A somewhat different take on diversity training

A somewhat different take on diversity training

Postby yoshi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Some have probably already seen this (probably those who frequent CDR Salamander), but I think it's good for thought/discussion. I think Harvard Business Review is probably legitimate enough to consider. After sitting through my share of training events, I personally agree with most of the article: the typical approach reinforces differences in the workplace (instead of minimizing them) and artificially compares categories of people in support of a narrative. Does your training support external advertising more than it provides internal value? External advertising is important for the Navy, but probably not as important as getting it right for the Sailors' benefit. To me, getting it right is ensuring Sailors are brought together, harmoniously focused on the mission without respect to race color, creed, religion, etc. Does our training promote division/separation? Can we find a better way to appreciate/celebrate the value of our diverse individuals without pointing out how they are different?

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2015/ ... qus_thread

yoshi
Experienced Member

Re: A somewhat different take on diversity training

Postby michelle8 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 am

Interesting, thanks!

michelle8
Registered Member

Return to Current News