Top NSA officials leaving spy agency

Re: Top NSA officials leaving spy agency

Postby arvizo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:29 am

Well, I can't justify the naming of FCC, but I still think the term cyber is described quite well by the definition of CNO.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 am

arvizo wrote:Well, I can't justify the naming of FCC, but I still think the term cyber is described quite well by the definition of CNO.

Not disagreeing with you there, Arvizo. But C10F does much, much more than that.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:40 am

jitter wrote:While I think we all agree VADM Rogers would do great things as the DIR. What would the impact be to 10th flt? Who do you think would be picked to replace him? How would the leadership styles differ? Just a thought. :cool:

Look for RADM Tighe as the Deputy with a Fleet up to VADM and relieving VADM Rogers. Just reading the tea leaves...

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:45 am

Arkad wrote:
Look for RADM Tighe as the Deputy with a Fleet up to VADM and relieving VADM Rogers. Just reading the tea leaves...

With the down grade of the C10F from O7 to O6, I am not so sure. i would bet on tight being the new IC TYCOM, once that actually ever comes to fruition. That or OPNAV N2N6F?

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby das » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 pm

This would be an interesting response, given that NSA is a DOD combat support agency, and given the current relationship with USCYBERCOM:

White House considers civilian for NSA chief

So if this were to happen, that would obviously mean VADM Rogers would not be the next DIRNSA...it would also likely need to coincide with a split of NSA and USCYBERCOM, because they can't have a civilian running a combatant command, whether subordinate to STRATCOM or freestanding. (So if all that comes to pass, perhaps Rogers would be the first commander of a separated USCYBERCOM?)

I "get" the notion of the need to "do something" in response to the controversy, but what does making DIRNSA a civilian do? Nothing.

das
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 pm

das wrote:This would be an interesting response, given that NSA is a DOD combat support agency, and given the current relationship with USCYBERCOM:

White House considers civilian for NSA chief

So if this were to happen, that would obviously mean VADM Rogers would not be the next DIRNSA...it would also likely need to coincide with a split of NSA and USCYBERCOM, because they can't have a civilian running a combatant command, whether subordinate to STRATCOM or freestanding. (So if all that comes to pass, perhaps Rogers would be the first commander of a separated USCYBERCOM?)

I "get" the notion of the need to "do something" in response to the controversy, but what does making DIRNSA a civilian do? Nothing.

Civilian = political appointee

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby das » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 pm

COMEVIL wrote:Civilian = political appointee

I.e., nothing.

(That said, it's not as if politics and politicians haven't had some influence on certain 4-star Flag and General Officer appointments...)

das
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:29 am

das wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:Civilian = political appointee

I.e., nothing.

I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. A political appointee would be much more of a wild card because it would be uncertain how close they would toe the "party line". A military officer in my opinion is much more likely to be non-partisan (or at least appear non-partisan) whereas a political appointee will cater to the boss.

A political appointee would arguably have more skin in the game. Conversely, what are you going to do to a 3 or 4 star? Retire him/her and make him/her go home?

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 am

Wait, there's more....

Senior Navy civilians investigated in alleged scheme to defraud military for $1.6 million

By Craig Whitlock, Published: November 12 E-mail the writer

Federal authorities are investigating three senior Navy intelligence officials as part of a probe into an alleged contracting scheme that charged the military $1.6 million for homemade firearm silencers that cost only $8,000 to manufacture, court records show.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... ml?hpid=z3

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby das » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 pm

U.S. nears decision to split leadership of NSA, Cyber Command: sources
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/ ... BG20131127

"As part of the emerging plan, the NSA likely would get a civilian director for the first time in its 61-year history, the individuals said."

[...]

"Since its inception in 1952, NSA has been led by a general or admiral, with a civilian deputy director.

Under the emerging plan, the director would be a civilian and the head of Cyber Command, which is a U.S. military command, would be a military officer.

Reuters reported last month that Vice Admiral Michael Rogers, commander of the U.S. Navy's 10th Fleet and the Navy's top cyberwarfare officer, was a leading candidate to be the next NSA director.

Rogers is now more likely to take over U.S. Cyber Command, individuals familiar with the matter said."

das
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Current News