How often are Boards held?

How often are Boards held?

Postby SHFtech » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for the great site! I'm new to the forum, but the threads have already answered a lot of questions. I'm wondering how often boards are held?

I'm prior enlisted, IT2(SW), and I just started my package last week. I don't finish my Masters (information resource management) until Aug. but I don't want to miss out on potentially being selected. Will submitting my package now, even though I'm not available until essentially October, hurt my chances for OCS or IW selection?

Also, any advice on the process? Stat's provided.

Prior Service: Total Active TIS 5 years
4 1/2 years Army National Guard, Field Artillery (only counts towards 1 year active duty)
4 years Navy, IT2 (SW) (USS John S. McCain)
TS Clearance
1 NAM
1 Flag Letter of Commendation
Multiple Command Letters of Commendation/Recommendation
ESWS in 3 Months

Education:
Bachelors of Business, 3.08 (completed while working 40+ hours and raising 2 children which effected my GPA)
Masters, Information Resource Management, 4.0 (24 of 36 credits complete, graduate in Aug. 09)

Work Experience:
4 Years Information Systems Auditing (ethical hacking) Banking/Insurance Industries
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)

LOR's from current LTCMDR, USN, Intel Community; LTCOL, USArmy Retired, Helicopter Pilot in Vietnam; Congressman, Michigan's 8th Congressional District; Current Manager, 20 years in Audit; Current Senior Auditor; 30 years Audit and Vietnam Vet; and Current College Professor, Phd MIS.

I live in MI, so going out of state isn't an option right now to find 3 IW's to interview with, unless you know of anyone coming to MI on leave anytime soon?

The only reason I got out was the STA-21 program would have taken too long and I thought I could finish me degree's faster in the civilain world and come back in. After setting up the CT's circuits (I ran Radio on the McCain) and working with their Officers, I knew IW was the only community for me. I've only been out since Aug. 04' and was able to complete my undergrad and grad degrees in right around 5 years. I'm 30, but technically only 26 in Navy years due to my prior service :)

Any additional info is appreciated. It's a rare thing to have the chance to live your dream!

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby HH-60H » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 pm

SHFtech wrote:Thanks for the great site! I'm new to the forum, but the threads have already answered a lot of questions. I'm wondering how often boards are held?

I don't claim to be an expert in this officer selection program, but I got this from Airwarriors.com.

http://www.navy-officer.com/

1) http://www.navy-officer.com/application.html (Find "Selection Board Dates")

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby IW OCM » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 am

Boards are held monthly (roughly) and we have a rolling admission like model. OCS data and selection date are not related. We are beginning to make FY-10 OCS selections. Recommend you apply to IP at the same time. Next year will be the first IPs will enjoy direct accessions using OCS.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Any Supporting documentation......

Postby SHFtech » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:07 pm

My Officer Recruiter was unaware of the IP direct accession opportunities for next year. He's looking into it for me, but in the mean time, do you have any supporting documentation for this?

Thanks for the help and although IW is my first choice, IP sounds like a good fit based on my prior IT experience and my current corporate experience.

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:20 am

I don't have a copy handy, but tell her to read the IP Program Authorization. It reflects the requirements for SWO (IP Option) and IP Direct. Both via OCS. If she has any questions, she can call me 901-874-3123 (CDR Sean Heritage).

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby SHFtech » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

CDR Heritage,
Thanks for talking with my officer recruiter. It looks like I've fallen into a gray zone as the IP direct accession billets wont' be open until 01 Oct 09. If my IW packet comes back a no-go, then maybe this will be an option. Anyway, I appreciate the assistance and your help just confirms the value of this site!

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby IW OCM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 pm

My pleasure. It is my understanding that you can apply and even be selected, you just cannot be commissioned until after 01 OCT 09. Please talk with your recruiter, but I have been told the first batch of FY10 OCS accessions are "shipped" in mid/late JUL.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Return to OCS