Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Re: Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Postby bubblehead » Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 am

Messiah62 wrote:I was commissioned this week and my first drill will be in June.

Congrats and welcome to the wardroom. The best advice that I can give you, especially coming from the ANG, is to be patient (I have two friends who did Green to Blue).

Your success in the Navy Reserve is dependent on your ability to navigate the Navy's administrative labyrinth. Some references that will help you in this endeavor:

RESPER M-1001.5 - Navy Reserve Personnel Manual
BUPERSINST 1610.10C - Navy Performance Evaluation System
SECNAV M-5216.5 - Correspondence Manual

Messiah62 wrote:Have any reserve officers had opportunities to go overseas to Europe or Japan for an extended amount of time (1 year+)?

There are opportunities, however, as an IW, your first three years are devoted to training and to getting qualified.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 pm

bubblehead wrote:
Messiah62 wrote:I was commissioned this week and my first drill will be in June.

Congrats and welcome to the wardroom. The best advice that I can give you, especially coming from the ANG, is to be patient (I have two friends who did Green to Blue).

Your success in the Navy Reserve is dependent on your ability to navigate the Navy's administrative labyrinth. Some references that will help you in this endeavor:

RESPER M-1001.5 - Navy Reserve Personnel Manual
BUPERSINST 1610.10C - Navy Performance Evaluation System
SECNAV M-5216.5 - Correspondence Manual

Messiah62 wrote:Have any reserve officers had opportunities to go overseas to Europe or Japan for an extended amount of time (1 year+)?

There are opportunities, however, as an IW, your first three years are devoted to training and to getting qualified.

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at those documents.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 am

bubblehead wrote:There are opportunities, however, as an IW, your first three years are devoted to training and to getting qualified.

...and most of this will be done on your own, even when you're at an NR NIOC, and especially if you're at STRATCOM.

Your first two years' worth of ATs are pretty much spoken for, and plan on IWBC, which is 8 weeks, sometime in the first two years. Your first order of business will be getting qualified as an IWO and then IDWO before you start looking for "cool" sets of orders. Additionally (and there are exceptions to everything), most of the orders you'll be interested in will probably be for at least O-3. So enjoy your time as an ENS and LTJG and feel free to reach out to me sometime on the qual process. You will at some point need to have an arrangement with, and go on orders to, one of the Big Four NIOCs (the way things are presently set up, anyway) to complete your quals. I'm not aware of any reserve IW JOs who are NOT drilling at NR NIOC units, so if you're just going to drill someplace close because it's convenient, I think there may be some challenges, unless there are things going on there I'm not aware of.

das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:51 pm

das wrote:
bubblehead wrote:There are opportunities, however, as an IW, your first three years are devoted to training and to getting qualified.

...and most of this will be done on your own, even when you're at an NR NIOC, and especially if you're at STRATCOM.

Your first two years' worth of ATs are pretty much spoken for, and plan on IWBC, which is 8 weeks, sometime in the first two years. Your first order of business will be getting qualified as an IWO and then IDWO before you start looking for "cool" sets of orders. Additionally (and there are exceptions to everything), most of the orders you'll be interested in will probably be for at least O-3. So enjoy your time as an ENS and LTJG and feel free to reach out to me sometime on the qual process. You will at some point need to have an arrangement with, and go on orders to, one of the Big Four NIOCs (the way things are presently set up, anyway) to complete your quals. I'm not aware of any reserve IW JOs who are NOT drilling at NR NIOC units, so if you're just going to drill someplace close because it's convenient, I think there may be some challenges, unless there are things going on there I'm not aware of.

There are several reserve IW JOs here at STRAT. I plan on going to DCO the first class that I can (October or later) and then directly to IWBC if possible.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 pm

So I had my first drill this weekend. I will be assigned to a NIOC for the NSA. I was at INDOC most of the time but on Sunday afternoon I was able to meet my unit. Just to verify that I printed off all of the correct PQS books, I need the IWO and IDWO one right?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Messiah62 wrote:So I had my first drill this weekend. I will be assigned to a NIOC for the NSA. I was at INDOC most of the time but on Sunday afternoon I was able to meet my unit. Just to verify that I printed off all of the correct PQS books, I need the IWO and IDWO one right?

