March 18 2013 IW Selection Board Results out?

March 18 2013 IW Selection Board Results out?

Postby clutzer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 am

Hey all,

I had a package submitted for the March 18, 2013 IW selection board. My recruiter got deployed and my case was handed off to someone else. I haven't heard anything yet, and am unable to get a call-back from my new recruiter. I'm getting a bad feeling, but was wondering if others have heard the news from the March 18 board? I see another post in this forum on March 24 saying a person was selected--I suppose that's my answer, but since I'm NPS, I was wondering if it perhaps takes longer for some areas to get notified than others? I'm in the Las Vegas, NV area.

Thanks everyone!

Christiaan.

clutzer
Registered Member

Re: March 18 2013 IW Selection Board Results out?

Postby clutzer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, I found out I was non-select today. Sucks. But they warned me about that in the interview: it's a highly competitive field and that if you don't succeed at first, try again. However, I got a different opinion from my new Sr. Chief recruiter that said it sounded strange they would said "try again".

Anyway, are there any others out there that took a second try to get into IDC? I really want this and have been after it for a number of years now, but I also don't want to be oblivious to a hint if it's being sent my way.

Any comments, feedback, suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

clutzer
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Selections now more than ever are a numbers game. They say try again because you are qualified but they are probably quota limited. There is no way to know who you were competing against and their qualifications. If it's something you want to do, then work on your qualifications and try again.

webmaster
Administrator

Postby arvizo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm

clutzer wrote:Well, I found out I was non-select today. Sucks. But they warned me about that in the interview: it's a highly competitive field and that if you don't succeed at first, try again. However, I got a different opinion from my new Sr. Chief recruiter that said it sounded strange they would said "try again".

Anyway, are there any others out there that took a second try to get into IDC? I really want this and have been after it for a number of years now, but I also don't want to be oblivious to a hint if it's being sent my way.

Any comments, feedback, suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

The number of people they select next year could be more than they selected this year. Since you don't know how many they will select each year, it's worth a shot to try again next year.

arvizo
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 pm

I was not picked until my 3rd time applying. The main thing I did was get promoted in the Air National Guard and get further along in my masters program. I was selected during the March 2013 board.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby bubblehead » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 pm

clutzer wrote:Hey all,

I had a package submitted for the March 18, 2013 IW selection board. My recruiter got deployed and my case was handed off to someone else. I haven't heard anything yet, and am unable to get a call-back from my new recruiter. I'm getting a bad feeling, but was wondering if others have heard the news from the March 18 board? I see another post in this forum on March 24 saying a person was selected--I suppose that's my answer, but since I'm NPS, I was wondering if it perhaps takes longer for some areas to get notified than others? I'm in the Las Vegas, NV area.

Thanks everyone!

Christiaan.

Selecting for IP or for IW via DCO is extremely difficult for the only reason that there are a very, very limited number of DCO quotas for these designators. Compounding this is the fact that just about every Reserve CT is applying for IW and every civilian "IT guy" is applying for IP. Because of these, they have to choose the most competitive out of this pool.

If you want to be an IW then consider INTEL officer first. Once you are a fully-qualified INTEL officer (read: 9600 NOBC), you can submit a package for a change of designator. Unlike on active duty, Reserve change of designator packages are reviewed as they are received. Also, what makes you competitive for DCO will have nothing to do with a change of designator because you are not competing when you change your designator. PERS looks at you to see if you are administratively qualified (i.e., clearance, qualified in your current designator), as well as to gauge your potential for success in your new designator. Moving from one IDC designator to another IDC designator is looked upon favorably, because it will make you a better officer.

I was an INTEL officer and recently changed my designator to IP officer. From the time I submitted my package until the time I received my "approval" letter was about a month. I could have applied earlier, when I earned my 9600 NOBC, however, I waited until after I completed my INTEL and IDWO PQS and passed my INTEL/IDWO board, thus earning my IDWO "pin".

If you decide upon this route, I would recommend keeping it to yourself and focusing on being the best INTEL officer you can be, until such time that you can submit your package. I would also complete your INTEL/IDWO PQS and earn your IDWO pin. These are two less things you will have to worry about in your new community. It also makes you look better when you submit your change of designator package.

I was considering moving to IW because I wanted to go back to submarines (I am a prior enlisted submariner) as a DSO. However, after speaking to each of the Reserve community managers (O6's) for IW and IP, I chose the IP community. Better fit for me and better opportunities in terms of dollars, as well as mobilization support.

Let me dig out my notes from my conversations with the community managers and I will post it. The more informed you are the better.

Remember: "There are more ways than one to skin a cat"

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:35 pm

bubblehead wrote:I was considering moving to IW because I wanted to go back to submarines (I am a prior enlisted submariner) as a DSO. However, after speaking to each of the Reserve community managers (O6's) for IW and IP, I chose the IP community. Better fit for me and better opportunities in terms of dollars, as well as mobilization support.

Bubblehead,
I am going to be a reserve IWO now, and I am interested in getting on submarines. Are there a lot of opportunities for IW's to get on subs?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby bubblehead » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Messiah62 wrote:I am going to be a reserve IWO now, and I am interested in getting on submarines. Are there a lot of opportunities for IW's to get on subs?

You won't have any opportunities for at least THREE years, which is about the length of your training pipeline. All of your AT's for the first three years will be used on your qualifications. There is no "Reserve version" of IW training/qualification. That is, you qualify in the exact same manner as an Active Duty IW. The benefit of this training process is that are no differences (as it was explained to me) between Reserve and Active Duty IW's because you are all trained and qualified in the same way.

The Reserve O6 IW Community Manager that I spoke with knew of ONE person who was able to make the DSO/submarine thingy work. The process is not formalized and if I remember correctly, the person who was able to make it work was going to try to standardize the process.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:03 am

Well I should have lots of time to work towards that. I am 23 years old with 5 years of military experience (Air National Guard). I have a long Navy career ahead of me now.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Return to Naval Reserve IW