Looking for cool AT opportunity this year

Looking for cool AT opportunity this year

Postby cyberwarrioreme » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:11 am

Senior Crippie LT tired of going back to same old AT Gaining Command watch floor every year.

What else is out there for about a 2-week AT other than working on a FIOC WO Qual? Seems like most of the AT/ADT opportunity sites are defunct...
  • 0

cyberwarrioreme
Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 am
Location: Lancaster, CA
Reputation: 0

GREAT QUESTION ON HOW WE EMPLOY OUR NR

Postby TASmith » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 am

cyberwarrioreme wrote:Senior Crippie LT tired of going back to same old AT Gaining Command watch floor every year.

What else is out there for about a 2-week AT other than working on a FIOC WO Qual? Seems like most of the AT/ADT opportunity sites are defunct...


Seems like we've been struggling with how we employ our NR NIOC Bretheren for some time. Why not get you guys underway in a SSES for a couple of weeks, even better if it were during a major exercise (C2X, JTFX, TF, etc.). What if the Navy actually used it's NR Crippies to do Naval Cryptology when Mob'd. As an AC IDWO Qual Program manager I struggled with qualifying you guys training to Naval IDC Fundamentals knowing you are not going to use a third of the knowledge while deployed to Afg or some other "IO Planning" mission.
  • 0

User avatar
TASmith
Registered Member
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Hawaii
Reputation: 1

Postby Sum1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you finish the FIOC WO qual other stuff may open up. Someone explained it to me once that if push came to shove the reservists could man the watchfloors while the active duty guys could get pushed out to ships/subs/planes to support the guys in the fleet that way.
  • 0

Sum1
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:43 am
Reputation: 15

Postby Arkad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 pm

This is what happens when we don't have a requirements based reserve structure and when we don't deliberately create operational interdependencies across the AC/RC. At the same time, we default to creating them in a mirror image of the AC rather than leverage their unique strengths (often a result of their civilian employment) and create a complementary model.

Love the thoughts behind this thread and would like to help elevate it to the right people. Are we using the RC to grow a capability or satisfy a requirement? We have yet to commit to one or the other and as we split the difference, we miss opportunities each and every day.
  • 0

User avatar
Arkad
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 2:07 am
Reputation: 21

Postby Sleeper » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I had heard rumors awhile back regarding a proposed increased RC role in cyber. The thought was to utilize the expertise of citizen-cybersoldiers who work in industry. Does anyone have fresh gouge on this?
  • 0

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:24 pm
Reputation: 4

Our RC role

Postby cyberwarrioreme » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 am

It gets defined and re-defined about once a year at an OPS Conference. RC IWOs (at least in Hawaii Region...West Coast) are aligned to FIOC HI or NSA HI (SWO Watch) to work toward qualifying on the watch. Most of the JOs that have worked toward WO Quals have made some progress on finishing it, but the year (or more) betweeen this immersion experience make it difficult to retain the level of knowledge from all those checkouts to actually be prepared to PASS a board (if one could get one scheduled during the last days of a post-JQR-complete 2 week AT). I was told that it was never a real goal to actually qualify and start standing the watch during ATs, but more of a concept created to get the RC JO a basic understanding of what major NIOCs/FIOCs do and how they coordinate with the rest of the IC and Fleet. It does do that. AT stands for Annual TRAINING, and most ATs people go on are mostly that, with some "give-back" with operational support / watchstanding. The balance between the Strategic Depth Reserve and the Operational one is more of a topic lately with the in-progress drawdowns. the 5 year dwell time to one year mobilized balance is also being questioned.

I deployed to Iraq (in an IO Planner requirement/billet) just as they came up with the FIOC WO alignment for my unit. So, my repeated ATs to FIOC HI were not interrupted by going on a year of Land-Based IO duty. But, all of my fellow JOs were mob'd duing their studies. They likely don't remember much of what they learned way back when, and will have a hard time getting back into it now that they are back from CENTCOM AOR. I'm the only one that actually finished the JQR, but I'm afraid that since I'll not likely get back there for a board prior to a 16 month absence, my knowledge level will be relatively low at that point. It's an Ensign/LTJG watch, and I'll likely make LCDR next spring, so how much "give-back" is there, even if I were to go and board this sping or summer? I think it will be better now that they will send ENSs there on their first AT out of DCO school. More time to work it, less deployment distractions...could work. Then follow the qual AT with a direct support ride. Then maybe another watchstanding AT the year after, then an excercise. RIMPAC? Cobra Gold? Something fun and challanging. Then, maybe the new quick and dirty 2-week JPME course before going up for LCDR.

