What are RC IWOs doing for MOBs these days? One answer...

What are RC IWOs doing for MOBs these days? One answer...

Postby das » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:17 pm

So, a lot of RC IWOs have been asking this question, and I have a personal example, which is amusing in light of Sum1's recent question about being assigned a traditional IO billet given the fact that VADM Rogers has said several times in no uncertain terms that "we don't do IO" (while acknowledging we do the "CNO" (OCO/DCO/DGO) piece as a core skill, and that we certainly do have SMEs in the various IO pillars).

As many of you are aware, the AC manages the IWO and IDWO qualification process for the RC. This results in a training pipeline focused on the traditional NIOC/FIOC, CRC, DIWC, SSES DIVO, etc., activities. However, the irony is that of the 4 RC IWOs I have known that have been MOBed in the last few years to Iraq or Afghanistan, all have gone as "IO Planners", generally doing nothing related to SIGINT, cyber, or our core skills.

Add me to the pool! I just received notification that I am MOBing to Afghanistan as an IO Planner supporting NSW...so it can and does happen for IWO JOs, and can happen a short time after qualifying IWO/IDWO to boot. According to USFF, this is the first request they have had to source an IA 1815 in over a year. If others here have experience with this and/or AFG as an IWO, I would appreciate any advice. (PM or email is fine also.)

Thanks in advance!

das
Experienced Member

Re: What are RC IWOs doing for MOBs these days? One answer..

Postby Sum1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Did you volunteer or just get tasked? Doesn't really have anything to do with what you're asking, I think, but I'm curious if they still do that kind of thing (no or short notice tasking).

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby das » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:16 am

I got tasked with 3 months notice (apparently the minimum).

das
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:28 am

Damn, I thought there were so many people willing to volunteer that short notice taskings were a thing of the past.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby kjschmidt » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:05 pm

As I learned this past drill weekend during our QIV, there is no minimum notification time. IDCRC tries for 180 days notification, but this is a goal and not a rule. You can be notified within 30 days (or less) of a MOB.

kjschmidt
Registered Member

Postby bubblehead » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 am

Das, what Admirals say and what actually happens are different things. I thought that I have mentioned this to you in the past.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Return to Naval Reserve IW