IW or Intel?

IW or Intel?

Postby bkbk » Thu May 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello,

I'm a DoD employee who is considering applying for a USNR commission. I am:

- an instructor at DLI, teaching one of the mission-critical languages.
- non prior-service.
- a doctoral student in leadership and policy, M.Ed. in English and B.A. in international studies.
- comfortable with computers (minored in management information systems), but do not possess programming skills.
- currently living/working at Offutt AFB, where STRATCOM is located.

Given this background, which career field would say is a better fit for me, IW or INTEL?

Also, what is the current ops tempo (deployment schedule) for reserve IWOs like? I was told that IWOs with language skills have a better chance of using their language than Intel officers, that most Intel officers are deployed to IRQ or AFG regardless of their language, so I would like to confirm this.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

bkbk
Registered Member

Postby arvizo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:06 pm

I don't know any IWOs who have used their language skills. However, if you're deployed somewhere and fluent in the local language, you're skills will be utilized even if you're a seaman recruit Yeoman. I wish I had been fluent in Arabic when I was an IW in Iraq. The Intel officer sitting next to me during that deployment also wished he spoke Arabic.

I believe most officers in IW or Intel are going to Afghanistan vice Iraq these days.

FAO sounds like a great fit for you, but they don't take many below O-4 and I have no idea if they have reservists.

Based on your background, it sounds like Intel is closer. Intel would be better if you want to pursue international studies and IW would be better if you prefer to take a more technical route.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby bkbk » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Arvizo,

Thank you for your prompt response. I just wonder if I am selected as an IWO based on my language skills, not computer skills, is there a fairly good chance that I would be utilized mainly for my language skills and deployed to the region where the target language is spoken.

Also, what is the deployment schedule like for IWOs? I was told that they deploy less frequently in general than Intel officers do. Is this true?

Thank you.

arvizo wrote:I don't know any IWOs who have used their language skills. However, if you're deployed somewhere and fluent in the local language, you're skills will be utilized even if you're a seaman recruit Yeoman. I wish I had been fluent in Arabic when I was an IW in Iraq. The Intel officer sitting next to me during that deployment also wished he spoke Arabic.

I believe most officers in IW or Intel are going to Afghanistan vice Iraq these days.

FAO sounds like a great fit for you, but they don't take many below O-4 and I have no idea if they have reservists.

Based on your background, it sounds like Intel is closer. Intel would be better if you want to pursue international studies and IW would be better if you prefer to take a more technical route.

bkbk
Registered Member

Postby Wolfpack » Fri May 06, 2011 12:38 am

"I was told that they deploy less frequently in general than Intel officers do. Is this true?"

If your desire is not to deploy, than I would suggest that you pls take a long look at what you are planning on and why you are thinking about joining the military while involved in operations in Afghanistan and Iraq (yep, we are still there). He also have folks deploying to GTMO and other places around the world.

I would advise that if your intent is not to deploy, you either wait about 2 years or look at the other services. IW or Intel, we are all high demand, low density skill sets, all of which are in demand world wide.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby bkbk » Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 am

Hold your horses. I was trying to confirm what I heard about the IWO deployment schedule, not imply that I don't want to deploy.

Wolfpack wrote:"I was told that they deploy less frequently in general than Intel officers do. Is this true?"

If your desire is not to deploy, than I would suggest that you pls take a long look at what you are planning on and why you are thinking about joining the military while involved in operations in Afghanistan and Iraq (yep, we are still there). He also have folks deploying to GTMO and other places around the world.

I would advise that if your intent is not to deploy, you either wait about 2 years or look at the other services. IW or Intel, we are all high demand, low density skill sets, all of which are in demand world wide.

bkbk
Registered Member

IW or Intel

Postby IW OCM » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 am

@bkbk

Thanks for your interest in the Information Dominance Corps. Feel free to call us at 901-874-3123 and we can try to address some of your questions, or put you in touch with folks who can. Here's a link with POC:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/reserve/selres/Pages/RC%20(IDC).aspx

Strictly speaking there is no "IWO Deployment Schedule" - the extent to which you deploy depends on the particular billet that you are filling. It's also not necessarily useful to compare the tempo of IW versus Intel, since deployment in the Intel Community also depends on your particular billet.

The IW Community is operations intensive, and there is certainly the potential to "go to sea" (i.e. On, Above, Below, Boots on Ground) in every paygrade.

Your tempo as a Reservist would also differ from that of the Active Component, and is dependent on the needs of the Navy. Opportunities for Reserve Recall (either Definite or Indefinite) within the IDC are small and getting smaller due to fiscal pressures on the Accession Plan.

Hope that helps.

V/r,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby bkbk » Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 am

IW OCM,

Thank you very much for the information. I will call the number you gave me.

IW OCM wrote:@bkbk

Thanks for your interest in the Information Dominance Corps. Feel free to call us at 901-874-3123 and we can try to address some of your questions, or put you in touch with folks who can. Here's a link with POC:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/reserve/selres/Pages/RC%20(IDC).aspx

Strictly speaking there is no "IWO Deployment Schedule" - the extent to which you deploy depends on the particular billet that you are filling. It's also not necessarily useful to compare the tempo of IW versus Intel, since deployment in the Intel Community also depends on your particular billet.

The IW Community is operations intensive, and there is certainly the potential to "go to sea" (i.e. On, Above, Below, Boots on Ground) in every paygrade.

Your tempo as a Reservist would also differ from that of the Active Component, and is dependent on the needs of the Navy. Opportunities for Reserve Recall (either Definite or Indefinite) within the IDC are small and getting smaller due to fiscal pressures on the Accession Plan.

Hope that helps.

V/r,

IW OCM

bkbk
Registered Member

Postby jitter » Fri May 06, 2011 3:54 pm

What about an active duty commission? :)

jitter
Experienced Member

Return to Naval Reserve IW