Grad School in the community.

Postby Sum1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 am

The changes that occurred with tuition assistance eligibility within the last year is something everyone needs to be aware of. Sometime within the last year (or two already?) the TA rules were changed so that if you earned a degree on active duty utilizing Navy money the Navy would no longer pay for another degree or courses at the same level. What I was told by a couple of O-4s while applying to OCS was that if my goal was to eventually attend NPS (which it still is... here's to hoping the Regional Studies opens up billets), that I should not finish the online MBA I was completing. I ended up stopping the MBA work with only 2 courses left because I didn't want to make myself ineligible for NPS or other more pertinent graduate education programs as an IWO.

As an aside, I'm familiar with NPS and the use of TA/GI Bill for the pursuit of graduation education as an officer. I've also spent considerable time completing some online coursework that applied to both my undergrad degree and the MBA I was completing. What I haven't heard of is a program that allows IW officers to complete graduate degrees in-residence at regular universities (i.e. Regional Studies degree from Georgetown School of Foreign Service, etc, etc). I think NPS's reputation both in and out of the military would be sufficient to score a good job in the private sector, but obviously there are schools out there with more widely recognized names. Anyone ever hear of any opportunities like this for IWOs?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:39 am

Sum1 wrote:What I haven't heard of is a program that allows IW officers to complete graduate degrees in-residence at regular universities (i.e. Regional Studies degree from Georgetown School of Foreign Service, etc, etc). I think NPS's reputation both in and out of the military would be sufficient to score a good job in the private sector, but obviously there are schools out there with more widely recognized names. Anyone ever hear of any opportunities like this for IWOs?

Yes, the Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP) allows DoD civilians and military of any designator to get Master's and PhDs at many different schools.

http://www.defenselink.mil/cio-nii/iasp/

You can do NPS, AFIT, or one of the partner schools that includes Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Tulsa and many others.

http://www.defenselink.mil/cio-nii/iasp/DoDMembersMain.htm
This link talks about the partner schools.

Unfortunately, you have to be at least an O-4 to do the partner schools. Also, even though they accept any designator, getting the IWO community to approve it could be quite a hurdle. A single CS PhD billet via IASP is in the process of being formalized (may already be) for IWO.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby arvizo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:45 am

Mack wrote:I'm the program officer that Twidget referred to above. We have two new tracks that are Navy and ABET approved: Network Engineering and Sensor Systems Engineering. I also removed the old restrictions that some students were kept from taking certain tracks as I could find no evidence that there was ever any official restriction. Somehow there was this "tribal knowledge" that kept getting passed on to all the new students but noone knew what it was based on.

Mack, I know we have a single EE PhD billet at NPS. Is that always filled by someone with a Master's in EE? I have a Bachelor's in CE and a Master's in CS and would like to know if that is acceptable. Granted, I realize the chances of getting a billet available once every three years are pretty slim.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Mack » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 pm

PhD billets are few and far between and we don't necessarily always have one here. You have to watch the annual announcement message to see what you are even eligible to apply for by designator in any given year. After that the competition is extremely tough as you mentioned.

There is no formal requirement for a MSEE however, the program itself here is extremely difficult and you would be unlikely to pass the entrance exams with your background. The department website describes the entire process: http://www.nps.edu/Academics/GSEAS/ECE/eceHandbook2007/PHD/phdprog.htm
Check it out and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mack
Registered Member

Postby BTS » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:40 pm

Follow-on to posts by Sum1 and arviso WRT external grad school opportunities.

The Olmstead and Pol-Mil programs are both offered each year by BUPERS. Both state requirements that applicants be "line" officers, but information on the http://www.Olmsteadfoundation.org webite specifically includes 1610's. There is less info available on Pol-Mil, but would hope it is the same way. See the BUPERS graduate education page for (very) limited details.

Recommend contacting the IWO CM if you want to make certain of eligibility - or just apply (the worst that can happen is a rejection letter).

BTS
Registered Member

Postby Semisonic9 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:32 am

Sum1 wrote: I think NPS's reputation both in and out of the military would be sufficient to score a good job in the private sector, but obviously there are schools out there with more widely recognized names. Anyone ever hear of any opportunities like this for IWOs?

Newbie here.

What is "NPS"?

Semisonic9
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:37 am

Semisonic9 wrote:Newbie here.

What is "NPS"?

Naval postgraduate School.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:51 am

IWOs are eligible for Olmstead and other great grad ed and fellowship programs. Challenge is our inventory supporting such an assignment. Applications require a detailer endorsement so recommend interested IWOs contact their respective detailer. I can tell you we had one IWO compete this year.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Can anyone provide some details on the War College for JMPE Phase I/Masters Degrees? What is the schedule like? How much time off do you get? If you geo-batch up there do you have to pay out of pocket for living expenses? Etc. Thanks!

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:47 am

Is the community going to get those security study seats at NPS we've been hearing about? Last I heard we had failed to procure seats for a particular fiscal year (2010 maybe?) but that plans were in the works for 6 the following year. This is coming completely from memory, so I could be wrong.

Would be a good option for those of us not running around with comp sci/engineering degrees.

Sum1
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Graduate Education