Value of NPS Certificate Programs?

Value of NPS Certificate Programs?

Postby Snake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:54 pm

I've applied to transfer to the IDC communities three times since attriting from flight training in '08, without success. On the IW Accessions Info page on NPC, they recommend applicants complete the ISO (now NWOT-OPS) and SS certificate programs, both of which I've completed. This has made no difference in the board outcomes, and given the recent change in policy on space cadre AQDs, I'm now wondering if the boards and the IDC community lend any value to the completion of these or any other NPS certificates.

For those in IW or any other IDC designator, I'd appreciate your viewpoints.

Snake
Registered Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Snake wrote:I've applied to transfer to the IDC communities three times since attriting from flight training in '08, without success. On the IW Accessions Info page on NPC, they recommend applicants complete the ISO (now NWOT-OPS) and SS certificate programs, both of which I've completed. This has made no difference in the board outcomes, and given the recent change in policy on space cadre AQDs, I'm now wondering if the boards and the IDC community lend any value to the completion of these or any other NPS certificates.

For those in IW or any other IDC designator, I'd appreciate your viewpoints.

The certificates are going to make a strong record even stronger. They will help a record rise tot the top, but not make the record.
What actually influences the selection board is what your record looks like. What have you done since 08, how well did you do it, have you reached out to IW officers for help, opportunities to work with them, etc. Has anyone looked at your record?

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby Snake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 pm

I have not had my record reviewed, but I'm open to it if anyone's interested. While I was at Norfolk three years I reached out to the NIOC at Little Creek and got an endorsement from there. However my last two duty stations have been overseas remote and overseas exchange and not had any IW officers, so it's been difficult to reach out.

Snake
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm in Norfolk if you come out this way. I'd be happy to sit down with you. You can also hit up the community manager.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Value of NPS Certificate Programs

Postby IW OCM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:58 am

@Snake:

The OCMs do not actually sit the lateral transfer boards - so it's difficult to point to a particular reason for non-selection (nor could we if we did sit the boards).

Solid FITREPs are key. It also matters how your record stacks up against the other applicants in and around your Year Group.

Definitely recommend having a mentor look through your record with you (The OSR and PSR from BOL). Continue to do well where you're at, and reapply as desired.

@Everyone else: The IW Wardroom's inventory is at historically high levels, and so there is a reduced need for lateral transfers into the community. Thus, competition for those low numbers of quotas will be especially keen.

As always, happy to make time for questions. Happy New Year!

V/r,

IW OCM
901-874-3123

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Return to Graduate Education