Grad school concurrently with first IW tour and NPS timing?

Grad school concurrently with first IW tour and NPS timing?

Postby alpinist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 pm

I am a SWO that was selected for lat xfer into IW. Currently I am on shore duty with some extra time on my hands and have been contemplating starting an online graduate degree. It will be about 8 months before I start my first IW tour. I would prefer to plan on attending NPS, however I am concerned about career timing once I complete my initial and operational tour. I am a 2 yr LT now. If I complete a master's degree on my own am I closing the door on NPS? Does the workload during an initial IW tour support trying to get a degree?

I am looking at the Master of Professional Studies degree in Information Security and Forensics from Penn State and the IA degree from Norwich. Does anyone have any insight into the quality of these programs or have any other recommendations for online degrees?

I would be looking at trying to fund this program through post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, but the VA website is vague on what benefits are paid to members still on active duty. I am assuming everything except the BAH. Has anyone tried to do this? Thanks!

alpinist
Registered Member

Postby Sleeper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Here's NSA's list of Centers of Academic Excellence in IA education, which should help with one of your questions:
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Right now the post 9/11 GI Bill will give Active Duty everything but BAH. Check out the Yellow Ribbon program if you're not familiar with it. Prior to September, the post 9/11 GI Bill actually had a huge benefit for Active Duty in that there was no limit to the funding, e.g., you could do a Harvard EMBA that would normally cost $160k and it was all covered. Now you have the same limit as everyone else.

If you do a technical Master's degree on your own and the Navy is aware of it, you probably would not be able to attend NPS.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 pm

arvizo wrote:If you do a technical Master's degree on your own and the Navy is aware of it, you probably would not be able to attend NPS.

This is where I am at the moment... I'm two classes from being finished with an MBA I started in 2006/2007 as my back-up plan for when I was considering getting out of the Navy as a PO2/PO1. Fast forward to today and I'd love to finish it, but don't want to preclude myself from coursework more applicable to my job and more related to my current interests. I've been looking at international relations, area studies, diplomacy, etc, as well as a really cool looking predictive analytics MS (stats on crack).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Return to Graduate Education