Life as an Ensign IWO

Life as an Ensign IWO

Postby concept03 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:36 am

Well, I did it! I found out yesterday that I have been pro-rec'd for Information Warfare. I can still hardly believe I've been (nearly) selected (still waiting on the official notice after the background check)

I'd like to know if anyone has some ideas as to what I could expect after OCS. I'm 27, married, and no children. What is life like for an O-1 IW officer? I'm curious primarily how long I should expect to not be able to see my wife. I have a good idea that I can expect at least one (very likely two) 6-month sea deployment, with run up work requiring 2 weeks away at a time.

Any thoughts or information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

concept03
Registered Member

Postby mrsaturn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

Grats!

Truth is... you never know.

You could be drinking tea with people who dont shower :p

Or riding on a sub.
or Surface
or in a plane
or locked in an office.

In the near future after OCS you have IWBC. Enjoy it! Pensacola is pretty fun!

mrsaturn
Experienced Member

Postby HH-60H » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 pm

concept03 wrote:Well, I did it! I found out yesterday that I have been pro-rec'd for Information Warfare. I can still hardly believe I've been (nearly) selected (still waiting on the official notice after the background check)

I'd like to know if anyone has some ideas as to what I could expect after OCS. I'm 27, married, and no children. What is life like for an O-1 IW officer? I'm curious primarily how long I should expect to not be able to see my wife. I have a good idea that I can expect at least one (very likely two) 6-month sea deployment, with run up work requiring 2 weeks away at a time.

Any thoughts or information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Congratulations! Good look at OCS, IWBC, and beyond.

HH-60H
Administrator

Postby VQ Bubba » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:19 pm

mrsaturn wrote:Grats!

Truth is... you never know.

You could be drinking tea with people who dont shower :p

Or riding on a sub.
or Surface
or in a plane
or locked in an office.

In the near future after OCS you have IWBC. Enjoy it! Pensacola is pretty fun!

I've been reading to my kids WAY too much because halfway through your post I started thinking "I do NOT like green eggs and ham, Sam I am":)

To the OP, congrats on selection. IW looks like a growth field these days...enjoy.

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Congratulations. My advice...knock out your qual quickly and then go to sea if you can. In actually you'll probably end up at a cryptologic center. You might have a chance to go DIRSUP. If not go to sea after your first tour. Go for the riding on something rather than locked in the office. It's more fun.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby beaver » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 pm

I am in a similar situation as the original poster. I know the school is at Cory station for 9 or 11 weeks and then between three NSA locations. What are the good, the bad, and of course the ugly about Augusta GA, San Antonio TX, and Hawaii?

beaver
Registered Member

Postby ksaintg » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:15 am

beaver wrote:I am in a similar situation as the original poster. I know the school is at Cory station for 9 or 11 weeks and then between three NSA locations. What are the good, the bad, and of course the ugly about Augusta GA, San Antonio TX, and Hawaii?

No Ft Meade?? I suppose timing and billet availability are everything.

The best thing about Ft Meade was meeting all the other boot ensigns.

ksaintg
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:07 am

i can speak of San Antonio a bit. I liked it because when I arrived, I was 1 of 3 Ensigns at the command. So, I was lucky enough to be able to deploy whenever I wanted (and sometimes when i didn't). I don 't about the rest of the commands, but it seemed like they all had many more Ensigns than did we. The benefit was that it provided a steep learning curve, and many more opportunities than my friends from other commands. i talked to some people who were sent to an RSOC and they said they were only able to take a couple of rides, sit the watch floor, and finish up their qual. i was able to do subsurface a few times, surface rides, and an IA in addition finishing my qualification. it worked out pretty well in that i was able to experience different platforms in different communities, and I was able to exponentially add very helpful knowledge for the qualification process.

In my opinion - go where the requirements are very high and the number of JOs is smallest (relative to JO requirements), avoid watch floors (they do nothing for you as a Naval officer and are so procedurally routinized that there is no value an the IW officer, those billets only exist because someone with culpability has to sit in that seat - it could be (and has been) filled by an idiot), and take every deployment you can so long as it is different from your last. This way, when you are done, you will have a greater depth of knowledge, you will be able to communicate effectively with the officers from other communities you are going to support later in your career, and you will not have to waste more time than is absolutely necessary on a watch floor to get your qual. However, some folks I know like the watch floor and enjoy being home. So, you kind of have to know what type of person you are. The thing about watch floors are that they suck in JOs and it is difficult to get out. I know someone who worked the watch for like 2 years. Once you know what you are doing - and it doesn't take that long - the extra time spent there is a waste and doesn't help you out much, except to have good stories that start out with, "One time, when I was on the watch floor...". The tough part for a JO is that his/her CO has a commitment to provide so much assistance in order to man the watch at an RSOC. So - decide what you might like to do, what type of person you are, and then proceed according to your interests.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:31 am

I only partially agree with the above poster. The reasoning behind sending you to large NIOCs/RSOCs after IWBC is to expose you to as many facets of the IW job as possible. The reality of your situation is you will most likely end up working as a watch officer sooner or later, so getting that exposure now along with sea time is a good way to round you out early. I've spent a great deal of time in Hawaii as both an enlisted CT and an officer, and can tell you that our Ensigns, while we get a lot of them, all have relatively similar experiences. You will spend a little bit of time on the watch floor, most likely followed by DIRSUP time. If you're an able-bodied male (and "volunteer") you are most likely going sent subsurface. The females get sent to fulfill surface direct support requirements, if the platform can accept a female. We do have some males doing surface direct support, so it's still possible, but not probable.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sparkplug » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:38 pm

ksaintg wrote:No Ft Meade?? I suppose timing and billet availability are everything.

The best thing about Ft Meade was meeting all the other boot ensigns.

Ft. Meade is only an option if the detailers have changed their previous policy. Over the last year or so, they tended to avoid sending first term JOs (non-prior enlisted) to the Fort. Not that I agree with their reasoning, but it was because they were concerned about the number of folks who did a tour at Ft. Meade, extended, and got out for a government or contracting gig. When initially presented with that argument, my response was that we are doing a bad job of selling the community. If we truly take ADM Roughead's vision to heart and make sure we do our part to make the Navy one of the top 50 employers in the US, keeping good people shouldn't be hard.

Sparkplug
Experienced Member

Next

Return to OCS