Lat Trsfr from Supply Corps?

Lat Trsfr from Supply Corps?

Postby P-3 FO » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:26 am

Looking for any advice here... I am a reserve junior O-4, 3105, looking to possibly apply for lateral transfer into IW (or IO). In my civilian job, I run an internet technology company with a cyberfraud focus.

Anyone know what the opportunities are (or are not) for such a thing?

P-3 FO
Registered Member

er...

Postby P-3 FO » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:32 am

... meant IP (not "IO") in post above...

P-3 FO
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:52 am

IP is a good choice. Seems to match your civilian career and they have promoted tremendously well to O5. I would stay well away from IW at this point in time. We're experiencing the fallout of a continual identity crisis, the future is very unclear, and the promotion trend is not good (~70% to O4, and O5 is down as well). The IW job is great, but the opportunity for talent to benefit commensurate with their contributions is simply not there at this time.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm

yoshi wrote:IP is a good choice. Seems to match your civilian career and they have promoted tremendously well to O5. I would stay well away from IW at this point in time. We're experiencing the fallout of a continual identity crisis, the future is very unclear, and the promotion trend is not good (~70% to O4, and O5 is down as well). The IW job is great, but the opportunity for talent to benefit commensurate with their contributions is simply not there at this time.

That's kind of grim the way you put it there Yoshi. I wouldn't say don't come into the community I would just do the research. It's really about what is important to you as to which community is best fit. Reserves are also a whole different animal when it comes to numbers.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby VQ Bubba » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Question WRT your user name...were you a straight-stick P-3 NFO or a sainted, benevolent EP-3 NFO warrior-diety?

You can kind of guess from which community I re-designated.

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

re: P-3s

Postby P-3 FO » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey VQ Bubba, LOL :D

I was a PATRON guy. I was an O-SAM, a thing that doesn't exist anymore: straight to a reserve squadron after the RAG. No opportunity for EP-3s in NAVAIRRES at that time (or now, I think ... but don't know for sure). Anyway, I enjoyed it, but then the reserve wing VP community was decimated, many NFO billets were cut, and I got out for a couple of years.

Thought I was done with the Navy, but a buddy in b-school was a reserve chop, and he convinced me to go 3105. Not a bad community at all for the reserves, but kicking boxes doesn't line up well with my CIV career. Thus the interest in the IP/IW world.

P-3 FO
Registered Member

Lat Trsf from Supply Corps?

Postby IW OCM » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 am

P-3 FO wrote:Looking for any advice here... I am a reserve junior O-4, 3105, looking to possibly apply for lateral transfer into IW (or IO). In my civilian job, I run an internet technology company with a cyberfraud focus.

Anyone know what the opportunities are (or are not) for such a thing?

P-3 FO,

Thanks for your interest in the Information Dominance Corps. Below is a link pertaining to change of designator procedures:

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/CAREER/RESERVEPERSONNELMGMT/OFFICERS/Pages/COD.aspx

If you haven't already, recommend you contact the Reserve IDC OCMs to discuss opportunities. They can be found here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/OFFICER/COMMUNITYMANAGERS/RESERVE/SELRES/Pages/RC%20(IDC).aspx

Reserve recall quotas (definite or indefinite) are getting hard to come by, but there are ADSW opportunities from time to time.
These folks can help direct your queries so that you can make an informed decision. I hope this is helpful.

V/r,

IW OCM

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 pm

webmaster wrote:That's kind of grim the way you put it there

I'm not not able to arrive at an alternative conclusion. Maybe I dont' see the entire vision forward, as I'm focused on the actions of the present. I haven't encountered any logical explanations which reasonably explain something different. Making the force older and slimmer in each rank doesn't match with what we are being told about the "high demand for our services". If we are in demand and such an integral part of going forward, we will obviously rebound and our numbers will increase to meet the purported demand signal. Time will ultimately tell. Right now, the Navy is saying it needs to add mid-level officers from other communitites at a greater than IW officers. Why shouldn't the other communities be considered ahead of this one, particularly if cross-detailing allows de facto entry into this one anyway?

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Arkad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:21 am

yoshi wrote:I'm not not able to arrive at an alternative conclusion. Maybe I dont' see the entire vision forward, as I'm focused on the actions of the present. I haven't encountered any logical explanations which reasonably explain something different. Making the force older and slimmer in each rank doesn't match with what we are being told about the "high demand for our services". If we are in demand and such an integral part of going forward, we will obviously rebound and our numbers will increase to meet the purported demand signal. Time will ultimately tell. Right now, the Navy is saying it needs to add mid-level officers from other communitites at a greater than IW officers. Why shouldn't the other communities be considered ahead of this one, particularly if cross-detailing allows de facto entry into this one anyway?

Yoshi - Please do your homework before sharing your opinions. You are merely perpetuating misperceptions causing even less informed people to believe them as fact. You lose credibility with each and every post and serve as a great example for what is wrong with our culture. Please pick up the phone and talk with your peers/mentors. We have more than our share of issues, so please be a champion and take ownership instead of repeatedly finding fault with others.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby deadlymonkey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Supply has some of the best PCS locations. As an IW I wish I could get stationed in Singapore like Suppos can. lol

deadlymonkey
Registered Member

Next

Return to Naval Reserve IW