That would be the world according to cyberwarrioreme. Thanks for the replies!
  • 0

cyberwarrioreme
Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 am
Location: Lancaster, CA
Reputation: 0

Postby webmaster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 pm

If you can swing orders for 21 days you're welcome to get underway with CSFTL. I can't speak for CSFTP but I can put you in contact with the right individual.
  • 0

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
User avatar
webmaster
Administrator
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am
Location: God's Country
Reputation: 51

Postby Arkad » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:00 am

In the absence of a requirement, everything is a good idea and nothing makes sense. The problem is the self-licking RC only model that is the status quo. A RC-centric conference to state requirements? Who is the customer in that? We spin circles doing little more than justify our own existence. To me, the answer is simple and we tried this a few years back. Force the AC to state a requirement (there was none). If there is no requirement, let's be fiscally responsible and stop our RC program. Personally, I believe there to be a very specific role for the RC. We access to it, we train to it, and we employ it. Challenge with that is most of the current RC does not have the KSAs or experiences to contribute to that specific role. Those who do are likely considered overly specialized and therefore not promotable. Sorry to sound so cynical, but we have to WANT to change, if we are to change. Too many of the decision makers benefit from the current model, so change must generate from the deck plate...how committed are today's RC JOs to changing things in such a way as to give them a fighting chance of a meaningful or even relevant career. Anyone interested can PM me and we'll come up with a plan of ACTION.
  • 0

User avatar
Arkad
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 2:07 am
Reputation: 21

Postby cyberwarrioreme » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 am

webmaster wrote:If you can swing orders for 21 days you're welcome to get underway with CSFTL. I can't speak for CSFTP but I can put you in contact with the right individual.

Sure. I'd go a long AT, if it were underway. Who's the POC?
  • 0

cyberwarrioreme
Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 am
Location: Lancaster, CA
Reputation: 0

Postby cyberwarrioreme » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 am

Arkad wrote:In the absence of a requirement, everything is a good idea and nothing makes sense. The problem is the self-licking RC only model that is the status quo. A RC-centric conference to state requirements? Who is the customer in that? We spin circles doing little more than justify our own existence. To me, the answer is simple and we tried this a few years back. Force the AC to state a requirement (there was none). If there is no requirement, let's be fiscally responsible and stop our RC program. Personally, I believe there to be a very specific role for the RC. We access to it, we train to it, and we employ it. Challenge with that is most of the current RC does not have the KSAs or experiences to contribute to that specific role. Those who do are likely considered overly specialized and therefore not promotable. Sorry to sound so cynical, but we have to WANT to change, if we are to change. Too many of the decision makers benefit from the current model, so change must generate from the deck plate...how committed are today's RC JOs to changing things in such a way as to give them a fighting chance of a meaningful or even relevant career. Anyone interested can PM me and we'll come up with a plan of ACTION.

The AC NIOC CO of our Gaining Command sat in during the last OPS Conf. AC Division Officers sat in at a previous one I attended at Kunia. The now are on track to qualify (or train us) as FIOC WOs AND to get the same IDWO pin they get. I've already got my IDWO pin (grandfathered after taking the NKO course and having finished my 1645 to 1615 conversion training -- typically used to take a Reserve Officer 4 years picking away at it, part time.) The KSAs are in these qual programs JQRs, so they're defined (now). It's just a matter of whether the plan is to have us backfill at the FIOC WO desk while AC JOs go further forward (in the event of a Full Mob of the Reserves -- or a major regional issue requiring a nearly full mobilization). Our proficiency wouldn't be equal to the AC Watch Officers that do it every day (after such long absences from Kunia); but, we come up to speed pretty fast once mobilized. It's more of a strategic depth thing, than an operational support thing (like just allowing more flexibility for AC leave during our ATs, for example).
  • 0

cyberwarrioreme
Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 am
Location: Lancaster, CA
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to Naval Reserve IW

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron