Life as an Ensign IWO

Postby phrogpilot73 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Sum1 wrote:Any IWO who has them is an LDO.

Or they're a lat transfer.

"Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?
Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?"
- Anonymous
phrogpilot73
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:47 pm

enavypa wrote:This almost seems like a case where IWO's should request an exception to the rule in general since all other officers on board subs have the ability to qualify some sort of dolphins (EDO, Supply, LDO, or Nukes). I wonder what type of push that would take and if it would be worth it...

A JO at my command who was previously dive and COW qualified from being a Chief on a submarine attempted to finish all the quals except for aft engineering spaces. He was going to petition to subpac to see if they would buy off on letting him earn the pin. He never finished, and there was never any resolution to the matter as far as I know. He was probably the most credible attempt at earning them in recent time, at least on the west coast.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby bubblehead » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:44 am

Sum1 wrote:...attempted to finish all the quals except for aft engineering spaces. He was going to petition to SUBPAC to see if they would buy off on letting him earn the pin.

Ain't. Gonna. Happen. Period. End of discussion.

You have to be nuclear trained (i.e., Nuclear Power School, Nuclear Power Training Unit) in order to qualify as EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch) or as EDO (Engineering Duty Officer).

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:16 pm

bubblehead wrote:Ain't. Gonna. Happen. Period. End of discussion.

You have to be nuclear trained (i.e., Nuclear Power School, Nuclear Power Training Unit) in order to qualify as EOOW (Engineering Officer of the Watch) or as EDO (Engineering Duty Officer).

Except if you're an LDO or CWO you don't need to be because you aren't required to do all the same aft requirements as normal URL nuclear trained guys. That was the route he was going to take to rationalize it to the people who made the decisions. He said he was hearing positive things from them, but it didn't matter because he never got to finish.

And the discussion continues.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Re: Life as an Ensign IWO

Postby egiv » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

Reviving an old thread here - back in 2008, an earlier poster mentioned that new IWOs should expect a high probability of being deployed soon after IWBC. As a new Ensign in 2014, with big operations over in Iraq/Afghanistan, what can we expect after IWBC and knocking out our qual? Do we have much influence in deciding our billets or are we pretty much at the mercy of 'needs of the Navy?' I would be interested in seeing what types of opportunities IWOs have to support NSW, although information has been understandably hard to come by.

egiv
Registered Member

Re: Life as an Ensign IWO

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm

egiv wrote:Reviving an old thread here - back in 2008, an earlier poster mentioned that new IWOs should expect a high probability of being deployed soon after IWBC. As a new Ensign in 2014, with big operations over in Iraq/Afghanistan, what can we expect after IWBC and knocking out our qual? Do we have much influence in deciding our billets or are we pretty much at the mercy of 'needs of the Navy?' I would be interested in seeing what types of opportunities IWOs have to support NSW, although information has been understandably hard to come by.

egiv,

Shoot me your contact info in a PM and I can talk you through NSW opportunities.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to OCS