Civilian USN Commissioning Instruction?

Civilian USN Commissioning Instruction?

Postby Sum1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I am very familiar with OPNAV 1420.1a concerning in-service accession opportunities, however, I've been unsuccessfully trying to find the specific OPNAV or documentation used by recruiters to process civilian applications. I'm a mod over at usnavyocs.com and had some questions that I've been trying to run down, and without being able to see those specific instructions I don't have much to base my response on.

To be more specific, I'm looking to see if in the civilian recruiter's instruction it specifically states that calc and physics are required to apply for IW and/or IP. 1420.1a only specifically requires those classes for the Nuke options, however, there is a lot of random, undocumented gouge flying around that I'm trying to trudge through. I'm going to continue searching... let me know if anyone has a quick link or knows the name of it off the top of your heads :) Thanks.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Going through the process....

Postby SHFtech » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm a civilian (although a veteran) who's going through the application process right now. My recuriter gave me the Program Authorization 101H as his standard for OCS indoc. and training of college graduates for AD IW accessions. It is dated July 2007. This is the current program authorization and section 3. Qualifications: c. Education (3) Min. Requirements does list one year of calc and one year of calc physiscs with a "C" average as a requirement.

HOWEVER, as IW_OCM (on this site) who is an IW Program Manager has stated in other threads, this requirement will be eliminated from the next Program Authorization (due out soon?).

Recruiters are still pushing through packages, successfully I've been told, without the calc./physiscs requirements. My recuriter specifically said it shouldn't be a problem for me (as I don't have calc/physics) because the board looks at the whole package to determine how well rounded the candidate is. I have a masters in IS and a lot of related corporate experience along with teaching college courses on IT/Security so he doesn't recommend I return to school just to meet the calc./physics requirements.

Sorry to add more gauge, but the gauge seems to be accurate in that the boards don't appear to be taking this section of the Program Authorization too seriously, although it won't hurt a candidate (I assume) if he/she is weaker in other areas.

SHFtech
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Yea, I was operating under the same policy, however, I was hoping for something in black and white to show recruiters who were still operating under the idea that calc and physics is 100% required to apply.

Thanks for the help. I'll look up that information.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby IW OCM » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 am

PA remains in the chop chain...nothing happens fast. We get applications pushed our way monthly that do not meet that section of the PA and have selected some of the same. Though calc and physics are desired, it is in no way required. If you run into a tough spot, feel free to have your recruiter give me a call (CDR Heritage...901-874-3123). Also, highly recommend a LOR from an IWO if you can swing it.

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Return to Paths to a Commission