Reserve To Active

Reserve To Active

Postby Messiah62 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:49 am

Has anyone tried to transfer from the reserves to active duty? In the Air Force that is possible. Not sure if that opportunity exists in the Navy.

Thanks
Kasey

Messiah62
Registered Member

Re: Reserve To Active

Postby O-4's hate me » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:30 am

I've heard of ONE in the last seven years. That's not to say that I track it, but it isn't common.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby Tommy Boy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 am

There is potential for enlisted personnel to make the transition. Check out the details on the RC to AC program, which is open to certain rates. On the officer side it is a lot harder and the OCM might be able to shed some light on the conversation.
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=69401

Tommy Boy
Experienced Member

Postby kjschmidt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:58 pm

It's possible for reserve IWs to go active. We had a LT in our unit get permanently recalled to active duty last year. He is now PCS afloat. But he was 1 of 20+ applicants who got selected. And his background was impressive: AC CTI for 6 years, got out, became a DoN linguist at a NIOC, went reserve, made chief, went DCO, etc. I just got back from IWBC in July and the department head there was a reserve DCO who got recalled to perm active duty. But his background was similar to the LT from my unit. So what I have been able to learn is that it's possible, you might see one per year or two and if you don't have the background and skills the Navy needs right then and now, then it's going to be hard. But the OCM will be able to set you straight.

kjschmidt
Registered Member

Return to Naval Reserve IW