NPS Programs

NPS Programs

Postby Schlag » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Just curious if anyone knew what NPS Programs are currently available for IW's currently. I thought it was just Computer Science, Information Warfare, and Electrical Engineering but then I saw a brief where more/different programs were listed.

Just trying to find ground truth - thanks!

Schlag
Experienced Member

FROM THE IWOCM FACT SHEET

Postby 1610MATROS » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Many IWOs attend the Naval Postgraduate School to complete a Masters Degree in the Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Warfare and Regional Studies curriculums.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby OneShot » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Is there any statistics that say how many IWOs get a specific degree at NPS? I'm wondering if more IWO's get a IW or CS degree. Also, how fast after OCS can an IWO attend NPS? If I had to guess it would be a year after IWBC.

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 pm

OneShot wrote:Is there any statistics that say how many IWOs get a specific degree at NPS? I'm wondering if more IWO's get a IW or CS degree. Also, how fast after OCS can an IWO attend NPS? If I had to guess it would be a year after IWBC.

In reality attending NPS would have to wait until the initial tour in the community is complete. You have to factor the time required to complete your IW and IDWC PQS and gain some experience on the national side.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Schlag » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 am

1610MATROS wrote:Many IWOs attend the Naval Postgraduate School to complete a Masters Degree in the Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Warfare and Regional Studies curriculums.

You can still attend and get a non-technical degree? I thought they got rid of that option

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby OneShot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:10 am

Thanks for the information. That makes much more sense.

So according to this timeline (credit to I Like the Cut of His Jib) and your opinion, where would you think that would be? Between year 4 - 6 ? I'm just trying to picture a couple of years in advance as best as I can.

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby Pwlk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:30 am

OneShot wrote:Also, how fast after OCS can an IWO attend NPS? If I had to guess it would be a year after IWBC.

Recent passdown from the detailer is that you must complete an operational tour before he will send you to NPS.

Assuming you spend 3 years at a NIOC and then 2 years doing some sort of 'operational tour', you are looking at 5 years post OCS.

A good discussion to have is what defines an 'operational tour' in our community.

Pwlk
Experienced Member

Postby OneShot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you very much; 5 years isn't bad at all. I would absolutely LOVE to spectate an informed conversation about "what defines an operational tour." I love learning about this community.

OneShot
Registered Member

Postby Sleeper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:13 am

Pwlk wrote:A good discussion to have is what defines an 'operational tour' in our community.

Whatever satiates our deep-seated daddy issues, manifested through an irrational craving for SWO abuse and approval. :D

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby ga10 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Three years flying in my initial tour satisfied the operational tour for me. You don't necessarily have to do another 2 years post-first tour.

ga10
Registered Member

Next

Return to Graduate Education