NPS Programs

Postby Sum1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:54 am

What constitutes an operational tour is another discussion for another (dedicated) thread, in my opinion. I have pretty strong feelings about it, but won't pull this one too off topic.

As far as NPS is concerned, latest gouge is the National Security Studies (i.e. regional studies) seats at NPS are gone. The last 3 were filled in 2011 or 2012 and the community isn't putting anyone else into the programs. This is due to the lack of concrete requirements for IW officers with those particular skills in specific jobs.

Now, if you're interested in those types of programs they do exist, but they are not through NPS and their selection is MUCH more competitive.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 am

With that, do you know what else is still up for grabs?

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 am

EE, IW, and CS for sure. I know one guy who was in some space-related program, but he got his seat about 2 years ago and I'm not sure if those are still options. You can also do your MBA through NPS, but that is a non-residency/distance learning program. There may be another option or two that I'm unaware of or not thinking about at the moment.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby das » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm doing the Space Systems distance learning graduate program — so that's an option, too. NPS actually has quite a few DL programs:

http://nps.edu/DL/

I talked with the program manager for the new Cyber Systems and Operations (CSO) program last month (see http://www.nps.edu/academics/generalcatalog/2529.htm for details), and they're working on a distance masters program and certificate for that as well. No timeline, but it's in the works.

Probably not as fun as an tour in Monterey, but another option for a free NPS masters...

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 pm

das wrote:I'm doing the Space Systems distance learning graduate program ? so that's an option, too. NPS actually has quite a few DL programs:

http://nps.edu/DL/

I talked with the program manager for the new Cyber Systems and Operations (CSO) program last month (see http://www.nps.edu/academics/generalcatalog/2529.htm for details), and they're working on a distance masters program and certificate for that as well. No timeline, but it's in the works.

Probably not as fun as an tour in Monterey, but another option for a free NPS masters...

What I'm more curious about is if that counts as your one "Navy-funded degree" and precludes your attendance of other Masters programs (with the exception of the War College).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

OneShot,

I spent two years at my first tour and then went to NPS for CS. This seemed ideal to me for career timing. I arrived as a LTJG and graduated as a 1-year LT. That gave me plenty of time for several FITREPs and an IA prior to being in-zone for LCDR.

Sum1,

I can't say about the DL programs at the link above, but the NPS EMBA at selected fleet concentration areas appears to be counted as the one "Navy-funded degree." However, I inquired several years ago and things may have changed.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Not sure how long ago that was, but these days there is talk of extending JOs first tours from three years out to at least four years. This is to allow for a robust training program while still giving the NSA and Navy some return on their investment. In Hawaii the NSA was getting upset because our training pipeline was very Navy-centric and they either were getting completely untrained new people or folks who had been to sea and/or doing other great things, but only had 6 months left at the command.

If we do go to 4 year initial tours it will force another look at the timing of NPS (particularly for those who wait until the 3rd tour to look at NPS).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby OneShot » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Arvizo,

That's awesome. Was getting your Masters in CS at NPS just as difficult as you expected or more/less?

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby Arkad » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 am

Sum1 wrote:...these days there is talk of extending JOs first tours from three years out to at least four years. This is to allow for a robust training program while still giving the NSA and Navy some return on their investment.

Where is there such talk?

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am

Arkad wrote:Where is there such talk?

It was being extensively briefed during my time at NIOC Hawaii. I'm sure there are people still there who could provide those briefs. Unfortunately, since my transfer and until I get our JWICS up and running I'm stuck in a NIPR/SIPR world without access to those items.

Sum1
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Graduate Education