no more JOApply for IDC?

no more JOApply for IDC?

Postby navy05 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I was informed that IW Officers cannot apply for billets via JOApply anymore. Was told IW is cracking down on folks not filling IW billets and will now have to go through a detailer-type system. Is there any truth to this? Sounds like Active Duty all over again. One of the selling points of affiliating in SELRES was that we can control our own destiny. I thought we could "choose" to make it to O-6 command OR just have a good time without regard for advancement and retire as an O-4.

A challenge is that IW locations are limited and a lot of JO Reservists may not reside in those locales. Is the community really forcing ppl to travel on thier own dime every month instead of allowing them to drill at thier local NOSC due to lack of 1815 billets?

navy05
Registered Member

Postby Arkad » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 pm

navy05 wrote:I was informed that IW Officers cannot apply for billets via JOApply anymore. Was told IW is cracking down on folks not filling IW billets and will now have to go through a detailer-type system. Is there any truth to this? Sounds like Active Duty all over again. One of the selling points of affiliating in SELRES was that we can control our own destiny. I thought we could "choose" to make it to O-6 command OR just have a good time without regard for advancement and retire as an O-4.

A challenge is that IW locations are limited and a lot of JO Reservists may not reside in those locales. Is the community really forcing ppl to travel on thier own dime every month instead of allowing them to drill at thier local NOSC due to lack of 1815 billets?

I certainly hope this is true. Was personally lobbying for this a few years back. Truth is 1815s are paid to be 1815s and do 1815 work wherever that is. Also, a relatively large percentage of 1815s were promoting as 1815s without doing the jobs necessary to grow their 1815 skills (i.e. developing senior officers/enlisted who were not developed to be competent 1815 Officers or CTXCs). If you'd rather do the work of another designator, I believe there is a process to change your designator. Developing a true Total Force means raising the bar and growing expertise, not accommodating the eaches only to realize a hollow force.

Can't speak to the travel on your own dime piece, but it seems to me we should drill where the work is (if we can't bring the work to you) vice drilling where its most convenient.

Arkad
Experienced Member

no more JOApply for IDC

Postby IW OCM » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 pm

@ navy05 - curious as to who provided you the info; below is what I received from the IDC RC OCM:

'IDC JO's (LCDR and below) to include IW officers must still apply for orders to a unit via the JO APPLY process. The IDC Region OICs are assigned as Program Managers for their respective IDC regions and continue to have responsibility over IDC units assigned to their regions in addition to embedded IDC billets in other units.

IDC Region OICs have the ability to recommend/not recommend officers for specific billets and may consult with current unit leadership as part of the process. As the JO APPLY process is a competitive process, it requires review/input from OICs (Program Managers) in addition to OSOs prior to being sent to CNRFC N122 for final approval/disapproval. Consequently, officers may not be selected for a particular billet within their community. Additionally, if an officer applies for a billet outside their community and a local community billet is available, it may be the basis for disapproval.

While there may not be local community billets available for JOs in all areas of the country, there are options to minimize the effects through cross assignment. Cross assignments are made between similar units and within specific programs to the greatest extent possible. Officers who reside outside of 3 hours or 100 miles drive time/distance (whichever is longer) and are unwilling to sign a Page 13 distance waiver should state "not willing to travel beyond reasonable commuting distance" in the comments section of JO APPLY to ensure they are not assigned a billet of this type. In these cases, if the officer would prefer to be cross-assigned, they should state this as well.

Ref. is RESPERS M-1001.5, Navy Reserve Personnel Manual (RESPERSMAN).'

Hope this helps. Recommend contact IDC RC OCMs (901 874 2976) with add'l questions.

V/r, IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby navy05 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:15 pm

@IW_OCM Thanks for the info. Good to hear JOApply is still applicable to IDC. I personally know of a couple IWs who recieved pushback b/c they applied for non 1815 billets. Not sure if going through Region OIC was official policy.

navy05
Registered Member

Return to Naval Reserve IW