Yep, you need both...and new versions of both are coming out (IWO first), but use the current ones there for now. Good advice is to talk to people...you'll learn a lot. But first, you'll have DCOIC, IWBC, and then CIDCRC will fund 3-month ADT orders for IWO completion (and you can usually knock out IDWO at the same time). As an IW Officer your active duty supported command (NIOC MD) will be the ultimate qualifying authority for both.

das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 pm

I will be going to DCOIC in late October and hopefully IWBC directly after that. I don't know if I will be able to take an additional 3 months off from work. I would have to talk to my company. Is a lot of the information in the PQS covered at IWBC? I was going to try to get some of them signed off before I go to IWBC since I have a couple months.

Is there an IW pin and an IDWO pin?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Generally speaking, nearly the entire IWO PQS is covered at IWBC. The challenge is that you can't just turn around and board after that, because each of the Big 4 NIOCs currently has control over their own qualification processes. Part of the difficulty lies in the fact that a large part of the PQS is classified, and therefore must be conducted and studied in a SCIF. What usually ends up happening is that you'll go to IWBC in your second year, and then sometime in the next year or so after that you'll complete your quals and board(s) with your AC NIOC. Now, I'm sure that there are many exceptions to this, but so far, every single IW reservist I have dealt with is completing the process at one of the Big 4 NIOCS: MD, TX, GA, or HI.

There is one warfare device for all IDC communities: Information Dominance Warfare Officer. However, a prerequisite is qualifying in your own community. So as an IW Officer, that means once you are qualified as an IWO, then you can also qualify and board for IDWO. Once that is complete, you get your pin. As a reservist, you have 3 years to complete IWO and 5 years to complete IDWO. Planning ahead is a (very) good thing, but realistically, your first year or so is going to be spent getting spun up in the Navy Reserve and with your unit, unless you have some more time you could devote. E.g., perhaps you could arrange another 2 or more weeks somewhere after you're done with DCOIC to get your quals started.

The key with the quals as a reservist is really making the best use of your time. Since CIDCRC is fully funding "core skills" training for IDC reservists, which includes the IWO qual in our context, it makes it easier not having to fight for funding. In my case, I still did what amounted to about 3 months of work after IWBC as a part of this process (half traveling to a local SCIF and also working on IDWO, and the other half on orders). The most recent reservist to qualify that I am aware of took about 4.5 months (not counting IWBC, etc.) Just make sure you hook yourself up with a good mentor — and make sure it is someone familiar with the real commitments that you'll face as a reservist trying to get qualified.

Many of our seniors either were previously active duty and/or have been qualified as IWO for many years, and then took a 30-question quiz on NKO to get their IDWO pin. I have no issue with grandfathering like that (some do; that is a different discussion), but what it means is that many of them simply "assume" everything is going to "work out" when it comes to JOs qualifying. Things won't "work out" unless you MAKE them work out. I have witnessed IW reservists drop to the IRR after three years because of things not "working out", usually because of not realizing that you will have about 5-6 months of active duty for training in years two and three. (What kind of ROI is that for the Navy, given how selective we are and how few new accessions we get each FY?) Mobilization is one thing; extended AD for "training" is another.

I'm not saying any of this to scare you — it's an exciting time to be in our community! But I am just telling you so you can be prepared to navigate the process, and things may change by the time you get to that point. A new IWO PQS is about to be released, and after that a new IDWO PQS will be coming as well. Some of the line items may transfer, others may not, others will be completely new, and still others will be eliminated. So all that said, right now I would say starting to familiarize yourself with the material is a good thing, but focus more on being a new Naval Officer, and keeping up on IDC-related news. (See http://IDCsync.org for a lot of documents and resources, and things like https://facebook.com/IDCsync for IDC-related news.) Talk to others going through the process; ask them how they did it. And most of all, have fun!

das
Experienced Member

Postby fieldrat » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:37 am

I was recently selected for 1815 - Information Warfare as a fiscal year 2016 pick up. I'm still waiting on COMDOCS and have yet to swear in. However, I'm trying to do as much prep as possible in order to have things lined up to make the initial training process as smooth as possible. Can I PM one of the more senior members to get some answers specific to my situation?

fieldrat
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:56 am

fieldrat wrote:I was recently selected for 1815 - Information Warfare as a fiscal year 2016 pick up. I'm still waiting on COMDOCS and have yet to swear in. However, I'm trying to do as much prep as possible in order to have things lined up to make the initial training process as smooth as possible. Can I PM one of the more senior members to get some answers specific to my situation?

Congrats! PM me and I'll help or put you in touch with someone who can.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Naval Reserve IW