haven't completed the whole processes so this is just my insight having gone through the beginning stages.

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 pm

You can apply for IW and SWO/IW at the same time. Two different boards will see your application.

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby gtwhitegold » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am ESWS qualified, and will be EIWS qualified if it is completed and approved in time. I am just beginning my graduate degree in Computer Science, so I do not have any grades posted yet from that.

I am thinking that I will put SWO/IW first, IW second and SWO/IP third. I did have Supply as third, but I will drop it.

Also, I am willing to take the OAR again. I guess that I will see If my command's officer programs coordinator can set that up for me. I will definitely study for it this time vice just winging it. Are the study books any good?

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:24 am

The day before I took the ASTB, I went over to the local bookstore and read the relevant sections of the Arco guide (look for it near the ASVAB books). It helped give me a feel of what was on the exam.

When reading through it, don't bother with the sections that aren't relevant. The Army and Air Force use different exams which are covered in the book but not useful if you're taking the ASTB.

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 am

gtwhitegold wrote:Hello all, I would like to know if there are two different pools for the SWO/IW and IW options. If they are selected separately is SWO/IW or IW more competitive or are they were about the same?

Thanks,
Allen

Quotas are accounted for separately, but the applications come across the very same desk(s) and we look for the very same thing. Both are extremely competitive...just reviewed the AUG applications and was blown away...technical degrees with high GPAs from high tier schools.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Next

Return to OCS