CO of Momsen gets 42 months in brig

Postby Wolfpack » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

das wrote:But if it's semi-common knowledge within the community, wouldn't at least some of the people staffing the board also know this, and thus bring a personal bias into the decision making process (even if that's inappropriate) without the issue being formally discussed or documented?

Or is that "not the way it works"?

It is a thin line in what everyone thinks happens and what actually happens. Who has not been the subject of some type of gossip that really only reflects a portion of what actually happened. As stated, the board is only allowed to consider official paperwork. Yes, some members know other stories about the person, but they are suppose to vote on the record.
There is the story of a record being briefed and one of the voting members is the reporting senior of the individual. One of the other voting members asks him if he has anything to say about the person and his only comment is that "yes, he worked for me". Those few words say much without being negative.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Wolfpack wrote:It is a thin line in what everyone thinks happens and what actually happens. Who has not been the subject of some type of gossip that really only reflects a portion of what actually happened. As stated, the board is only allowed to consider official paperwork. Yes, some members know other stories about the person, but they are suppose to vote on the record.
There is the story of a record being briefed and one of the voting members is the reporting senior of the individual. One of the other voting members asks him if he has anything to say about the person and his only comment is that "yes, he worked for me". Those few words say much without being negative.

But aren't these board results briefed to community leader? Couldn't a possible issue have been addressed at that time? Could the community leader have asked for some clarification on the issue before approving the results?

I am not convinced that this mistake couldn't have been addressed in some way before this assignment was approved. Then again, maybe due diligence was done in this case. I guess we'll never know.

(Note: I completely agree this should have been documented in the first place. However, I wonder if other opportunities to address and resolve this issue were missed.)

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:37 pm

COMEVIL wrote:But aren't these board results briefed to community leader? Couldn't a possible issue have been addressed at that time? Could the community leader have asked for some clarification on the issue before approving the results?

I am not convinced that this mistake couldn't have been addressed in some way before this assignment was approved. Then again, maybe due diligence was done in this case. I guess we'll never know.

(Note: I completely agree this should have been documented in the first place. However, I wonder if other opportunities to address and resolve this issue were missed.)

The board results are not briefed to the community leaders prior to release. The only folks who know the results are those on the board. There are many controls to make sure that there is no unauthorized tampering with the results. Now, if the Navy knew that someone selected should not be promoted, they could take actions after the results are out - but again, that would require the proper documentation occurring beforehand. Still comes back the fact that if people do not do their job, bad people get through the system.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Wolfpack wrote:The board results are not briefed to the community leaders prior to release. The only folks who know the results are those on the board. There are many controls to make sure that there is no unauthorized tampering with the results. Now, if the Navy knew that someone selected should not be promoted, they could take actions after the results are out - but again, that would require the proper documentation occurring beforehand. Still comes back the fact that if people do not do their job, bad people get through the system.

Thanks, Wolfpack. I guess this truly shows the importance of documenting performance, good and bad.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yingxuy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 am

How do you share those opinions constructively? Our seniors choose not to document things in FITREPs that should be and as a result character flaws are not considered.

yingxuy
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 pm

More inappropriate behavior by a CO. I think it is worth discussing what you could / would do as an XO if found in this position.

v/r

Comevil

Navy report finds preferential treatment on Ponce

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby SailorDave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 am

COMEVIL wrote:More inappropriate behavior by a CO. I think it is worth discussing what you could / would do as an XO if found in this position.

v/r

Comevil

Navy report finds preferential treatment on Ponce

I worked on the same ship as this particular officer and she was a horrible leader. She would coerce some male officer to give her the combo to the male six man stateroom, then go in there (unannounced) at odd hours and make one of them get out of the rack to go perform some minor task. It was a shame that the XO and CO allowed this conduct to continue, but I think they were afraid of being seen as anti-female or something. When I saw what she got relieved of, I knew immediately that it was all true. At the Navy ball one year, she bought up the seats at a table and had an all female friend table. Not that I care, but it seemed obvious to most of us that she tended to bat to that side of the plate. If she hadn't been such a bitch on wheels (her own description of herself) no one would have cared.

SailorDave
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Current News