Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Postby Messiah62 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:21 am

Whats the rule with the NWU boots? Coming from the air force, the rough out boot would be nice as it doesn't require me to polish it. I read the regulation and it says that the rough out boot is for shore only... As a Reserve IW officer it sounds like my first 4 years are going to be all shore duty. Any reason for me not to buy the rough out?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 pm

There is actually some new guidance for NWU boots:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13084.txt

See paragraph 5.C. and 6.D.

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:48 am

Can't we just forget our silly Army-wannabe blousing and keep our comfortable, well-worn shipboard safety boots?

I have a pair with the toes scraped down to steel from Wog festivities. That's a broken-in boot.

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
Sleeper
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am

What is the process for transferring units in the Navy Reserves? I am looking at moving to the Tampa, FL area in the future. Is moving an issue?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm

It's pretty straightforward...just let your chain know and reach out to the leadership at the new unit. You will be in In Assignment Processing (IAP) status until you are qualified, which will probably be about 3 years. Once you are out of IAP status, you need to use a tool called JOAPPLY (APPLY for JOs) to apply for a billet. Given that as a JO you will likely be drilling at the closest practical site to your residence, even if billets aren't available there are always things that can be done to allow you to drill at a local unit. When you get to be a mid to senior LT and definitely as you progress, you will want to drill with other units in other regions to get additional exposure.

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Re:

Postby bubblehead » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Messiah62 wrote:What is the process for transferring units in the Navy Reserves? I am looking at moving to the Tampa, FL area in the future. Is moving an issue?

The Reserve has shifted to a "drive your own ship" model for JO billets. That is, if you do not choose your billet(s) in JOAPPLY, they will be chosen for you based on the needs of the Navy. Browse the billets in JOAPPLY and email the POC for the billet with your questions. When you find one or two that you like, apply for them.

From the APPLY site:
NOTE: Junior Officers currently assigned to a billet that need to transfer before their 90-day PRD window due to relocation can do so by clicking on the "Reassignment Request Form" link in their JOAPPLY account menu. All others including IAP officers must apply for billets via JO APPLY.

There are these other things called Cross Assigned Out and Cross Assigned In, but you will not need to worry youself with them until you are fully-qualified and can apply for a real billet.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Re: Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Postby Messiah62 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info. That is a little over my head right now. I am coming from the ANG where I was always in a billet or I was an overage. So this JOAPPLY website just has a bunch of billets that I have to apply for to get a reserve slot? Will I not be in a slot when I get my commission?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby bubblehead » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Messiah62 wrote:Thanks for the info. That is a little over my head right now. I am coming from the ANG where I was always in a billet or I was an overage. So this JOAPPLY website just has a bunch of billets that I have to apply for to get a reserve slot? Will I not be in a slot when I get my commission?

You will be assigned to the closest unit to your home when you are commissioned.

If you are planning to move to Tampa, FL then I would communicate that to whomever you are speaking. Which begs the question, with whom have you spoken, besides your recruiter?

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I won't be moving for a few years. That is more of a goal. For now I am going to be assigned to an Intel unit at STRATCOM. That is where I work as a contractor. I have talked to another LT in that unit so far.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby Messiah62 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

I was commissioned this week and my first drill will be in June. Have any reserve officers had opportunities to go overseas to Europe or Japan for an extended amount of time (1 year+)?

Messiah62
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Naval Reserve IW