SWO/IW Vice IW first

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 am

IW OCM wrote:...technical degrees with high GPAs from high tier schools.

My OR was of the opinion that ASTB scores can offset a low GPA. How true is this?

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Studying for the ASTB

Postby SuperMower » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:54 am

jsmcmurrayjr wrote:The day before I took the ASTB, I went over to the local bookstore and read the relevant sections of the Arco guide (look for it near the ASVAB books). It helped give me a feel of what was on the exam.

Maybe others had no trouble with the ASTB, but for me one day's worth of studying wouldn't have been nearly enough. I studied a couple of hours every day for a week. I did fine on the test, but I really think I needed another week to completely understand all the aviation science. I would advise anyone about to take it to buy the Arco book, find some Web sites devoted to nautical procedures and aviation, and really study them well.
Sorry to get a little off track.

SuperMower
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:49 pm

jsmcmurrayjr wrote:My OR was of the opinion that ASTB scores can offset a low GPA. How true is this?

We look at the complete package, so yes that is a true statement.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby Mack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:39 pm

gtwhitegold wrote:I am thinking that I will put SWO/IW first, IW second and SWO/IP third. I did have Supply as third, but I will drop it.

It sounds like you want to be an IWO so you should put that first (unless you want to be a SWO which is fine but then you should actually list SWO as one of your choices). At any rate, I wouldn't try to game the boards or quotas, just make sure your application accurately reflects your desires.

OCM please correct me if I am wrong.
My understanding is that the boards will review your application in the order of your preferences. The 2nd and 3rd guys won't even get to see it if you are selected for your first choice. If all of your three choices pass on you, it goes into open selection opportunity by any community. I don't think you can be selected by more than one community and then pick the one you really want.

Mack
Registered Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:02 pm

Mack wrote:It sounds like you want to be an IWO so you should put that first (unless you want to be a SWO which is fine but then you should actually list SWO as one of your choices). At any rate, I wouldn't try to game the boards or quotas, just make sure your application accurately reflects your desires.

OCM please correct me if I am wrong.
My understanding is that the boards will review your application in the order of your preferences. The 2nd and 3rd guys won't even get to see it if you are selected for your first choice. If all of your three choices pass on you, it goes into open selection opportunity by any community. I don't think you can be selected by more than one community and then pick the one you really want.

I was under the impression that you were reviewed by all the boards for your preferences even if your 1st preference wanted you, the 2nd and 3rd also looked you over.

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Postby Twidget » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:48 pm

Unless something has changed, it still works as it was explained to me by the Enlisted Apps Processor. He said your app is sent to all the communities for which you apply, but I'm not sure how it works if one holds a board before the others, or if multiple communities want the same person.

He was very specific in saying the needs of the Navy take precedence. He told me to only put Nuke if that's what I really wanted to be. He said that if you put Nuke, even if it was your 3rd choice, they had priority over all other communities at the time. I don't know how it stands now, but I'd guess that Nuke, EOD, Aviation, etc probably can take someone they really want from an RL community.

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby IW OCM » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:08 am

1) All packages are shared in parallel with each of the communities the applicant desires (as stated on his/her application)
2) Each community professionally reviews the package
3) If the individual is desired by more than one community, the individual gets to choose
4) Each community reviews the packages differently and at different intervals. IW/INTEL/IP (and the corresponding SWO Options) review them monthly, but not together (an area for improvement)

In the July board we professionally recommended applicants regardless of where we were on their preference list. We were snubbed by more than one because they also were afforded opportunities by a community who was higher on their preference list. Same may be true next month, but we owe it to all parties to select the best and fully qualified regardless of where they believe IW falls on their list. Not picking someone merely because we were third on their list is shortsided.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby jsmcmurrayjr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:09 am

If someone is pro-rec'd for one community and chooses another, does the next month's board pro-rec more applicants than they would have otherwise?

jsmcmurrayjr
Registered Member

Postby Twidget » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:58 am

IW OCM wrote: 3) If the individual is desired by more than one community, the individual gets to choose

Thanks for clearing that up!

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby gtwhitegold » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm

I had just personally rather earn my SWO pin before beginning the life of an IW. It would allow me to focus more on my job as an IW and other tasks I had as vice standing more watches to get OOD UW qualified and all of the other watchstanding responsibilities I would have to earn my pin on my first full sea tour if I did not take the SWO option.

If I go to a small boy to start off with, I already know what I will likely be doing. COMMO and Primary EKMS Manager. I guess once you go to the Vault you never really leave. On the other hand, the Skipper may say that I know enough in that area and send me to another division. ASWO or FCO could be interesting for the first couple of years.

Either way, I would be more than satisfied if I get selected. If I do not get selected, I am young enough to reapply more than a few times. I had form 1 for my ASTB test, so I have 3 more chances to raise my score, and I am doing well on my MS program, so no worries here.

gtwhitegold
Registered Member

Previous

Return to OCS