Looking for cool AT opportunity this year

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 pm

cyberwarrioreme wrote:Sure. I'd go a long AT, if it were underway. Who's the POC?

For CSFTL it's me. For CSFTP it's LCDR Ishikawa. PM me if you want further contact information and details.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby CNO Guy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 pm

The current reserve model works only because we allow it be continually justified by a, "that's how it has always worked" mentality.

True operational proficiency will not and cannot be gained through short AT periods. Having worked with several reservists in the past there have been a few success stories, and almost all of them occured when the individual was doing something very similar while in uniform to what they do otherwise. All other cases end up taking more time out of the active member's day to keep the reserve individual "busy" and that "busy" doesn't always equal productive. Why do we try to build reservists into a model that mirrors the active side for training and qualifications when they are not expected to perform the same duties; instead we should be leveraging the reservists specialized skills that they gain elswhere to the benefit of the Navy otherwise training is all that will be accomplished?

The requirement has yet to be truly defined or realized for the IWO reserve community in such a way that allows the reservists to be aligned to a true purpose, proficient, and productive. This is no ding on the reservists, but rather the active side who has to state the requirement that the reservists mold themselves into. Reservists who shop around for an opportunity have the concept backwards...if there is no requirement there should be no opportunity.

I'm off the soapbox now, I believe there are valid requirments for reservists, but they are yet to be defined. The reservists have a lot of talent, but it has not be leveraged to date on any scale other than a few cases.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Just thinking out loud...

If the model should be to move away from an active duty-style of training (which I agree with) and towards a mission-tailored training curriculum complimenting the reservist's civilian skill sets and directly aligned with a stated reserve requirement, we have a lot of work to do. I think the key would be determining the requirements first, and then identifying civilian skill sets we feel would best align or support those requirements. I would argue that could probably be done transparent (or at least translucent) to rank requirements. A reservist E6 who also happens to be a crack computer programmer could fill multiple requirements - no reason for us to limit our ability to match the best person to the requirement by adding an artificial constraint. Once we identify those skill sets, the hard part would be collecting, documenting, and finding a way to organize those skills within our reserve workforce. If they're not present, we recruit them, and if we have an abundance of folks who don't fit any requirement maybe we have to make some tough choices or incentivize transfers into reserve communities that DO require those skills.

Okay, end of random thinking out loud.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Also just thinking out loud, but what if reservists were a large force in the training commands? Then you would have a large rotational force that would keep the curriculum (sp?) fresh while simultaneously injecting industry practices in how things are done.

Not sure how viable that would be, so I defer to the audience

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 pm

I like that idea... the reservist could propose course changes during their 2 week active training stint, and then a year later see if it had been approved yet! (*duck*)

But seriously, I think that's a good idea, particularly in the more technical areas of our job that tends to erode during long stints at sea or focused on customer service/training.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Reserve IWO mobs

Postby navy05 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 am

Any fellow SELRES out theree have experience with Reserve IW involuntary mobilizations? I'm a 1815 LT drilling with a non-IDC unit. My two year deferrment from involuntary recall is expiring very soon so I'm deciding if the SELRES is worth sticking around. As much as I really enjoy the Reserves, my civilian job would greatly suffer if I were to get recalled. Somebody told me the IDC maintains thier own RMP list so not sure how recalls work in our community. Would appreciate some insight from anybody drilling with a NR NIOC that's in the know. Thanks:confused:

navy05
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:05 pm

So you only want to stick around if you never get recalled? What's the Navy getting out of keeping you around then?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Sum1 wrote:So you only want to stick around if you never get recalled? What's the Navy getting out of keeping you around then?

He didn't say he's avoiding mobilization, he's just doing a cost/benefit analysis.

navy05: I read somewhere that 99% of IW reserve mobilizations are filled by volunteers. I think it was one of these briefs (I'll let you do the clicking):
http://usncra.org/documents.asp

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Naval Reserve IW